It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bomb Fears Lead To More Airport Gadget Checks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

The heightened security is believed to be the result of US intelligence that al Qaeda's chief bomb maker, Igrahim Hassan al Asri, is passing on his knowledge to jihadists in Syria.

The moves comes following reports two terror networks are working together on a bomb that could evade existing measures.

No specific routes have been highlighted, and the spokesman said they hope to "minimise disruption as far as possible".

A spokesman for DfT said: "In line with the US advice, passengers on some routes into and out of the UK may now also be required to show that electronic devices in their hand luggage are powered up or face not being allowed to bring the device onto the aircraft.

Bomb Fears Lead To More Airport Gadget Checks

Not sure what to think of what's going on lately, I guess they know of a specific threat based on this information.

Just thought I would post in case anyone had not seen this yet.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: civpop

Seen this earlier and Reading elsewhere but it linked to more here, that this is will make it easier for explosives to pass through. It's according to a whistle blower. With that as you mentioned, that it might be known of a specific threat, this will just make it easier apparently.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Of course, my first thought was, "They thought of a way to purloin more expensive items."
My family regularly loses nice things each time a TSA paw gets near their stuff.

edit on 8-7-2014 by TheCounselor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Yeah cuz everyone knows those underwear bombs and shoe bombs were lethal too. The TSA is comedy. Our southern border is wide open. What is this obsession with combining terrorists and planes in a plot to scare everyone? If someone wanted to do us harm they could just walk across the border and do something crazy at a soccer game. Is there some hidden rule amongst terrorists I dont know about? They just know how to extract data off of peoples phones and we found out about it. People probably started taking their batteries out of the phones and such because they were aware that connecting to the airport wifi leaves you wide open to intrusion. So of course....so we don't have any more whistleblowers trying to escape the country with information.....the "terrorists" are gonna do something with smartphones.
edit on 9-7-2014 by rustyclutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: rustyclutch

Hm, maybe it's because the last major terrorist attack on the US was perpetrated by hijacked aircraft? Or because a bomb on a plane is a simple, practically foolproof way to kill hundreds of people? The underwear and shoe bombers were incompetent morons, and it'd be a lot easier to conceal a potentially dangerous bomb (bigger than the shoes and underwear) in something like a laptop.

Edit to add: not that just being able to power up a device can demonstrate that it's safe, the only way to do that is to completely strip it down to a pile of parts. In fact, making a working explosive inside a powered gadget would likely work even better than one in a hollowed-out shell, because it could be made far more reliable by tapping the onboard power supply for detonation.
edit on th12am09America/Chicago282014Wednesdayf by ShadeWolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ShadeWolf
"Thanks, Marco, now it's got wheels!"

You basically suggested to TSA to render the expensive devices into a pile of plastic dry goods.
Well, at least this way, we wouldn't lay awake at night wondering about the sticky fingered fatass using our stuff.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Yesterday in my Country ( the Netherlands ) a law was activated , for all Flights from Schiphol Amsterdam Airfield to The United States the security measures has been cranked up , You need prove your electronic devices in your suitcase are working , if any battery is empty these items will be confiscated...

All because people who go fight in Syria can come back with to my country without any problems , they should strip them of their dutch passport and have them send back to Syria.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Exactly

Or smuggle bombs and weapons in via boat.

Only a idiot would use planes these days.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ShadeWolf

Hm, maybe it's because the last major terrorist attack on the US was perpetrated by hijacked aircraft? Or because a bomb on a plane is a simple, practically foolproof way to kill hundreds of people? The underwear and shoe bombers were incompetent morons, and it'd be a lot easier to conceal a potentially dangerous bomb (bigger than the shoes and underwear) in something like a laptop.

Edit to add: not that just being able to power up a device can demonstrate that it's safe, the only way to do that is to completely strip it down to a pile of parts. In fact, making a working explosive inside a powered gadget would likely work even better than one in a hollowed-out shell, because it could be made far more reliable by tapping the onboard power supply for detonation.

Yeah your lucky Muslim terrorists seem thick as crap and incapble of novel thought to try new ideas. The day someone with intelligence joins the jihad all sorts of nasty stuff would happen in the USA due to how easy it is to get things through.

As for planes? Well fact is it easy to to down a plane. Only way you can have 100% fool proof security is to ban all luggage and make all passengers ride naked.
You have to accept the fact the odd terrorist attack is going to happen or sacrifice all your privacy and rights for security.
Id rather see the odd terrorist attack happen than see all my freedoms disappear.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheCounselor

Of course, my first thought was, "They thought of a way to purloin more expensive items."
My family regularly loses nice things each time a TSA paw gets near their stuff.

I have lost count of the number of items at airports I've been told are "forbidden" I've argued so much with them that you just end up giving in, small (well under 100ml) perfume, lipstick, snow globe (which they sold me in the airport then because I had to go out and back through security they took off me). Ridiculous.

TheGreazel

They have issued similar across in UK as far as I can tell, chaos was witnessed at Manchester Airport in light of the new security checks also.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: civpop

originally posted by: TheCounselor

I have lost count of the number of items at airports I've been told are "forbidden" I've argued so much with them that you just end up giving in, small (well under 100ml) perfume, lipstick, snow globe (which they sold me in the airport then because I had to go out and back through security they took off me). Ridiculous.

TheGreazel

yeah a lot of the rules are just arbitrary and have no real effect. some actual weapons are let in the cabin, while other non weapons are not. some airports (countries?) have stricter (and weird) rules than others. and lets not forget about the idiocy of having to go through the SAME security checks right after getting off an airplane, before entering the general areas of the airport for a connecting flight. even the fact the plastic "silverware" they give for economy class could be used as weapons more easily than some things you are not allowed to have. and at the same time those in first class are obviously more trusted as they get actual metal silverware even more useful as a weapon. or even the things you have to do that make some sense, but because it only applies to some people yet not others renders it completely ineffective. and ANYTIME you ask about any of the rules you get one answer it is rules from the US, we have no choice even when it IS allowable in the US (lieing pricks)

i have seen bows and arrows more than once in the cabin as people are stowing their carry ons. i'm not joking. perfectly operational bows, and not even "target" arrows, but hunting arrows. these are in the form of native souvenirs people bring back home from many countries. yet they can still be used to lethal effect by almost anyone who ever shoots a bow. yet nail clippers and things like 1 inch knives are too dangerous to let on? now that is kinda stupid.

then you have airports in Tokyo that have rules, too bad all signage is in Japanese script no one else can read and no other languages, so not even sure it is just the airport and not in Japan proper and the staff could barely speak enough english to tell me "not allowed", and point to a sign in kanji script with a picture of an obviously fake "throwing star lighter" (so how can i even be sure if the issue that the sign refers to is the weapon or the lighter?) that apparently state nothing that even resembles a weapon can be let in the airport. i bought an umbrella (made in Japan of course), that had an obvious plastic "hilt" for a handle. they made me check it at a cost of $45 (more than i paid for it, and in US funds), and of course needed a credit card, no cash or debit (luckily i was traveling with someone who had a credit card). just before i went through security after getting off my previous flight, which all by its self is interesting. i say that because the umbrella was placed "hilt first" covered with a jacket (to protect the cheap chrome job) in my bag with only the obvious umbrella showing. and i was the last person off the airplane. yet i had passed the security guy who was sitting down, we even gave each other smiles when passing. yet as i was about to put my bag on to be x rayed he came charging up with a huge frown pointing to my umbrella and gesturing to remove it, (yeah some english would have been helpful at least a huge chunk of people in the world at least have a basic understanding of it). now why the sudden change of demeanor? and just how did he know about it? personally i think a stewardess must have called since they would have been the only ones to see it that would have been somewhere behind me, and no one was in sight other than airport workers. and yes they told me that "it is US FAA law they have to obey" at the check luggage counter (which is a weird place for on, a luggage check in between getting off an airplane and security? WTF). yet at the US airports i went through had no problems when i carried it in plain view, just comments like "where did you buy it", and "that is cool" from security, TSA and others. (yeah not all TSA are jerks)

or on the same trip, i had bought a couple novelty, and cigarette case lighters for friends as souvenirs. oops can't be in checked baggage. the airport here actually asks about that type of thing before check in, to save hassles. so i took them out which is when i ran into the second problem torch lighters are prohibited. yet they were pretty empty and wouldn't even light, NOT ALLOWED. then he checked another couple i had to be sure they were not torch lighters. now even though they had like 9 INCH flames, they were acceptable, for me to have on the airplane. (oh and no problem with that umbrella that was out in the open and seen). seriously a torch lighter that wouldn't light is a danger and a regular lighter with a 9 inch flame is not? talk about arbitrary rules that make no sense. which one could i have used if i wanted to set the plane on fire? not like you couldn't use any lighter for that if you wanted.

and then there is the whole shoe thing. everyone must remove their shoes to be x rayed (and they apparently found a folding knife recently, now why would you do that when everybody knows they are particularly looking at shoes?), unless of course you are over or under certain ages. which of course nullifies the usefulness since anyone with half a brain will conceal their stuff in a child's or old person's shoes.

in the case of electronics. again anyone with a brain, would insure the device at least works for basic functions just in case anyone wanted to check it. not to mention most people would start with a real item and modify it, it's a hell of a lot easier than trying to make something from scratch and yet look real and work.

all this type of thing does is serve two purposes. to keep people panicked about what could happen, and let the government do as they will to everyone safe. and to keep TSA agents and other agencies employed and powerful. lets face it, if someone wants to do something they WILL find a way. and they do such a good job of protecting us people are able to climb into landing gear to fly. and they could be carrying ANYTHING since they don't go through any checks. they could plant a bomb and leave. they could even carry guns and a cutting instrument and cut their way into the aircraft, even sealing it up behind them on the ground, and arm other hijackers already on board. lets face it airport security is a joke in many ways.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I generally don't have a problem with my iphone or kindle being checked that they have charge in them because they are all trying to keep us safe.
It is a total pain in the behind to do, but there isn't alot we can do about it.

All i want to do is use a plane and fly somewhere, the same as millions of others, but there's always some group that wants to ruin it for us.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I always thought that if the terrorists had any sense they would target the airports while the security measures are causing such huge delays. A grim thought...

I'm a bit suspicious that "whistleblowers" might be using this very specific threat as misdirection for something else

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Carrying a charged Cell Phone or Laptop is the equivalent of having a Radio Frequency Identification Chip implant.

I predict the next step in the evolution of this new law will be the requirement that you MUST HAVE a Cell Phone or Laptop to board an aircraft or be subjected to an enhanced alternative screening.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join