It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cracked a metatarsal and strained ligaments in my ankle...any advice?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
So, two nights ago, I went to get up from the sofa and a louder than normal "SNAP" popped from my foot, followed by swelling and bruising. Been doing the ice and ibuprofen thing, but this is the same foot/ankle I damn near ripped the ligaments in a few years ago. It's the third meta that cracked so nothing I can do but take it easy...I'm more in pain from the ligaments in the ankle. Anyone else go through something similar? I have an aircast from the last time, but dont want anything to atrophy.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Stay off of it for 6 months straight while doing everything you said...
Look up some physical therapy tech's too, that helped my ankle out a lot.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Maybe a magnesium pill will help to relieve the tension on the tendons a bit. You could take a heaping teaspoon of mustard too, the turmeric in it helps with inflammation. Then just kind of stay off it for a couple of days. If it doesn't get better, it might be good to see a doctor.

Either crying or swearing helps some time too, but don't be cutting yourself down to bad, it wasn't because of something stupid or risky you did anyway.
edit on 7-6-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

The ankle I did in about 8 years ago. The doctor said it would have been better had I just broke it. I wrap it from time to time still when I get to hiking, but the little fracture just sent it all into warp drive pain. I guess it's common. Usually takes about 4-6 weeks to mend enough to get back to light excercise. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

This is not the place for medical advice. But I will tell you injuries you've sustained in the past to the locations you've mentioned...will be susceptible to re-injury over and over again thruout your lifetime. And as you can see...it wont take much.(As in just getting off the couch).

Get used to using the air cast whenever these re-injuries occur. And see a Dr. Good Luck

MS
EMT/ADLS
ADVANCED DISASTER LIFE SUPPORT

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Maybe a magnesium pill will help to relieve the tension on the tendons a bit. You could take a heaping teaspoon of mustard too, the turmeric in it helps with inflammation. Then just kind of stay off it for a couple of days. If it doesn't get better, it might be good to see a doctor.

Either crying or swearing helps some time too, but don't be cutting yourself down to bad, it wasn't because of something stupid or risky you did anyway.

I have about half a pound of good turmeric. I like to make my own masala and curries. I didnt know it helped for bones. I'm keeping off of it as much as possible. I guess since it's been so nice, I went on quite a few hikes. Maybe with the boots off it allows things to relax too much. All I did was stand up! I have REALLY high arches though. I'll look into the magnesium thing. I have to be a den leader for cub scouts in three weeks...thanks

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Also try using what is called a game day brace,or that is what my doc called it, one that has support on the sides and you can lace up nice and tight. Worked wonders when i was in the service.
And ya the 6 months comment was more of a joke resolution, while it will help tremendously, no way the average person with a normal life could not use their ankle for 6 months.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Same thing happened to me. The aggravation it caused has been with me for forty years.

FWIW, you have my sympathy.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Recovering from busted ribs and a screwed up knee right now....(fell down a Hatch)
I think the cold treatment does help some with the swelling....bag of frozen peas...
But The best advice I can give is get you some heavier pain meds.....
edit on 7-6-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

On top of the turmeric in the mustard reducing inflammation, it somehow relieves muscle spasms. It works pretty good, my wife discovered that somewhere one night a couple years ago on the net. After it worked, I researched it better and there is a lot about it on the net.

An Epsoms salt soak can deliver the magnesium.

edit on 7-6-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I've been around long enough to pick through the crazy. But appreciate the concern. And yeah, I can wrap an ankle like a pro. On a good day I can turn my foot and hear it pop. The bad days are when it just locks up.
Much respect stranger...just wondering...did you get your name from the Fallout perk? I always took that one.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Recovering from busted ribs and a screwed up knee right now....(fell down a Hatch)
I think the cold treatment does help some with the swelling....bag of frozen peas...
But The best advice I can give is get you some heavier pain meds.....

Not the spare ribs I hope...I fell down a flight of stairs after my son left a toy banana on them. Head over heels. Internal bleeding and about eight months of recovery. I still feel it before it rains.

Ever since then, opiates make me itch. Not allergic, just itch.
edit on 8-6-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Get thee to a podiatrist. Don't want to take any chances with your foot or ankle.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Get thee to a podiatrist. Don't want to take any chances with your foot or ankle.

It's only a slight fracture, enough for some bruising, right in the middle of the foot. I consulted a friend who is a doctor, she said unless I cant put weight on it in a week, then I'll need help, but if I dont put weight on it, it should be okay. No jumping jacks, though.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

The name was the name of an album I recorded of music. It was supposed to be, but never released. The record label went belly-up in London England about 1 1/2 yrs ago.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Make sure you've got no-nonsense, well supported flat or slightly wedged shoes. Your days of 'pretty' are probably over, especially if you've been used to wearing fashion shoes rather than ones made by sane people.

And hiking? May not be a good idea. I fractured my ankle several years ago and it's never been the same since. No way would I ever go hiking, any uneven ground is another fracture waiting to happen, and I don't want that to occur on top of some mountain somewhere.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
What No Flags?

Knowing your pain in other ways myself. Born with Club Foot on both! Yet as a child, my Spirit shared the wheelchair with friends going down some hills and dealing with the pain now. About 2 years ago, life seemed to stop or gonna have to change everything!

Both feet blew up 3X their size, really did not notice but an itch that day. Thought a bug got into my boots so unlaced them and would not come off! Left foot being the worst, Hell if I happen to step wrong I not only notice the Pop, I limp for a day or 2.

So after spending what I had, going to see Special Dr's, nothing could be done except water pills! Haven't worked for a year, Thank God for Ebay! Sold most of my things I hold dear yet knowing I needed to do something soon. Planned on wheeling myself although I live in middle of nowhere land. Work would become a problem to find. Just about came to the point of OMG when another Dr. came to town.

That did not go as planned either, worst feet He has seen and wondered How I even made it this far! Could cut, replace ligaments yet being almost 50 and not knowing what was done in the 60's to my feet would not be a good idea. So pretty much went home wondering what bright Idea I might come up with.

My other Dr who explaines it like it is, was going to work on a Heriha past over due and noticed a missed cut on a nerve from my last one 20 yrs ago. Said would do the best he could to fix it although I should know that pain I'll have till I die. Two weeks later, my feet stopped swelling! Even He thought it was odd that this nerve could have caused the swelling.

So far so good, 2 yrs and a slight swelling now and then. I know the sound of when your Legiments go under, so limp I go for 2 days!

Best I can tell you is find a Dr. who studies came from outside the US. Over 50 and has spent his life Healing others. So many younger Dr's do the Chart List. Okay A did not work now B. I hate to say it, It seems the US is more into raking then actually Healing. They go by a plan book hidden under the chart somewhere. After seeing 5 Dr's and asking my reg Dr. while I was there Knew on the spot my ligs were toast! Was not even a foot DR!

Also remember to tie your shoe even with the laces! If I do not do this, my left foot will follow the extra pull to the left or right. Use 2 socks, seems to work better then a boot ankle brace; too tight! Also watch what foot does the main support, switch if you can. I've spent so much wasted money on Great boots, found plain old Walmart boots do better. Who knew?

Blessings to You!

Peace

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

I had a pretty serious ankle injury 4 years ago. Went over on it one night; the most painful 'sprain' I've ever had. The next day I was moving house and just had to get on with it. 30 mins in to the move I went over on it again, and I've never felt pain like it.

For 3 months I couldn't stand up for more than 2 minutes without it swelling and becoming excruciating. It throbbed, it ached, and I lost feeling across the top of my entire foot. I had what doctors affectionately call 'drop foot'; that's where your foot just sags, and you can't tilt your foot up (lifting the toe-end up).

4 years later, and it's still affecting me. The nerve damage has never fully healed and I still have a large patch across my foot that has no sensation. Occasionally I get a pins and needles in the leg and suddenly can't lift my foot up again. The shape of my ankle has changed, and when it's cold, it throbs and aches just like it did years ago.

All of this happened without ever going to a doctor. I only wore sports ankle supports, and just tried to not do anything to strenuous. I highly advice investing in a full 'boot' foot and ankle support. Otherwise you might have much more serious, longer lasting, injuries from this.

In the mean time though, sit with it raised as much as possible, and do as little as possible with it. Once the pain starts to subside, begin trying to do simple stretches with it.

It was over a year before I regained the strength/ability to lift my foot again.

Peace

edit on 8-6-2014 by Thundersmurf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Don't allow your arch to fall and heal all messed up. I broke my foot in Airborne School many years ago and because they put me in a wooden shoe ... I've been dealing with knee pain since then.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockn82
Don't allow your arch to fall and heal all messed up. I broke my foot in Airborne School many years ago and because they put me in a wooden shoe ... I've been dealing with knee pain since then.

My knee is bad on that side as well. Hey, I never did sue the mall I worked in where the original damage happened. I was walking in the handicapped crosswalk between parking lanes, snow ice conditions, but then my foot did its best to do a 270. Lot security drove by me twice...they thought I was "playing in the snow".

The little medical they gave me, I wouldnt be surprised if my arch didnt fall.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join