It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHO: 57 more deaths brings Ebola death toll to 729

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

GENEVA, July 31 — Fifty-seven more deaths from the Ebola epidemic spreading alarm in west Africa have pushed the overall fatality toll from the outbreak to 729, the World Health Organization said today.

It added that 122 new cases were detected over the four days, taking the total number of confirmed and likely infected cases to 1,323. — AFP

The most recent reported figures were 672 dead with 1201 infected so this represents a fairly significant percentage increase of fatalities and infections. You have to wonder how many are un- or under-reported.

I know that Ebola is traditionally not extremely contagious and requires fairly prolonged contact with a symptomatic and infected patient.

The problem is, that since more infections have taken place, more mutations probably have also. The virus could trade some of its lethality with ease of transmissibility and be extremely dangerous.

I figured this update warranted a thread of it's own.

Source article
edit on 31-7-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: lethality not legality

Contrast that with this article posted at the same time:

London, July 31 (IANS): The deadly Ebola virus does not pose a global threat, a latest report has claimed, adding that as long as the virus continues to infect people in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone, there is small risk of more long-distance export of the disease.

"There is no reason to assume that an exported case - be it to Lagos in Nigeria, a city of 17 million people, or any other place - will spark new outbreaks, because Ebola is not highly contagious," said the Nature report by author Declan Butler.
emphasis mine

Ebola outbreak not a global threat: Report

Granted healthcare infrastructure and education is better in much of the rest of the world, but people should be wary if this shows up outside of western Africa.

With up to three weeks of incubation time, there's quite a few places in which an infected person could be due to this:

Still, witnesses say Sawyer, a 40-year-old Liberian Finance Ministry employee en route to a conference in Nigeria, was vomiting and had diarrhea aboard at least one of his flights with some 50 other passengers aboard. Ebola can be contracted from traces of feces or vomit, experts say.

Sawyer was immediately quarantined upon arrival in Lagos–a city of 21 million people–and Nigerian authorities say his fellow travelers were advised of Ebola’s symptoms and then were allowed to leave. The incubation period can be as long as 21 days, meaning anyone infected may not fall ill for several weeks.

Ebola Victim Who Sparked Fears of a Worldwide Outbreak Was American
edit on 31-7-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: Contrast

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

This does begin to appear to be a significant disaster. I understand why they keep saying it shouldn't be of global concern, but........that 21 day incubation period makes this much more problematic in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
The Powers that be want to Depopulate and I guess this is it.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

As per usual, when a subject captures my interest, I have been scouring the web for articles as well as scientific research and havd thus found this:

According to the current state of the epidemiologic investigation, the suspected first case of the outbreak was a 2-year-old child who died in Meliandou in Guéckédou prefecture on December 6, 2013 (Figure 2). Patient S14, a health care worker from Guéckédou with suspected disease, seems to have triggered the spread of the virus to Macenta, Nzérékoré, and Kissidougou in February 2014.

As the virus spread, 13 of the confirmed cases could be linked to four clusters: the Baladou district of Guéckédou, the Farako district of Guéckédou, Macenta, and Kissidougou. Eventually, all clusters were linked with several deaths in the villages of Meliandou and Dawa between December 2013 and March 2014.

Emergence of Zaire Ebola Virus Disease in Guinea — Preliminary Report

Compare that to where it is now and you can see that it is not burning itself out but rather seems to be picking up steam. I hope it does repeat prior patters, but to date no other outbreak has travelled as far and records keep being broken.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: jaytay

729 deaths over 6 months out of 1.1 billion Africans?

Lets see thats 121 a month.

So lets see

1.1 billion Africans.

1.1 billion / 121

=9090909 months to kill 1.1 billion

So thats 757575 years to do the job.......

Ok great de population plan

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Thoughts on this.......

Ebola is considered to be contagious between people. Generally the infectious agent may be transmitted by saliva, air, cough, fecal-oral route, surfaces, blood, needles, blood transfusions, sexual contact, mother to fetus, etc.

link

During a good sneeze, up to 40,000 droplets of saliva may be expelled from the throat and some of them fly out of the mouth at speeds of up to over 60,000 kilometers per hour.

sneeze link

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

You're correct that it's a drop in the bucket...so far

Ever seen an exponential curve?

2014 West Africa Ebola outbreak wiki

Hopefully the slope levels out and begins a downward turn, but that does not appear to be the case.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Thanks. I only just heard about the "burn out" phenomenon. I also just heard that while this outbreak has broken the burn out records, its also dropped in lethality, down from 90% to 60% due to the development of new techniques in treatments and earlier intervention.

Who knows.........maybe this virus will morph into something with declining lethality!

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

time too change "ye olde Avatarus"

and counting,, gonna be the new,, in vouge countdown period.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

and maybe we both,can finally get that lottary win,,, probably not.

"Nature abhours a vacumn,,,,
even between the ears,,"

Niels Bourstien.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

So lets see

1.1 billion Africans.

1.1 billion / 121

Just like trains, they start out slow but it will pick up speed. The math isn't constant like you make it seem. You better hope it doesn't get faster because I sense denial in you. You can die at anytime just like anyone else, so what these victims go through dying from Ebola, just imagine what they go through.

Don't worry. There's nothing to fear. Death is a gift, but the question is are you willing to accept the gift.

That's where Christ comes in. All you have to do is believe in him. We have free will and we are able to change the outcome of the events but it's up to us. Are we willing to take up on our cross too as Jesus Christ did for all of us? I died for us because he loves. Don't forget that.

This a message for everyone. The opportunity is there, don't miss it.

edit on 31-7-2014 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TheProphetMark

but it's up to ass.

count me in

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Good catch, nice post. F&S&

You're right - it's a bloody huge jump, and most likely there are a whole lot more people exposed/infected who are hiding from the tracers and 'census-takers.' ...Found your figures on the WHO site yesterday, had an argument with a friend about it who was holding to Monday's figures being reported by the MSM. So good to give the numbers a separate thread, maybe keep it updated for big jumps?

As of 27 July 2014, the cumulative number of cases attributed to EVD in the four countries stands at 1 323 including 729 deaths. The distribution and classification of the cases are as follows: Guinea, 460 cases (336 confirmed, 109 probable, and 15 suspected) including 339 deaths; Liberia, 329 cases (100 confirmed, 128 probable, and 101 suspected) including 156 deaths; Nigeria, 1 case (1 probable who died); and Sierra Leone, 533 cases (473 confirmed, 38 probable, and 22 suspected) including 233 deaths.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

So lets see

1.1 billion Africans.

1.1 billion / 121

You've got those maths completely wrong.

You have to double the rates of people infected and then treble them and so on until you reach a much less time frame. Maybe 6 x 729 over the next 6 Months which would = 4374 by 12 Months time and then 12 x 4374 over the next 12 Months which would equal 52488 and so on... 12 x 52488 = 629856. You see in 4 years time it could be this high and I could be wrong, it could be more infected than that. It could actually take about 2000 years to reach 1.3 Billion. Or like I said it could be faster than that

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Not to mention all the deaths not officially recorded...

There are all apparently already entire villages in Africa with "dead people just laying all over the place." Homes with large families all dead inside.

Read here: Des' E Bola thread

edit on 1-8-2014 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I think the actual death toll is much higher than that. It would seem 729 is only including the confirmed cases reported in hospitals, reported by staff.

The number will go up. This now has the world's attention.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Update

These updated figures have already been posted in other threads, but I decided to go ahead and add them to this one for completeness:

1603 infected 887 dead in latest update from WHO

WHO 08/04/2014 Ebola update
edit on 4-8-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: fixed tag

new topics

top topics

join