It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tony Blair Tells Europe to Quit Begging the U.S. for Help

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Tony Blair has called for Europe to pull itself together and stop begging the United States for help every time something goes wrong.

The former British prime minister said it was time the continent stood on its own two feet more than 70 years after America intervened decisively in the Second World War. Recent crises in the region and conflicts in countries along the border have exposed the total reliance on Washington to alter events within Europe’s neighborhood.

www.thedailybeast.com...

I thought this an interesting article and wanted to share it with all.

It is not a debate on 'Merica and WWII. But it does open to discussion how relevant the US should be with issues and concerns in Europe and with the EU.

Let's face facts. The US is weak right now. We have a weak economy, a weak leadership, a weak foreign policy. About the only thing that has gotten stronger in that past few years is Obamas golf swing on the back nine.

I'm sure there are many that would love to see the US stay out of concerns within Europe that have nothing to do with the US.

So I open the question to you, ATS.

Should the US just butt out of matters within the EU, Europe?

As always, read, reply, ignore or duct tape raw calamari to angry badgers. . . . . . I leave it up to you.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I've said it quite a few times here over the past several years.

The EU is all growed up now. The US should pull out and leave them to their own devices. Germany lost the war but came out as the EUs economic powerhouse winner.

While we're at it we should leave NATO and the UN.

'Meruca, F-yeah"

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Yep .. let the eu sort its own messes.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888

Yeah, so kindly get the F out of Ukraine. Remove your NATO bases from EU states, stop threating us with economic reprisals if we don't toe your UN vote line.

Also remove all your banks.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   
yes ! kick the US dictators out of the EU a reply to: Expat888

edit on 22-7-2014 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I would be interested to see a valid argument "FOR" US intervention in Europe.

Lately, it seems that we can't even take care of our own domestic messes. What valid reason would we have to interfere with another country's issue?

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: moobie

originally posted by: Expat888

Yeah, so kindly get the F out of Ukraine. Remove your NATO bases from EU states, stop threating us with economic reprisals if we don't toe your UN vote line.

Also remove all your banks.

1. Im not in ukraine
2. got friends there and in russia along with an ex-wife in russia
3. theyre not my damn bases .
4. not my damn banks .. I dont use any banks as refuse to be a slave to the banks .. yakuza have more honour and are better to deal with than damn bankers.. lawyers and politicians ..

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I'm going to duct tape raw calamari to angry badgers. Seriously, I say we need to stay out of the EU's business. I'm not saying we should become isolationist, but we should just stick to trade with other countries like our forefathers wanted. It would be much better for us if we did. I have to agree with Slayer on leaving the UN and NATO as well. We don't need to be the 911 of the world. We have proven that we are not grown up enough to handle that responsibly. Instead we are going in and causing revolutions in other countries and attacking smaller countries to wipe out their governments. That is not our place. Let those people decide for themselves what government they want and when they want it. Not have us come in and tear up their country for their resources then leave the country in a mess. And yes Libya and Iraq are total messes as we can see. I'm tired of trumped up wars over lies and seeing the death counts. We learned nothing from Vietnam except we can get away with it. We are the worlds bullies and thats why we are hated.

We have diplomats that have as much diplomacy as my little pinky. We have Leaders who don't lead. We have negotiators that can't negotiate. All I see now is our people walking around pointing their fingers at other countries faces and threatening them,calling names,and talking down about other world leaders. Really?!! This is how adults act?

Boy was my mom off. She taught me that if you go and stick your finger in someones face or threaten them or call names you are picking a fight and she would kick your butt for it. It seems our so called leaders never learned this from their parents and are making all Americans look stupid.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Lately, it seems that we can't even take care of our own domestic messes. What valid reason would we have to interfere with another country's issue?

America is a member of NATO is it not? If so, then it has responsibilities as do the other members.

If Blair had said America should remove their interests in Israel it would be a more valid point (whether I agree with it or not).

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

America is a member of NATO is it not? If so, then it has responsibilities as do the other members.

If Blair had said America should remove their interests in Israel it would be a more valid point (whether I agree with it or not).

Should the US remove itself from NATO then? If not, then what responsibilities does the US have that, say Belgium, doesn't have?

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

The EU is all growed up now.

Yup now its time for the USA to do its growing up.

Id suggest attending some debt management classes

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I have to ask.

If the US/NATO didn't do squat about the Ukraine issue even though they had a legitimate reason to get involved then whats the point of being a part of such an organization?

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Not really a valid argument unless Russia starts invading NATO states and becomes a threat to KEY US allies. USA doesn't want to find itself alone and lose its valuable trade partners,.

The rich West and North Europe fall and its USA+Japan/sooth Korea against the world. Not great odd economically or military.

Ok you have Israel and Saudi Arabia but they are in the US circle of friends for there OWN selfish gains and will stab the USA in the back at the slightest chance.
edit on 22-7-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   

I have to ask.

If the US/NATO didn't do squat about the Ukraine issue even though they had a legitimate reason to get involved then whats the point of being a part of such an organization?

Ukraine is technically NATO so really the USA doesn't have to get involved.

Plus what would you suggest by involved? A full scale war with Russia is a definite NO NO.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Absolutely

The Eu has a Population of over 745 Million people or 2.5x the USA and 5x the size of Russia, from both a POV of a tax base to pay for their own defense and the overwhelming manpower to do so, Having the US toe to toe with Russia is a bad idea, we should be to Europe as part of Nato what we were in WW2, a back up line of defense that assures victory, Europe's personal Trunk Monkey, not it's first line of defense.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

The EU should start taking on more responsibility for their own actions and needs. We have our own issues to deal with here. Having such a huge American foot print in Europe since the end of WW-II has helped Western Europe enjoy one of the longest periods of Peace.

Let's see if they can keep that ball rolling while we regroup for our own salvation.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: criticalhit

I agree.

Fact is the UK could match Russia in itself as our military spending is near the same and our Navy and Air force are a league above them in tec.

France and Germany? Russia = No chance a offensive war unless they go nuclear.

USA should only be a back up, maybe provide some missile defence and some Air defence and that's about it.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Plus what would you suggest by involved? A full scale war with Russia is a definite NO NO.

Russia getting in a full scale war with NATO/US is a bigger NO NO.

The point I'm trying make is that what's the point of being a part of an organization that wont honor their agreements? The Ukraine gave up their nukes in exchange for a security arrangement with the West.

That fell flat on it's face for various reasons....

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   

The EU should start taking on more responsibility for their own actions and needs. We have our own issues to deal with here. Having such a huge American foot print in Europe since the end of WW-II has helped Western Europe enjoy one of the longest periods of Peace.

Let's see if they can keep that ball rolling while we regroup for our own salvation.

I agree.

To a point. It should handle ots own squabbles ect

But it would be stupid and fatal for the USA to let Europe go under if Russia did one day kick things off Hitler style. Lucky its decades from being in any such position. But if Russia go full hilter then its the worlds problem not just Europe s.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

It works best for both parties, in the past the situation was so bad that realistically if Russia managed to decapitate the US they could have walked over Europe (of course i'm talking cold war) but the Russians did manage to assemble nukes on our soil in the past.

The WW2 situation where the US was there intact and capable of providing immense back up was a strategic situation that Europe should keep.

And I really like thinking of my country as a "Trunk Monkey" I think it's the best description I have ever come up with for the USA

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join