It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nellis AFB solicitation for GoPro cameras (F3G1MN4156A001-GoProCameras)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Solicitation

Solicitation Number: F3G1MN4156A001-GoProCameras

Added: Jul 09, 2014 4:46 pm This is a Request for Information (RFI) on GoPro HERO3+ Black Edition Cameras (10 EACH). Funding is not available for any information or proposals submitted. Submitting information does not bind the Air Force for any future contracts/grants resulting from this RFI.

The Government is looking for information on companies that can provide GoPro HERO3+ Black Edition Cameras (10 Each). No other brand will be sufficient or accepted.

Your guess is as good as mine as to "why." I just report the "what."

Nellis does train in Death Valley (well last time I checked). It could be as simple as they are going to mount these on quads for after-action purposes.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Those cameras are wi-fi enabled. They can send back pictures to base station through wi-fi as well as support a timelapse feature and 4K HD resolutions, and wide-angle views.

Imagine being in your team and being able to instantaneously see what anyone else is seeing in a HD widescreen format.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Looking at what data I can find on the internet, the wifi antenna is built in, i.e. no high gain antenna option.
GoPro+ HERE3+ Black Edition

The DoD, though mostly the US Army, makes use of the Rover, which is a video sharing scheme. So the DoD already has video networking. I think these cameras are more likely to be used for documentation. I recall a few years ago when I was at the Nellis AFB Expo, I noticed a VHS recorder (yes, this was a while ago) in the cabin of the MI-24 Hind. They videotaped the training.

I'm not ruling these out as cameras for use with base security. Nellis AF police (I forget the exact term) do contact the public. Park by their fence and you will get a visit.

join