It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thoughts on US Armed Forces guarding schools?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies. Some good thoughts here.

I forget that the crime rate has been dropping. With all the social media, everything is magnified.

I see statements about guns creeping in. There are several great threads that discuss the whole gun debate. Let's stay on topic.

I don't know what the answer is. Some schools have police, I imagine those with a history of violence and gangs. It's sad that it's come to this.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
NO!

Wouldn't it be better to get to the cause of the problem rather than treating the symptoms!?

Treat the cause and schools wont need guards, they wont need prison style gates and fences, they wont need cameras IN THE TOILETS FFS!

Enough of this garbage, sort out the cause!

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
No. And the police have no business at the schools either unless they're called in a real emergency.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

Military is needed elsewhere, given recent events.

I refuse to explain this madness to a toddler. I would/will emigrate before accepting this madness as normal or acceptable.

Molon Labe --get the wife and kids involved in your hobbies!

...damn deviants.
edit on 12-6-2014 by InverseLookingGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
No child should have to see a gun in school but every child should know that most adults have guns on them at school.
edit on 12-6-2014 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
"After the latest school shooting, I was thinking on the statement President Obama made about the US being the only civilized country where there are school shootings."

Wow, did he really say that? He is lying.

Until Sandy Hook, the three worst K–12 school shootings ever had taken place in either Britain or Germany.

Mass shootings are no more common than they have been in past decades, despite the impression given by the media.

In fact, the high point for mass killings in the U.S. was 1929, according to criminologist Grant Duwe of the Minnesota Department of Corrections.

Incidents of mass murder in the U.S. declined from 42 in the 1990s to 26 in the first decade of this century.

The chances of being killed in a mass shooting are about what they are for being struck by lightning.

Until the Newtown horror, the three worst K–12 school shootings ever had taken place in either Britain or Germany.

www.nationalreview.com...

Look at recent history. Where have the worst K–12 school shootings occurred? Nearly all of them in Europe.
The very worst one occurred in a high school in Erfurt, Germany, in 2002, where 18 were killed.

The second-worst took place in Dunblane, Scotland, in 1996, where 16 kindergartners and their teacher were killed.

The third-worst, with 15 dead, happened in Winnenden, Germany.

The fourth-worst was in the U.S. — Columbine High School in 1999, leaving 13 dead.

The fifth-worst, with eleven murdered, occurred in Emsdetten, Germany.

www.nationalreview.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Better idea... teach the kids what to do in an emergency situation and/or how to adjust to an unforseen event. They are far more likely to survive (and thrive) if they have been taught what to do AND practice thinking on their feet.

edit on 12-6-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Mornin',

Oh, HE77 no!

-Peace-

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD
I believe this is the correct forum to post this in. Mods, please move this thread if this is not the case. Thank you.

Heads Up: I ask that this thread doesn't veer off topic into another guns debate. That is not what I'm posting about.

After the latest school shooting, I was thinking on the statement President Obama made about the US being the only civilized country where there are school shootings. I'm as appalled as he is over this.

I started thinking of a possible deterrent to these school shootings. As a 20 year Navy veteran, I think it would be doable to have our active duty, guard, and reserves guarding all public schools in the country. Since things are winding down in other hotspots. This leaves many who need something constructive to do. I think just the sight of Marines at a school will keep a lot of these dirtbags away.

Yeah, this would be a bit drastic, and there will be those who feel this country is already too militant. But I think this would be a good idea.

What do you all think about this? I'm prepared for a good debate on this. Please keep it civil.

As a 22 yr vet i say NO.

Because:
- It's not the military's job. That is for Law Enforcement.

- Posse Comitatus (what's left of it)

That is all.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD

I started thinking of a possible deterrent to these school shootings. As a 20 year Navy veteran, I think it would be doable to have our active duty, guard, and reserves guarding all public schools in the country. Since things are winding down in other hotspots. This leaves many who need something constructive to do. I think just the sight of Marines at a school will keep a lot of these dirtbags away.

My offspring wouldn't mind them being there nor would I. The world is changing so the norm must change as well. Good Idea professionals who know how to handle weapons properly who also may need work soon, makes sense... Many youth in some areas already carry weapons and those who don't have been desensitized from all the violence programmed into their minds daily. If they are which they are an important resource to the species why not protect them as other "important" resources are?

edit on 6/13/14 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

All I can say is WTF!

How can this be considered ok in a civilized western society?

Hell it not even your guns rights. Switzerland and Czechoslovakia have even less gun control than the USA and they are not war zones. So what the hell is wrong with the USA?

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

There are dangers here that are not addressable properly so Guards in the vicinity 1 would assume many parents would appreciate especially those who may have lost their children or had them harmed from ill violence. I remember in high school students had more guns then ANY of the school police. And when there were disruptions the school police sensed this and stepped aside until things cleared or until city police came. By that time anything could happen...

They the guards don't have to have them out they can conceal them. A
edit on 6/13/14 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The Angelic must have larger claws then the demonic- Something that has always stuck with me.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join