It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Inks Deal with Novartis to Bring Smart Contact Lens To Market

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
www.theverge.com...

Google and Novartis have this morning announced an agreement to collaborate on the development of the smart contact lens that was unveiled by Google X in January. Using non-invasive sensors, the lens promises to analyze tear fluid in the eye to provide constant measurements of a person's blood glucose levels. Those can then be sent wirelessly to a mobile device and help diabetics manage their disease more easily. Novartis has now licensed the technology and, through its eye-care subsidiary Alcon, will look to develop it into a commercial product. Google co-founder Sergey Brin has said that his company is "very excited to work with Novartis [on using] the latest technology in the miniaturization of electronics to help improve the quality of life for millions of people."

This is fascinating. A big step forward for both wearable and Cybernetics.
edit on 15-7-2014 by Vdogg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Darn, and here I thought they were moving forward with Morgan Freeman's prototype. Update your Facebook with a wink, or record a concert with a roll of the eyes. Just be careful not to look down when you're using the bathroom, or you might flood your friends and associates with compromising footage!

edit on 15-7-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I can't wait for the smart condom....to be like "hey buddy...trust me..you don't want this one"....heyo! I'm here all week.

At what point will everything be "smart"...and what will the next line of things be called...

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
I can't wait for the smart condom....to be like "hey buddy...trust me..you don't want this one"....heyo! I'm here all week.

At what point will everything be "smart"...and what will the next line of things be called...

Imagine if they did that, and gave the condom the voice of a drill sergeant. "ALRIGHT MEN, ENTER THE BREACH! LEAVE NO SURVIVORS! GO GO GO! YOU CALL THAT A GUN? I CALL THAT A PEE SHOOTER!"

Oh, the possibilities...

edit on 15-7-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

Well, I think the ability to have a contact lens monitor your blood glucose level and transmit that wirelessly and continuously to your phone would be the very definition of smart in this context. A normal contact lens certainly couldn't do this. Novartis has also stated that this will not be the only application, and are striving to make them implantable in the future. Having a diabetic in my family I personally think that this is a fantastic technology, especially for someone who may already have to wear contacts anyway.

new topics

top topics

join