It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Gun Bill? Your Neighbor Controls Your Rights

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

there is difficulty in that.

The ATF has not had a director for a number of years now,
it's ability to actually enforce presently existing laws has been chipped away at.

the CDC has only gotten clearence to do studies on gun violence in the last year or so, (after getting most funding for that research cut off after a 1996 study made conclusions that the NRA didn't like)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: NonsensicalUserName
The ATF has not had a director for a number of years now,

You do not need a director to enforce the countless Federal and State laws already on the books.

...the CDC has only gotten clearence to do studies on gun violence in the last year or so, (after getting most funding for that research cut off after a 1996 study made conclusions that the NRA didn't like)

And what will they find? That it is down as most of us have been saying?

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

They might find that gun violence is down, but they might also find other reasons for it being down. Reasons that go against the pro-gun arguement.

My point is that the ability for presently existing laws to be enforced, and for data to be gathered on the effects of that enforcement have been crippled/undermined.

also; give me an example of state/local laws, and how you expect them to be effective at all when we can just drive to the next county or state over? its federal law that matters! the ATF is in charge of enforcing federal regulations.
>of couse this leaves me open to attacks on the notion of gun control entirely as you supposedly can just go to mexico and buy guns, even though most guns in mexico come from the US www.factcheck.org... thus if the US adopts tighter gun laws, mexico won't be a source.

You do not dispute the fact that for many years the ATF has gone without a director, and has had its ability to actually do its job hampered.

www.washingtonpost.com...

fortunately there is a new director for the ATF, after 8 years of being without one.
www.thedailybeast.com...
edit on 16-6-2014 by NonsensicalUserName because: changed source to one that is probably no more trustworthy in the eyes of my opponent

edit on 16-6-2014 by NonsensicalUserName because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Oh, yes, where have you been for the past 60 years? The government has been cleverly circumventing he Constitution. In other words, there is this whole new thing of "mental health," which, gives the government unprecedented powers. Now, the issue of mental health is easily resolved within context of the Constitution, but the typical american sheep likes it this way because of the "fear" the government has created, and Big Pharma feeds heavily off of it. Take a look at the number of psychiatrically ill here --and half of them actually think they are really sick!!! FOOLS!!! ALL OF YOU!! You don't deserve your Constitution; it's about time that you simply burnt it and made a new one. (Oh, and burn the Declaration, too.)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: NonsensicalUserName
They might find that gun violence is down, but they might also find other reasons for it being down. Reasons that go against the pro-gun arguement.

The only facet of the 'pro-gun' argument that truly matters is that it is the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

My point is that the ability for presently existing laws to be enforced, and for data to be gathered on the effects of that enforcement have been crippled/undermined.

The amount of local, state and federal officers is at their highest in the history of the country. If they cannot enforce the laws on the books what makes you think more would be effective?

also; give me an example of state/local laws, and how you expect them to be effective at all when we can just drive to the next county or state over? its federal law that matters! the ATF is in charge of enforcing federal regulations.

If I drive to Pennsylvania, purchase a 20 round magazine, drive back to New Jersey and are subsequently caught with that magazine I will go to state prison. This is enforced by the state of New Jersey and not the Federal government.

You do not dispute the fact that for many years the ATF has gone without a director, and has had its ability to actually do its job...

The Bureau had an acting director with full capabilities since 2004 and the same director since 2011, the only difference is confirmation by the Senate.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

so how would you enforce the laws already on the books?

why aren't these laws being enforced as they should be?

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join