It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why grammar and spelling matter

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
I absolutely agree, that persons who have English as a second language, ought to be respected...

In that case I shall graciously overlook all the extra u's that you British and Canadians superfluously add to words to make you sound more better then me.

Flavouuuuuuur. Do the extra letters make it taste better?

edit on 10-7-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzCory
Dear Buzz, You are absolutely right!!! But I think that overusing ! and ? is like having too many diablo peppers in the chili.
There can be too much of a good thing. Right??? (If you don't think that I overdid it, then you probably have had too much caffeine!!!!!)

edit on 10-7-2014 by Diderot because: one "have" too many, one cup of coffee too much

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
Posting here on ATS, I wonder if you ever feel like someone who speaks English as a second language.
Hmm?

edit on 10-7-2014 by Diderot because: errant ?

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Dear AM, Yes, these Anglos and their humour, and colour, and parlour, and their valour, and their auto bonnet and boot, and their serviette is not a nappy, cause a nappy's around the bum... But you know what's a load of bollocks? WHILST!!! Now what the bloody 'ell is up with that??

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
'Size Maters' is the name of a boat owned by a Mr. Maters I know.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Hehe!

Well, I tend to look at the issue of words like flavour, honour and so on, in the following manner.

Look at this word :

Creator. When one speaks this word, it comes out of ones mouth like this ... Kre-ate-OR. The OR part is accentuated and harsh when compared with the ending of words like flavour.

Here is a hairy scoundrel, who will elucidate further....

edit on 10-7-2014 by TrueBrit because: Corrected video insertion.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Diderot

I understand your point.

But also consider that people who are new to forums, and maybe new to a computer, do not yet have the communication skills that typing requires. It is a learned skill. We all constantly learn it as we participate in these forums.

My typing,spelling and grammar improved only after years of online communication.

In order to be that archer and hit the bulls eye, you have to practice.
Unfortunately with online communication, the only way to practice is to do it and learn as you go.
(and maybe get a spell checker)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Diderot

To be honest, sometimes I just think to myself "Oh! That word is missing a letter. How quaint! I do so enjoy communicating with people who have a regional dialect!".

To be honest, many people around these parts, missing U's aside, write better English than people I live around. My neighbours cannot be considered bookish by any means!

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

A box of Gilettes are on their way over to you oh hairy scoundrel... I am honoured to say...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

Adornments for my cricket bat?

Thank you Rod!

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Hmmm. Seemed like a rational enough explanation and then it dawned on me...

This man drinks to much liquor.

Or not enough.

edit on 10-7-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
It's about communication.
Once we stop having an agreed standard way of saying things, communication breaks down.
When I was a child, I told my father I was going to invent my own language. He pointed out that nobody would be able to understand me. That's where we're heading.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: Rodinus

Adornments for my cricket bat?

Thank you Rod!

Adornments or adournements... awww... nuts... never mind...

Right... where has that bottle gone again?

Have a great evening/afternoon/day folks...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Right on True! Ya make sense to me Bud! Good Vid BTW. Gonna paste it into The Shed later. With yer permission of course! Yah, I know, my slang sucks to some. But Hey, I don't mind! LOL!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
H'mmmmmmm.
Ever been to Liverpool? (Merseyside, England).
It's pronounced "creat-er" there, mostly....
I'm not saying that's good form, just an observation.

Sorry, now I am just being silly.

edit on 10-7-2014 by EnochRoot because: addition

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
It's about communication.
Once we stop having an agreed standard way of saying things, communication breaks down.
When I was a child, I told my father I was going to invent my own language. He pointed out that nobody would be able to understand me. That's where we're heading.

Sometimes nothing is more effective than deliberately misspelled words or awkward grammar, or as informative as accidentally misspelled ones and bad grammar.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Psynic
However, people who pronounce and spell "you cannot do that" as "you can do that" are definitely impeding communication.
They are making it impossible to tell the difference between "yes" and "no", which is truly basic.

edit on 10-7-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Feel free! I have no particular reason to limit the free use of my video!

Share away!

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: EnochRoot

Yes... Yes you are!

I approve of this!

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I dunno, hookt on fonix wurkt fur mee.

Seriously, I have friends with children in grade schools and these children are no longer taught cursive writing, spelling (as long as spell check recognizes the correct word it all good) or for the most part proper grammar.

I feel truly sorry for our next generations. It reminds me of the movie "idiocacy", where the entire nation no longer knew how to farm or repair anything.

I hope we never get to that level.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join