It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Seeming Rise in Police Brutality Cases: Why? Can we Hypothesize Productively?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: MyHappyDogShiner

I think you make several excellent points.

The conditioning IS powerful for at least 80%? of the military populace?

And many have a very difficult time re-adjusting to civilian life.

I'd think ex-military in law enforcement would have even a MORE difficult time adjusting

because

in large part there are a LOT of VERY SIMILAR memes and cues in one's LEO work that too easily can trigger old reflexes and response patterns.

I think Marines have it toughest on such scores.

Then there's the whole MACHO thing . . . which, again, LEO work seems to exalt, reinforce, applaud, emphasize. I think that contributes to abuse of various types . . . including in their homes.

Thanks for your excellent post.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows
a reply to: BO XIAN

I think it's more than likely a case of more of them getting caught.

Conceivably. But I think the picture is more complex than that.

50 years ago . . . one might occasionally hear of such things. And it wasn't because folks were not in touch with what was going on. It was an even smaller town. Considering the whole situation, all the police were known to major chunks of the town.

That is . . . this chunk, social network, set of friends and relatives would know this groups of LEO's. Those over there would know that group. etc. And the whole of the force was known. None of them could really get away with much without the whole town knowing in relatively short order.

Now, the town is still relatively small but in the 10's of thousands. The LEO's are much more numerous. I suspect that our conservative area has a pretty decent force and that the corruption of some decades past is either largely gone or more hidden.

But I've had LEO's in my classes. And they have talked about things changing. They sound like it is due, in their views, to the FEDERAL mandates and militarizations coming down through the FEDERAL influences, monies, demands.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   

It depends on the background of service. There is still good conditioning in the military, at least in the Navy and Marine Corps. I know that an Army General and Marine Corps General will never view the world and the Constitution the same way.

I knew a MAC, that is Master of Arms(Navy Cop) chief, who would not let his subordinates enter his office unless they could recite the Preamble to the Constitution.

It bothers me that all cops have the Miranda Law memorized, yet most can not recite the Preamble.

Conditioning has a lot to do with the problem.
edit on 6-7-2014 by jrod because: 1

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

I think there's too much truth to your points.

However, the opposite is also true--on the part of too many citizens.

i.e. that LEO's are beyond the pale and suitable to dump big loads of poo on for any excuse whatsoever.

All the LEO's in my personal acquaintance . . . including former students . . . are very decent, hard working, honorable folks with a real heart to serve the public.

BTW, I don't know how many ATSer's know that

a DOMESTIC [spouse/partner vs spouse/partner] DISTURBANCE . . . is the most life-threatening situation an LEO can enter--statistically.

I think ARROGANCE IS DEADLY on the part of politicians as well as military as well as LEO's. And the source of that is . . . the king of hell, but let's just say . . . human.

. . . as can be seen on such threads on ATS.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

A imagine Police brutality is far more prevalent these days due to TPTB having to control the masses with greater and greater force because of the general increase of discontent of our populations.

Is it any wonder that we seem to have created a new form of totalitarian foot soldier willing to enforce the will of our oppressive governments who seemingly wish nothing more than to remove our basic freedoms on a daily basis, inch by bloody inch?

I certainly agree that

THAT is likely a significant chunk of why and what is going on.

Of course, the thugs at the top perpetuate thugishness like breathing and like bunnies breeding. It's their NATURE.

And folks lower down quickly sense what the new 'rules' and 'expectations' are.

Great points. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

I agree. Conditioning has a huge amount to do with the problem. 55%? 75%? I don't know but a huge amount.

That MAC sounds like an ideal Navy guy and an ideal patriot. Congrats on him. May God bless him and all those he loves.

Thanks for your important point.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Confirmation bias plays a big part. People/members who distrust or hate the police are often the same ones searching YT for videos to post on ATS. They are also often the same ones posting in anti-police threads. They're often so focused on how bad *all* the police are that they cannot conceive that bad cops are in the tiny minority and most of the ~750 000 US officers aren't crooked.

Instead of creating huge, complex conspiracies that involves nefarious forces hellbent on terrorizing the populace...we could ask *how* bad cops get through the system? Why are most cops decent and why are a few so unsuitable? What separates the two types?

We could look at triggers for violence in the job. Do good cops 'go bad' under pressure? Or were they psychologically unsuited for authority and slipped the nets?

Is Internal Affairs as effective as it could be? Do the bad cops expect to get away with whatever level of violence they mete out?

Before we demonize several hundred thousand working men and women for the sins of the few, let's see if any of those rational questions can be answered?

I'm sorry...I know there are some crappy cops, but is everyone going to ignore this post?

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Cause they keep getting told to fear everyone, that everyone is going to kill or hurt them and then they act accordingly.

Because there are people out there that if a officer shows one iota of anything that could be construed as weakness they will hurt or kill them or someone else.
I've known a few like that myself.
Little more than animals in human skin really.
And there is really no way to tell which is which.
So it's better to keep the front.

edit on 8-7-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

The thought occurs to me that the situation with police officers is very similar to the situation with CTers.
Both are groups of generally well meaning people that get demonized by the antics of the lesser of their co-patriots.
In that light, the situation's kinda ironic.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

1. I believe that a percentage do "go bad under the pressure." Stress has a way of unraveling ATTACHMENT DISORDER issues that are normally moderated fairly successfully in mostly socially acceptable ways otherwise.

2. I believe that a very critical issue is that there are not a lot of great candidates and some bad apples with horrendous ATTACHMENT DISORDER issues, inner seething rage issues; arrogance issues; !!!CONTROL!!! FREAK issues etc. get through the screening and training . . . partly, probably because a lot of that hides very well in the Macho meme and style.

3. Yes, there are lots of wonderful LEO's YEA FOR THAT. They need and deserve our vigorous support and affirmation whenever we have the chance.

4. Nevertheless, the scary ones are scary indeed . . . and very destructive to innocents and to society.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN

1. I believe that a percentage do "go bad under the pressure." Stress has a way of unraveling ATTACHMENT DISORDER issues that are normally moderated fairly successfully in mostly socially acceptable ways otherwise.

I'm sorry...were these cops diagnosed with an attachment disorder?

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

When it

--walks like a duck
--quacks like a duck
--waddles like a duck
--flies like a duck,
--lays duck eggs,
--smells like a duck,
--poops like a duck,
--eats duckweed like a duck . . .

the label is pretty confidently assigned even from a distance.

I've NEVER, in 30+ years of counseling and teaching seen such behavior from ANYONE WITHOUT a very serious degree of attachment disorder.

But the malady is epidemic. . . . in terms of the definition being

a serious degree of attachment disorder = that lack of sufficiently quality parenting from the first 6 years of life which results in significant persistent relationship problems the rest of their life . . .

using that definition probably 80%+ of the general population has serious degrees of attachment disorder.

In my classes . . . of 35 to 75 students . . . over the last 30 years . . . it was a very rare class when I had more than 1-3 students who FAILED to demonstrate serious degrees of attachment disorder.

Many classes had no such students.

Now what were you saying again?

Here's my ATS thread on the topic:

BO X ATS ATTACHMENT DISORDER THREAD LINK:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And some additional links for your potential edification:

REACTIVE ATTACHMENT DISORDER FOR EDUCATORS:

artweidman.wordpress.com...

WIKIPEDIA:
en.wikipedia.org...

DIRECTORY OF SITES:

www.radkid.org...

ATTACHMENT DISORDER IN ADULTS:

www.buzzle.com...

BEHAVIOR MANAGEMENT TRAINING FOR THE TREATMENT OF REACTIVE ATTACHMENT DISORDER:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

BEST AUTHOR ON TOPIC:

BONDING AND ATTACHMENT IN MALTREATED CHILDREN: HOW CAN YOU HELP: DR BRUCE PERRY

teacher.scholastic.com...

DR BRUCE PERRY’S CHILD TRAUMA ACADEMY:

childtrauma.org...

IMPACT OF ABUSE AND NEGLECT ON THE DEVELOPING BRAIN:

www.attachmentdisorder.net...

ATTACHMENT: THE FIRST CORE STRENGTH:

teacher.scholastic.com...

BONDING AND ATTACHMENT IN MALTREATED CHILDREN: BRUCE PERRY

childrenneedfamilies.blogspot.com...

It's hard for me to think of much of anyone in certain job categories who fail to demonstrate significant signs of attachment disorder. LEO's would be one of those categories.

Preachers would be another. Military would be another.

Counselors et al would be another.

edit on 8/7/2014 by BO XIAN because: added

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join