It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grieving Family Turned Over Their Deceased Daughter’s Mirror & They Got an Amazing Surprise

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   

The father of a 12-year-old girl who died following a battle with cancer was "blown away" when he found a secret message hidden on the back of her mirror.

Athena Orchard, of New Parks, Leicester, died at home last Wednesday after losing her fight with the disease – which she only learnt about in December.

Her devastated parents said they have struggled to cope with her death, but admitted being overwhelmed with the amount of support they have received from well-wishers and friends.

But there was one message her father Dean was not expecting to find.

Her father was moving some of her stuff around a few days after she had died and came across a very special surprise
The surprise was a note written on the back of her stand-up mirror....a very inspirational 3,000-word secret message

And here are just some of Athena's heart felt words:

“Happiness depends upon ourselves.

“Maybe it’s not about the happy ending, maybe it’s about the story.

“The purpose of life is a life of purpose.

“The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra. Happiness is a direction not a destination.

“Thank you for existing. Be happy, be free, believe, forever young.

“You know my name, not my story.

“You have heard what I’ve done, but not what I’ve been through.

“Love is like glass, looks so lovely, but it’s easy to shatter.

“Love is rare, life is strange, nothing lasts and people change.

“Every day is special, so make the most of it. You could get a life-ending illness tomorrow so make the most of every day.

“Life is only bad if you make it bad.

“If someone loves you then they wouldn’t let you slip away no matter how hard the situation is.

“Remember that life is full of ups and downs, without the downs the ups don’t mean anything.

“I’m waiting to fall in love with someone I can open my heart to.

“Love is not about who you can see spending your future with it’s about who you can’t see spending your life without.

“Life is a game for everyone but love is the only prize.”

Father of 12-year-old Leicester cancer victim finds a heartbreaking message she left behind

What an inspiration this young girl was, such a shame to go so early in life
Only the Good die young.....

My best friend died of Leukemia when we were 19 yo and she had an outlook similar to this young lady
She was the nicest, sweetest, most truest person I have ever met...
[R.I.P. Kris]
Never met anyone like her to this day

My thoughts and prayers go out to Athena's family
May she rest in peace

edit on 5-6-2014 by snarky412 because: spweeling

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
What a wonderful inspiration this young lady was and will continue to be. RIP sweet girl. My heart goes out to the family.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I've just been taught a few life lessons from a
dying 12 year old.

Great find Snarky S&F And my thanks

Cody

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

The quote that stood out to me the most was “Every day is special, so make the most of it. You could get a life-ending illness tomorrow so make the most of every day."

She is truly an inspiration, make the most of each day, cherish the ones you love and strive to find something positive in a horribly negative situation.

My heart goes out to her family and friends, what a gift to leave behind for your loved ones.

edit on 5-6-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: spelling per usual

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy

The quote that stood out to me the most was “Every day is special, so make the most of it. You could get a life-ending illness tomorrow so make the most of every day."

She is truly an inspiration, make the most of each day, cherish the ones you love and strive to find something positive in a horribly negative situation.

My heart goes out to her family and friends, what a gift to leave behind for your loved ones.

That is a good quote for sure

But I also really like----

"Remember that life is full of ups and downs, without the downs the ups don’t mean anything. "
[so very true....]

And of course, this gem---

“Love is not about who you can see spending your future with it’s about who you can’t see spending your life without"

My husband and I have been together, literally together 24/7, for 29 years...[work/personal]
And although we have our 'ups & downs' it scares me to think of NOT being with him
I'd be lost without him, even when he is bitching at me. LOL
I know one day that will end, but until then, I'll appreciate our time together

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
My daughter is almost 12 too. Unthinkable pain must be for the father, nothing worse than this.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
My daughter is almost 12 too. Unthinkable pain must be for the father, nothing worse than this.

My friend actually was about 8 when she was first diagnosed with Luekemia
She fought it relentlessly through the years ...

Finally, one day when I went to visit her at work --she had graduated from HS that summer--she was talking to me about how tired she was & how she didn't know if it would make a difference, the treatment

Me being 19 & naive, and not understanding her words, didn't realize what she was saying until it was too late
She was tired of the disease and the hell she was going through
Tired and wore out from it

A few months later, she passed away

Now that I'm older and been around, seen things, now I get what she meant
She let go, gave up
In my heart, I believe she wanted peace so she went away, stopped fighting it
No more pain
No more doctors
No more hospitals

I'm glad she's in peace now, but I kick myself in the azz for not getting her message sooner
She was a lot wiser than I, that's for sure

edit on 5-6-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

The purpose of life is a life of purpose.

What a great quote.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
S&F. It's stories like this that makes me realize that today is a beautiful day. Thoughts go out to her and her family. Please give your loved ones a kiss and extra long hug.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Someone should market a mirror with those words on the back, as a tribute to her! I would buy one just because of the inspiration and message it sends!

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

Great idea except I would print them on the mirrored side. That way you can read them while looking at yourself. It would bring more meaning in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

Yeah either way, maybe in light colored ink on the front. I have seen mirrors with words on the front like that before....Either way I feel would be a great idea to have their daughter remembered forever! What an inspirational child they had, to make the most out of life at that age is just amazing!!

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
A link in the article leads to further about her plus a picture.

Too bad we can't read what she wrote verbatim. Snippets are similar to photographs. Like reading one page from a novel.

link

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Sometimes we go through our days just trying to keep up with the daily routines. It is heart warming to be reminded of why we are here, and inspiring to be reminded by a 12 year old girl who was remembering this every day. Thank you for the uplifting post.

Mura

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

Someone should market a mirror with those words on the back, as a tribute to her! I would buy one just because of the inspiration and message it sends!

This what makes America great,some 12 year old dies and it only takes 6 seconds to figure out how to make money off of it. Ingenuity, keeping America strong.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

I think the intention would be to raise money for a charity named after her or something. At least that's what I was thinking.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
OH HOLY %&^$!!!

As a father with a daughter, if I were in his shoes and found that as he did, I would lose it in my trousers. They would have to put me in an institute. I couldn't emotionally handle this. Call me weak, I don't care.

Thank you for posting this OP. S&F

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Caroline said: "I'll never forget when she said 'I'm glad it was me who got ill and not any of my brothers and sisters'.

www.leicestermercury.co.uk...

Suddenly got dust in both my eyes.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
To me the children are the still pure that’s why as wonderful as this story is, it is still painful.

If theirs is a heaven, and I believe there is

This little girl is in it with God

blessings forever!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
As a father I get terrible anxiety even thinking of my kids getting sick and I really wish all children were immune to sickness. Life is a great gift but a temporary one and all we can do is try to do the best we can with it. My condolences to her and her family.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join