It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boehner To File Suit Against Obama Over Alleged Abuse of Executive Power

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The law suit will be filed by Boehner. The plaintiff will be the House of Representatives. The complaint is that Obama has exceeded his constitutional authority. There is no question that he's broken the law - the Bergdahl switch for five GITMO terrorists was an in-your-face breaking of the law, with a 'it was an oversight' excuse tossed at people. Pelosi has already come out and said it's a childish attempt on the part of the Republicans to try to make themselves look busy. Her exact words were that it's "subterfuge" to give an 'aura of activity'.

Boehner To File Suit Against Obama Over Alleged Abuse of Executive Power

House Speaker John Boehner announced Wednesday he plans to file suit against President Obama over his alleged abuse of executive power.

"This is not about impeachment -- it's about him faithfully executing the laws of this country," Boehner said. The speaker alleged that the president not only has ignored the law but "brags about it," decrying what he described as "arrogance and incompetence."

Boehner had been weighing such a lawsuit in recent days, over concerns that Obama exceeded his constitutional authority with executive actions. Republicans have voiced frustration with Obama's second-term "pen and phone" strategy of pursuing policy changes without Congress -- particularly environmental rules via the Environmental Protection Agency. Republicans also complained about numerous unilateral changes to the implementation of ObamaCare.

So does this have legs, will it get anywhere? Or is Pelosi right ... it's just the Republicans trying to look busy? Or is Boehner correct, but the lawsuit won't go anywhere because corruption never gets punished in DC?

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
More reported from Business Insider -

Business Insider - John Boehner Is Getting Ready To Mount A Potentially Gigantic Lawsuit Against Obama

Obama, however, has given House Republicans plenty of potential material. He has made 2014 a self-proclaimed "year of action," issuing executive orders on everything from the minimum wage to federal pay discrimination. Perhaps the most controversial administrative-only move this year came in the form of newly announced regulations from the Environmental Protection Agency on carbon emissions.

Republicans have also roundly criticized Obama for taking administrative action to delay parts of the Affordable Care Act, most notably the so-called employer mandate.

In March, the House passed a bill to speed up potential lawsuits against the president. But the Senate has failed to take up that bill, along with others passed by the House that target Obama's executive actions. Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said the Senate's failure forced the House to examine other options.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
You don't think that Obama has some pretty smart people advising him on what he can/can't do? I'm pretty sure there were discussions about the blowback from the prisoner exchange beforehand.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this will go nowhere.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
You don't think that Obama has some pretty smart people advising him on what he can/can't do?

I'm VERY sure he has been advised very well and knows exactly how far to push the envelop and that he hasn't done anything that the Republicans could seriously latch on to. He's done stuff he shouldn't have ... but nothing that could bring him down by the Republicans ... IMHO.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I agree. No one in the White House, be it Republican or Democrat, ever really get in significant trouble for the crap they do. It would take a lot more than what Obama's done to bring the law down upon a POTUS. They get away with a lot.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Can you say, "Too little, too late"? How about some actual criminal charges?

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Pretty much. Even Nixon was let off the hook by LBJ when he took office (though I'm sure they planned it that way).

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Whether anything comes of it or not it needs to happen. It needs to happen to not allow this sort of behavior to continue now or in the future. To do nothing means it will be the new norm. It's a worthwhile endeavor.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dianec
Whether anything comes of it or not it needs to happen.

I agree. I'm sure nothing will come of it but each and every POTUS who breaks the law and then smugly calls it 'an oversight' needs to be spanked. Even if it never sees a court room, the attempt has to be made to keep them in line.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
You don't think that Obama has some pretty smart people advising him on what he can/can't do? I'm pretty sure there were discussions about the blowback from the prisoner exchange beforehand.

So did Nixon

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
Can you say, "Too little, too late"? How about some actual criminal charges?

Exactly what I was going to say.As he was already promised he wouldn't be impeached whats the worst they can do? Give obama a good scolding. ..3 years from now?Our once proud system is now a bad joke run be people who probably never believed in it to start with.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

There is no question that he's broken the law

What the hell is that LAW permitting people to be in cage without trail for so many years..?

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: amkia
He broke the law of not notifying congress on the swap. He admitted it. Then he said it was an 'oversight' ... which is hogwash. He's just doing whatever the heck he wants .. law be damned.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Someone needs to stop his "mad pen".

If he can't pass something through congress he just signs an executive order. WTH?

At least someone has finally or is attempting to bring a criminal to justice.

P.S. - What's the deal with Obama's birth certificate?

J/K

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I find this quote from Boehner quite revealing:

"This is about defending the institution in which we serve. If you look back over the past 235 years of our history there's been movement between the inherent powers of the executive branch vs the inherent powers of the legislative branch and what we've seen clearly over the past 5 years is an effort to erode the power of the legislative branch," the Speaker said in response to a question from CNN.

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

It seems to me that the inherent powers that have been ceded to the legislative branch over the past 235 years are powers that Boehner somehow believes are constitutional powers legally removed from the executive branch and given to the legislative branch. Except there is one little problem...there are no constitutional amendments doing so. The way I see it is that Obama is within his constitutional right to reclaim any constitutional powers that previous administrations have ceded to congress. If congress does not like it, then amend the constitution.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I'm betting with you. I'll go one step further and say this will go exactly as far as the progress Obama can be expected to make during his remaining tenure. The guy is done as President.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dianec
Whether anything comes of it or not it needs to happen. It needs to happen to not allow this sort of behavior to continue now or in the future. To do nothing means it will be the new norm. It's a worthwhile endeavor.

I feel the same as you on this issue. It may not come to much, but it makes a statement loud and clear, that unlawful actions will not go unnoticed.

I'm just kinda shocked that Boehner found part of his missing spine. It also tells me, that Obama's image is so tarnished now, that people are beginning to listen to the uproar from their constituents, and know they damn well better do something to appease them. Or, they will be sitting in an empty campaign office in November, wondering how they lost.

Des

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: LeatherNLace

There are things (like editing laws) that Obama has done that are STRICTLY delegated to Congress in the Constitution. So you are saying that because Congress has ceded this to Obama without a fight, that he should just keep the powers? And in order to get them back we need to amend the Constitution (the very same document that already clears this matter up to begin with) to give the powers back to them? Do you not understand how silly that sounds?

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: LeatherNLace

OMG you love Obama.......ewwww!!!!!!

The man is an incompetent fool who was elected as president only because he ran against a super big incompetent fool.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join