It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas GOP endorses ‘treatment’ for homosexuality

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

The new anti-gay language never came up for debate before roughly 7,000 delegates ratified a Texas GOP platform that tea party groups succeeded in pushing further to the right, including winning a harder line on immigration.

One influential tea party group called Texas Eagle Forum had urged the party to support psychological treatments that seek to turn gay people straight. It comes after Republican New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie last fall signed a law banning such therapies on minors, and California has a similar law.

Under the new plank, the Texas GOP recognizes “the legitimacy and efficacy of counseling, which offers reparative therapy and treatment for those patients seeking healing and wholeness from their homosexual lifestyle.”

Texas GOP endorses ‘treatment’ for homosexuality

Okay---- What the hell just happened there?

The American Psychological Association for years now has stated this kind of treatment, "reparative therapy" doesn't work!
But obviously the Texas GOP knows a lot more than those doctors do...

Anyway I'm guessing this is a knee jerk reaction to all the gay and same sex marriage legislation we've seen on the news.
My wife and I see it at church where surprisingly young couple proclaim that the institution of holy matrimony is solely reserved for a man and women! and these very same people are unhappy with same sex marriages becoming law.

As for me I don't care one way or another--- But I will say this kind of backwards thinking leads to fear and intolerance which in turn leads to mob mentally.

seems to me Texas has done more to hurt the party than any thing else I can think of, with this single policy
edit on 10-6-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Of course they would endorse it part of the Texas GOP platform is this.

So when it comes to brainwashing people they are gung ho for it as long as it gets rid of gays.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The supreme court will put a stop to that.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This is just dumb.

Also, kind of embarrassing.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Texas Republicanism may be an untreated form of mental illness. Please don't dump on these delusional people, but treat them with the sympathy and compassion they deserve.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Enough already, when will lawmakers start to address some real issues and stop worrying about stupid things like this. being gay is not a choice and not something that can be"fixed" it's not even something that that needs fixing. I would probably even bet that if you dig deep enough you will find that some of these lawmakers are in the closet gay and wouldn't it be great if someone outed them. I am not gay and honestly do not care if someone is. Maybe we should come up with a reparative therapy for politicians that forgot that they are supposed to be in office to help the people.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

We need to do more to increase the effectiveness of homosexual treatment programs. We need to support more extensive research programs that can find the brain impairments that lead to and cause homosexuality and develop medication or therapeutic processes which have an effect on these impaired regions of male and female brains.

In the meantime, we all need to treat any person with an impairment with the same respect that you would treat people with normal brains. Just like a person with down syndrome should not be bullied, but should be cared for, so should gay people.

What we don't need to do is encourage this illness. That can only propagate it and is counter-productive to a mentally stable and healthy society.
edit on 10-6-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb

We need to do more to increase the effectiveness of homosexual treatment programs. We need to support more extensive research programs that can find the brain impairments that lead to and cause homosexuality and develop medication or therapeutic processes which have an effect on these impaired regions of male and female brains.

I hope you have your flak vest on.

Cause, you better prepare for some incoming.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

So you think homosexuality is some kind of mental illness? What other forms of mind control do you support?

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Maybe they could offer similar treatment for anyone in general who lives in Austin? Also Dallas.. they need some brain cleaning there too.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

So you think homosexuality is some kind of mental illness? What other forms of mind control do you support?

Mind control? I support the treatment of all mental illnesses. Whether it be Alzheimer's, autism, or homosexuality.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Look I gotta take off and spend time with the wife.

but before I go I just want to say.

This endorsement from the Texas GOP.... Makes me ashamed to be a Republican.

Now someone do me a favor and forward that statement to the national GOP before anyone else gets infected with this kind of stupid!

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
And once upon a time, left-handedness was a sign of the devil, and scripture and punishments were levied on the lefties.

Both parties are a crock, but Republicans take the cake socially. I'd call them stubborn as a mule, but that would be an insult to the mule anymore.
edit on 6/10/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb
Homosexuality is not an illness and it's not a brain impairment.

Definition of Impairment

m·pair·ment [im-pair-muhnt] noun - the state of being diminished, weakened, or damaged, especially mentally or physically: cognitive impairment in older adults. Verb - to reduce or weaken in strength, quality, etc: his hearing was impaired by an accident

Hydrocephalus is an impairment.
Homosexuality is not.

And what do you mean 'encourage the illness'?? Babies are born however they are born. They aren't encouraged to be born one way or another.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

In the meantime, we all need to treat any person with an impairment with the same respect that you would treat people with normal brains. Just like a person with down syndrome should not be bullied, but should be cared for, so should gay people.

What we don't need to do is encourage this illness. That can only propagate it and is counter-productive to a mentally stable and healthy society.

Just no.......seriously? this is grossly ignorant #1

#2 what difference does it make if its in their DNA(which i believe it is) or if its a choice? That doesnt change anything does it? They still have a right to be who they want....

I loath the "agenda" points on LBGT just as much as the next person who hates anyone forcing their belief on another...

But that sword cuts both ways.........no one has the right to change someone who wants to be who they are........

Unless that person is doing something criminal........

You want to put these people into therapy for their lifestyle, how long do you think it would be before someone else came into power and decided to put YOU into "therapy" and "re-education" for YOUR belief system?

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Mind control? I support the treatment of all mental illnesses. Whether it be Alzheimer's, autism, or homosexuality.

Until they decide conservatism is a mental illness and decide to "treat " you for that.......

how can you NOT see the slippery slope you are advocating........its ridiculous....

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I support the treatment of all mental illnesses. Whether it be Alzheimer's, autism, or homosexuality.

Homosexuality isn't a mental illness.
Definition of mental illness - A mental illness is a medical condition that disrupts a person's thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others and daily functioning.

Seems to me that those who go around calling homosexuals 'mentally ill' ... they are the ones with the inability to relate to others.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

So what you are saying is, you dont know what mental illness is.

Thanks for making that clear from the get go, so people dont have to waste time with you.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
But that sword cuts both ways.........no one has the right to change someone who wants to be who they are........

I didn't say anything about requiring treatment. I just said that it should be researched and developed for those that want the opportunity to be cured. And I said that we don't need to encourage the illness and propagate it as "normal" or "okay".

You want to put these people into therapy for their lifestyle, how long do you think it would be before someone else came into power and decided to put YOU into "therapy" and "re-education" for YOUR belief system?

I am against mandatory therapy and also indoctrination.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

I support the treatment of all mental illnesses. Whether it be Alzheimer's, autism, or homosexuality.

Homosexuality isn't a mental illness.
Definition of mental illness - A mental illness is a medical condition that disrupts a person's thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others and daily functioning.

I would say that homosexuals think differently. I would say that they feel different. I would say that they find it hard to relate to a lot of people.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join