It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Message For Our Friends In The U.S.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
It is possible for me to be less interested in this subject than I am at this moment.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I could care less. I could also care more, but at this time, I could care less. If I say I couldn't care less, that would imply that I have reached the end of how little I could care. That is a very sad place to be. I don't think anyone should reach then end of their ability to care. Therefore, your point is invalid and your argument is lost. I claim victory on behalf of America. Long live the queen.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
I could care less. I could also care more, but at this time, I could care less. If I say I couldn't care less, that would imply that I have reached the end of how little I could care. That is a very sad place to be. I don't think anyone should reach then end of their ability to care. Therefore, your point is invalid and your argument is lost. I claim victory on behalf of America. Long live the queen.

Pity you couldn't have told " ol' Blue Eyes" before he popped his clogs. He has let your side down badly

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Some help on how to learn proper English. Enjoy I did.

edit on 24-7-2014 by silverflame because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

"I have seen members from The U.S. post on ATS threads the saying " I could care less"

STOP

The correct saying is " I couldn't care less"

www.worldwidewords.org...

Rant over."

I never knew there was a space required between the first quotation mark and the first word! Thank you for solving our problems oh intellectual one!

Now, for helping our country with such a rampant problem, I will offer free orthodontic services to the first five Brits!

JAK

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: oldetimehockey4

Sweet! A little extra attention to dental hygiene is never a bad thing and the oversized recliners in American dentist surgeries must be exceptionally comfortable for normal sized humans.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: JAK

Hmm. I guess the sweets go to our bellies, while the sweets go to your teeth.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: JAK

I should be nice though, Brits gave the world Dog Soldiers, and for that I will be eternally grateful.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Yep, I classify this as a typical "american typo".

There's a whole list of them at

americantypo.site11.com...

And the one you mentioned is included - and as you can see, it's just the tip of the iceberg.

Prepare to be shocked before viewing that list.. (it's plain text, no ads, no scripts or anything)

Those typos are collected from real-world examples, none of it is hypothetical.

Amazing, isn't it?

And the "American" is a nice jab at the nationalistic, America-centric attitude of Americans. They often use "America" or "This Country" (without specifying the country, as if we should all know it's USA they are talking about - and of course, by them doing this, we can, but that's beside the point) as a synonym for 'The World' or 'The West'.

It's sad, that they are so deeply entrenched in this worldview, where this planet consists mostly of USA and then "the rest of the world", that may include something like 'europe', 'vietnam' and perhaps 'china' somewhere, and with luck, also 'japan'.

Mention Bulgaria or Estonia, and most of them would probably become a big question mark.

So, although most 'natively' english-speaking people are guilty of at least some of those 'american typos', by calling them 'american typos' shows how annoying it can be to generalize international or western things to be 'american' or 'this country' things.

Funnily, some people, who live in USA and identify with dutiful patriotism as flag-fearing (or however that pledge goes) 'American Citizens' (which no one should ever do, because to do so is to render unusable your unalienable human rights in exchange for 'civil liberties', that can be taken away), actually get annoyed if they are called 'Americans', because 'America' is not only the United States of America - it's also the Canada of America and the Lower Bit of America. The whole concept of 'America' is not very clear to me, actually, because it is used in so many different contexts, and no one seriously ever says 'Canada of America', or 'Mexico of America', so who knows.

(But what SHOULD they be called - - - THAT they don't know..)

In any case, I have ranted about this a lot, and that list clearly shows that there's plenty to rant about.

Many of us (who know how to type english) have some kind of a 'pet peeve', like "stop using "would of" instead of "would have", or "stop saying 'loose' instead of 'lose'" - but that list really shows that all those pet peeves are part of a HUGE, ENORMOUS, LARGE-SCALE EPIDEMIC that's running rampant without anyone being able to do anything about it, but just try to inform people.. who won't listen, of course.

I can't really understand the attitude and the mental laziness, the ignorance and the ego-based false pride and downright hostile outlook that leads to these 'american typos'. How long does it take to check how a word is spelled? How long does it take to enable a spell-checker? (No wonder that so many browsers have this option on as default - but I guess these morons turn it off immediately, because they don't like to see red lines under most of their words.. perhaps they don't realize it actually MEANS something)

Yeah, so .. let's all just suffer together from this phenomenon, and try to ponder what it means, how it was born, why does it exist, and why does it persist .. and how it could be ended some fine day.

Because I consider myself a relatively 'low-watt bulb', as the saying goes, and yet I can type english without such problems (at least most of the time), I can never trust anything anyone says that can't spell a simple word correctly. It's like typing 'bus' like 'beous' or something. It just boggles the mind! How can I consider anyone intelligent, if they can't type a simple, short english word or a famous name correctly?

Sure, mistakes and typos are part of life, I have created an embarrassing amount of them without even noticing until afterwards (when it's usually too late).. but these are something else. They are not honest mistakes, errors or typos - they are 'AMERICAN TYPOS', that define laziness, rotten attitude, hostility, huge ego and dare I say it; STUPIDITY.

If the americans would wave their precious flag a little less, and do a little less pledging to a piece of cloth, and use the time freed to actually learn how english is supposed to be spelled, we might not really have much of a problem.

As it is now, we have a crisis in our hands; you can't go to a forum, discussion board, or any kind of similar place (or mostly even read a professional article these days - or even in the eighties and from thereon) to read messages and posts, and not regularly and constantly be bombarded by 'american typos'.

It's frustrating, as there's nothing anyone can do about it, except the morons.. and would it really be wise to expect morons to perform intellectual activities?
edit on 25-7-2014 by Shoujikina because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-7-2014 by Shoujikina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Shoujikina

*yawn*

For as much as you people refer to Americans as morons, pathetic, blah blah blah, you sure seem to not be able to let it go. I like to chalk it up to jealousy, and if not, an obsession.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: oldetimehockey4
a reply to: Shoujikina

*yawn*

For as much as you people refer to Americans as morons, pathetic, blah blah blah, you sure seem to not be able to let it go. I like to chalk it up to jealousy, and if not, an obsession.

Jealousy?

Of what exactly?

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Is this a warning officer, or are we going to get tickets? What is someone saying, I could care less,really going to add up to in anyone's life? That's what I thought.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Well maybe they were saying "I could care less" meaning,that yah, I guess I could care a little less.
Ya think about That?!
LOL! Kiddin of course. Syx.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join