It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City of Toledo issues do not drink water advisery.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
If you are in the Northwest Ohio area don't drink the water!

www.toledoblade.com...

Also bottled water is almost sold out in some areas so stock up while you can.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Dinoking

Article says that you can't boil the water either.

Boiling the water will achieve the opposite effect and actually increase the concentration of toxins.

Higher than usual levels of microcystin is the cause according to the article.

Hope no one is seriously hurt by drinking the contaminated water.

Good luck if you live there!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
From the link you provided:

Algal blooms, often caused by the addition of nutrients to a water body, are made up of cyanobacteria, commonly called blue-green algae. Some cyanobacteria can produce toxins, called cyanotoxins. Although many blooms contain non-toxic species of cyanobacteria, lab tests are needed to determine whether a bloom is toxic or nontoxic. Some cyanotoxins can be toxic for humans, animals and plants. The health effects include nausea, vomiting, fever, rashes, and eye and ear irritation
Read more at www.toledoblade.com...

Many of the mass die-offs on the west coast of the USA are blamed on the same type organism. Water is something everyone should have at their house stored for such an event.. Bet some will learn their lesson from this, No?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Dinoking

I was talking about this just the other day with a couple of buddies. Most of them blew it off. Only one of them knew the actual danger.

I hope the word gets out and people pay attention. But I doubt it.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I live in Toledo... this is going to be interesting.....

Ventured out this morning... Kroger and Walmart already out of water at 7am...

I found a few small bottles at a local carryout. I'll save those for the wife and doggie.

I got, Gatorade, Pop and Milk. Oh yeah and

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Build back yard stills.

They can distill water, too.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Hope everyone stays calm and no water riots flare up.

Sooooo glad I have a well.

Stay safe people!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: elevatedone

There is talk about how this bloom will dwarf past ones. Detroit, Cleveland, Toledo even Canada will be affected by this if it keeps growing.

There will be a severe economic impact on this region...if.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: elevatedone

Buy ice bags on the supermarket and let them melt as need.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Most people in this area have basements, hence a lot of dehumidifiers. With power not an issue yet a good stop gap is to use the water accumulated from air if you have no other means. Filter, boil. Little things that people don't think of in panic situations. Can get you by awhile.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Lived in Toledo about 15 years and this happens occasionally. Wifey works for the local American Red Cross and has been up all night working as a result of this "disaster"...even rumors of some light rioting over bottled water being at a shortage in stores.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
We're headed out for the day, going East for some lunch and shopping.
I'll be about an hour east of the big T, thinking of hitting the local stores over there and picking up some water.

The news reported that people were driving from Toledo to Bowling Green and as far south as Findlay for water
and it's running low to the south of us. Also a report that someone drove to Ypsilanti, MI and couldn't find water
at one store.

Crazy I tell ya....

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
That blue green algae is in the canal near me since early summer there are warning posters so I dont fish the other week at the pub guys were jumping in the muppets I am in NW UK by the way....

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

Can you not filter it out?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Get a good filter.
Some garden shops carry filters if you cannot find one.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
www.13abc.com... -city-of-toledo-press-conference-on-water-crisis-in-its-entirety

Don't you love how he starts off the news conference with "this is off the record...". Then everyone giggles and kicks him in the shin, reporter babe turns back and looks at the camera weird.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Is this a Joke? He kind of looks like Corporal Klinger

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Thats Baghdad Bob. Was the one who would rush out in front of cameras and express "all is well" even while bombs were falling behind him.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: BoovDawg
Can you not filter it out?

originally posted by: g146541
Get a good filter.
Some garden shops carry filters if you cannot find one.

In the news conference posted above, the Health Commissioner said any kind of filtration will not work.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_
NONSENSE!
This is just propaganda to put people in fear and possibly to take peoples minds off of a very real issue.
Look here.
A snippet from the Aussie's, they know something about filtration...

RIVERBANK, SLOW SAND AND BIOLOGICAL FILTRATION

Riverbank filtration is a simple and effective treatment process which is widely used in some parts of the world. Water is abstracted from rivers by using bores (wells) close by, effectively filtering the raw water through the riverbank, usually consisting of sand, gravel or stones. Particulates including algae and cyanobacteria are removed by this filtration process. Many soluble contaminants are also removed by adsorption or by biological processes taking place in the biofilm on the sand/gravel grain surfaces, mainly in the first few centimetres of infiltration. In this process dissolved toxins can also be removed [[4]]. Bank filtration covers a wide range of conditions, with travel times between the river and the well of a few hours to several months. In case of short travel times the processes involved are comparable to those occurring in slow sand filters.

This pond scum, and that is all this microsystin cyanobacteria is, can be filtered, it plays nasty games on the equipment but CAN be filtered.
This is just the natural "slow sand" method, there are much better ways than just sand.
So, filter your water, just be prepared to clean your filter a bit sooner.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join