It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick question about the short story forum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Does ATS own anything I post in the short story forum. I know all T&C's apply, but just want clarification for my own peace of mind. Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been answered a thousand times.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

From the T&Cs:

17) Rights In Posted Materials: By posting on this message board, you relinquish all exclusive copyrights to any materials you Post and furthermore, you grant TAN non-exclusive, non-revocable worldwide, royalty-free rights to copy, distribute, display, reproduce, modify, adapt, create derivative works, and publicly perform the materials in perpetuity in all forms. This license applies to all works of authorship including, but not limited to, written materials (e.g., text), audio, audio-visual materials, graphics, and images (including, but not limited to, graphics and images used as avatars). You also grant all third parties the right to copy, distribute, display, reproduces, and publicly perform the materials you post under the terms of the Creative Commons License. TAN has the authority to decide to display your postings or not, and you grant TAN the right to modify your posts, remove offensive material, modify your post title to accurately reflect content, remove vulgar comments, remove insults, or delete any other content deemed inappropriate, all at our discretion.

I think basically the idea is you own the writings still but ATS reserves the rights to reproduce or modify it as they see fit.

It would largely depend on what you wanted to use the writings for. If you were planning to have work published it may affect those chances posting work on a public forum.

Either way, post up some stuff, the SS forum has been a little dormant of late.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Thank you for the clarification. I really appreciate it.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

tothetenthpower is one of the mods. He answered this question a while ago but I can't find the answer. It was the best answer ever to the question.

I will try to remember as best I can.

You still own the copyright although ATS can use the content, but only the content you have put up here.

This story here, www.abovetopsecret.com... is one of mine and is now the forward to a whole book. ATS can reproduce that small portion of the book, and only in the version that is up on ATS.

On the other hand as, tothetenthpower has stated, some writers here have got their publishing break from short stories on this site! So you need to consider the whole gambit.

No publisher is going to refuse your work because a tiny part of it is up on a site. In fact, they would just look at it as free advertising and as testing the waters.

There are no negatives to writing on this site, only positives!

If you need more info, perhaps contact tothetenthpower by U2U.

Since tothetenthpower will see this at some point, may I suggest you find that great answer and make it a sticky in the Short Stories Forum with my thanks. This question does get asked periodically so a sticky would help no end.

P

edit on 24/7/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join