It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family Living with American Doctor Who Contracted Ebola Return to the States

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: soficrow

Thanks, soficrow. I hope that remains correct.

You're welcome - and I do too. Unfortunately, this crisis is characterized by backtracking, damage control and lies, lies, lies. In this case though, it does seem believable that Brantly sent his family home to get them out of harm's way. ...Still, who knows whether or not they were exposed, via hubby/dad or others? As the incubation period can be up to 3 weeks, it remains important to find out when they returned.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Send them out of harms way or send them back where they would get MUCH better treatment? I hope, better yet, I pray that they were free of this virus when they arrived back here in the US..

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

Send them out of harms way or send them back where they would get MUCH better treatment?

Out of harms way, meaning removed from risk of exposure. As there is no treatment for Ebola, I'm not sure that would be "MUCH" better in the States. ...History shows that Ebola epidemics end when hospitals are closed to prevent continued exposures. IF anyone in the Brantly family is infected, and it is caught immediately, a US hospital might be better equipped to contain the virus - but given the proliferation of hospital-acquired infections in the US, I doubt it.

Epidemics subsided with using properly sterilized equipment, closure of hospitals, education of the populace, and institution of barrier precautions.

I hope, better yet, I pray that they were free of this virus when they arrived back here in the US..

Me too.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow
a reply to: loam

Even the early reports said Brantly's family was already in the States before he became ill - most likely he sent them home to get them out of harm's way when Ebola hit Liberia. Not sure if true, but seems quite plausible.

But that's still confirmation that they were around him when he contracted the virus. There's a possibility that he could've brought it home on his clothes or something.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: soficrow
a reply to: loam

Even the early reports said Brantly's family was already in the States before he became ill - most likely he sent them home to get them out of harm's way when Ebola hit Liberia. Not sure if true, but seems quite plausible.

But that's still confirmation that they were around him when he contracted the virus. There's a possibility that he could've brought it home on his clothes or something.

No confirmation 'cuz we do not know when they returned OR when he was infected - and quite unlikely he brought it home on his clothes (he wore protective gear and his scrubs would have been laundered in hospital). By all accounts this guy was a real pro, and very meticulous. More likely I think they might have been exposed from other contacts.

...Best not to get all panicky until all the relevant info is in and verified.

ETA - The important info at this point is that this family returned to the US from a known hot spot with an Ebola epidemic - just like lots of other people.

edit on 28/7/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: jhn7537

I'm hoping it is being misreported too. It's frustrating the situation with these three isn't more clear.

Do you know if there is a test that was given to the wife/kid to see if they were carriers? I undestand that the incubation period can be up to 21 days before symptoms begin to show, but can a simple blood test show if the person (in question) is carrying the disease, even though it hasn't manifested itself yet?

Being in Chicago and knowing that these two are in Indiana is too close for comfort for me...

I really don't want to bug out, but if this thing starts spreading I'm out of here like a boner in sweat pants...

if it has made it to the USA i reckon it will spread worldwide fairly fast so i am not sure where you could bug out to that would be safe

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
This family should have been quarantined upon entering the states, period, symptomatic or not. They still could have been exposed, and great caution and care is needed right now. I shake my head at the carelessness of the situation. If this doctor wore layers of protective clothing while caring for patients, and still contracted the virus, then we are looking at something that is potentially airborne, yes?

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

This may sound a bit over dramatic, perhaps crazy, but once I get wind of ebola, of all things.. edging near my state, I'm out of here. I'll be setting up shop in a cave I discovered while hiking in the mountains. I'll have all of the necessities needed with me. Hopefully I'll ride the storm out there, and it will be over before winter comes. I've definitely had the thought in the back of my mind where I'll be going during situations like this. As it is, swine flu gets my hackles up.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

My hope is that he recognized his moment of exposure and shipped the family home before he became contagious, or as currently reported, that they just happened to leave in time.

I also hope they are quarantined.

edit on 7/28/1414 by NoAngel2u because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   
The shortest cook time for the virus is 20 days if I recall right. But that number is hard to prove since the time of infection is even harder to figure out.

Body fluid is counted as any fluid that comes from the body, that counts sweating. Blood was the transfer means found when it made the jump from moneys and pigs to humans. I know a few other species that can carry the virus, but not all of them and I'm not sure if our native species have the same risk of being a carrier. But it's one of the main why the virus spreads and how it's jumped all current block to stop it's spread.

The only one I know of that is counted as a reservoir for the virus is bats. For the people who don't know what a "reservoir species" is. It any species that can carry the virus but is not effected by it.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
we've got a ton of people flowing over the southern border coming from god knows where carrying god knows what and everyone is panicked about a doctor's family coming into the country??

if I understand correctly this doctor is one of the world's leading experts in the field! I got a feeling that if he had his family with him he made sure that they were quite knowledgeable as to how to avoid infection. I find it hard to believe that they would be dumb enough to be visiting family if they had any reason to think that they were carrying it.
I'd be surprised if they brought it into the country.

meanwhile we do have a homeless man and immigrant somewhere in the country that are carrying drug resistant tb. and the homeless man doesn't want to be found.
he probably is running away from the hospital bill

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Tatanka

it is scary....i live in rural Australia and even here i am not sure if i could outrun the hell.....good to have a plan though...stay safe

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
My kids are grown but I seriously don't recall them trailing blood or semen or even saliva behind them where ever they went. . Do you have children? Or one of those big dogs that drool in long slimy ropes? n reply to: loam

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
It would have to be. But the information I've read on this and admittedly it's not extensive and I'm not a doctor but it did say it was spread through fluids. Like the aids virus which doesn't infect people just by casual touch. o reply to: Tatanka

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Am I alone in seeing a critical credibility problem?

They are looking at an outbreak for one of the scariest diseases man has ever encountered. It's acting in new ways and not burning itself out as it normally does by nature. This time it's in a biological Disneyland of hosts and variety.

Can they say with absolute confidence and without the slightest doubt that the Ebola strain they are working with has not mutated and will not mutate it's transmission methods?

Thought not.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

edit on AMu31u0773147312014-07-28T08:47:39-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
That's good so he's not an idiot doctor with a stupid family as some member so nicely called them. a reply to: soficrow

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Here is the information provided by WHO. It does say sweat so the member who posted that was correct. It can spread by handling soiled linens from the beds of the ill. This is scary however I'm sure that this family won't be careless. I wonder given how careful the doctor supposedly was how he contracted the disease. There apparently is still much that is unknown about Ebola.

www.afro.who.int... morrhagic-fever.html

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
a reply to: ObjectZero

The aids virus is spread through fluids and that does not count sweat. Where did you read that it includes sweat please? That is vital information if it's even true. Everyone knows that you can't get aids from casual touch or even eating from the same fork. Why would this blood bourne disease be different?
I hope you have verifiable facts and are not merely posting what you think to frighten people.

Just pointing out that Fluid transfer includes sweat, I didn't list the other main ones counted in fluid. Only reason I pointed it out was due to people listing blood as the only transfer between humans. When it's only really list as "body fluids and mainly blood" meaning it transfers other ways.

You also need to take in to account on how the virus works on the body. Mainly it turning organs in to a liquid, now this is only in the last stages on the virus so far (I say so far cause it can change and we only know of 4 version of the virus). When the organs start to turn to liquid it gets mixed up with other fluids in the body.

Ebola Doc' without boarders

Above is a link to Doctors Without Boards info on Ebola. You note it say body fluids not just blood. But to ease the fears I've just put up. Also note that people have survived Ebola. Please also note some people are just immune to the virus, and one version of the virus has already made it to the US be for with no major "world ending" outbreak.

Here is the full CDC report.

CDC Ebola report

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
How did you link a post I deleted?. a reply to: ObjectZero

edit on AM000000310000000773138312014-07-28T09:38:14-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on AMu31u0773138312014-07-28T09:38:29-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join