It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone please identify what this stone type is? It's different...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Like some of the posters above have pointed out, it may be an agate. Certainly looks like some of the agates I've seen in the northern US. However without being able to see it up close I can't really ID it truthfully. It be a hunk of granite or other minerals mashed together.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Treespeaker

To me, it looks like one of the following:
1. Inner part of a rock that had a black crust. The greenish mineral is most likely quartz, and my guess would be that at some point, this rock was in a fast moving current somewhere. The black parts were in the process of eroding out, leaving the harder minerals behind.

2. Conglomerate of some sort - This looks igneous to me, especially with the quartz veins. My second guess would be a bit of water-polished granite.

3. Agate - in the second set of photos (other post), this does have the look of some agates. The Lake Superior ones don't match too much (they have a distinct look; I found them before), but the snakeskin agate looks to be closer.

If you want, you can send it over this way for analysis (I've got several Mineral halls/Museums in the area, and I'm sure at least one of them could identify it).

Also, I know I have seen several similar rocks in one of the deeper-cut creek beds out here. If you want, I can try to get to the area and see if I can find anything similar; I've been overdue searching that area, as I used to be able to find crinoid stems there.

-fossilera

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
a reply to: DenyFlatulence

This is a Lake Superior agate.....it's banded...

Rainbows
Jane

Lake Superior Agates are not all banded and red. The most desirable ones are. The majority of them are not banded like the above picture. They come in all sorts of colors. I have seen Lakers in person that look very similar to the OP's specimen.
I think it's very likely to be some sort of Agate. Likely a Snakeskin Agate. Possibly a Laker.
edit on 29-6-2014 by DenyFlatulence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: DenyFlatulence
Ahhh, OK, thank you for that.

Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join