It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bashar al-Assad re-elected Syrian president

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has won a landslide victory in presidential poll securing 88.7 percent of the vote, parliament speaker Mohammad al-Laham has said.

Assad's two challengers, Hassan al-Nouri and Maher Hajjar, won 4.3 percent and 3.2 percent respectively.

The victory gives Assad a third seven-year term in office despite a raging civil war which grew out of protests against his rule.

The head of the Supreme Constitutional Court said on Wednesday that the turnout in the country's presidential election this week was 73.42 percent.

Well the results are unsurprising, but i am glad they turned out the way they did. Assad is the only hope for Syria to remain somewhat stable. I'd wager that a Syria under rebel rule would be horrific and greatly unstable (doubly so with the separate sides tugging for control)...

The USA and rebels have called the elections a farce, as only government held areas could vote. Seriously though, it would have been a logistical nightmare to hold polling booths in rebel held areas...and i'm sure the people in such areas would vote for Assad, considering the amount of crap they have to put up with (shariah law, extremism etc).

Anyway, i think the election results are ideal, as we don't want Syria turning into a complete mess (much like Libya).

edit on 4-6-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has won a landslide victory in presidential poll securing 88.7 percent of the vote, parliament speaker Mohammad al-Laham has said.

Assad's two challengers, Hassan al-Nouri and Maher Hajjar, won 4.3 percent and 3.2 percent respectively.

The victory gives Assad a third seven-year term in office despite a raging civil war which grew out of protests against his rule.

The head of the Supreme Constitutional Court said on Wednesday that the turnout in the country's presidential election this week was 73.42 percent.

Well the results are unsurprising, but i am glad they turned out the way they did. Assad is the only hope for Syria to remain somewhat stable. I'd wager that a Syria under rebel rule would be horrific and greatly unstable (doubly so with the separate sides tugging for control)...

The USA and rebels have called the elections a farce, as only government held areas could vote. Seriously though, it would have been a logistical nightmare to hold polling booths in rebel held areas...and i'm sure the people in such areas would vote for Assad (as long as they are not forced otherwise), considering the amount of crap they have to put up with (shariah law, extremism etc).

Anyway, i think the election results are ideal, as we don't want Syria turning into a complete mess (much like Libya).

Gosh. I'm amazed by that result! Oh wait...

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Syria not a mess? Errmm…

Dam ascus a pile of rubble.

But I agree with you they should stay the course. Syrians seem to agree. Turns out Syria is not such a pushover as Libya was.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Egypt had a 97 percentile vote count for its president this week. what is it with 97 percent?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Great ! More blood shed to come ..

Second....

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I never said Syria wasn't a mess. I said it has remained somewhat stable with Assad holding on to power...at least, more stable than what it would be under rebel control.

Thanks for your comment though.
I agree that Syria isn't such a pushover as Libya...but we'll see what happens eventually. I'm hoping things die down soon, as we really don't need Syria succumbing to the same crap Libya did.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Assad won? really? Goodness.. It was such a nail biter, never knowing just how it may go. What happened to poor Hassan and Maher? They were such strong and powerful challengers, ready to lead a nation into the future!

The upset of the decade. To be sure. Whoda Thunk it?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Yay well done Assad

SUCCESS

Go celebrate on the many city sized piles of bricks and dead bodies with your fat wallet full of Russian rubles

YAY

88% of 20% of Syria at very best... Probably just held polling stations at military bases

What a joke this world is

edit on 4-6-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000
Assad won? really? Goodness.. It was such a nail biter, never knowing just how it may go. What happened to poor Hassan and Maher? They were such strong and powerful challengers, ready to lead a nation into the future!

Well, i think it is obvious who was going to win.

Let's be serious though, even if the election was a farce, Assad is probably the best person to ensure a stable Syria. If Syria falls, much like Libya, we can be assured that it will turn out worse. While there were extremist outfits operating in Libya, i think the situation is much more volatile in the Syrian state, where we already have multiple terrorist groups battling for control of rebel held areas.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000

I can only imagine the back rooms of the Angelo-American gods
belching smoke and sparks from under the doors. (Dances on
monitor, not caring for blueberry muffin crumbs at ALL).
Another NATO snafu, and they might be out of play books.

EDIT:: These post-geriatric kingbreakers genuinely need a new
hobby beside counting monopoly money (notice no capitalization)
edit on 4-6-2014 by derfreebie because: I'm so excited--- I just can't dsco.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I never said Syria wasn't a mess. I said it has remained somewhat stable with Assad holding on to power...at least, more stable than what it would be under rebel control.

Thanks for your comment though.
I agree that Syria isn't such a pushover as Libya...but we'll see what happens eventually. I'm hoping things die down soon, as we really don't need Syria succumbing to the same crap Libya did.

Well we'll never know now.. considering the protests where huge nationwide anti government/ Assad protests, in any sane democratic country Assad should have stepped down as happened in Tunisia, Egypt, etc to avoid the blood shed that occurred when government forces began shooting at those protesters, we now have well over 200,000 dead, and probably well on its way to half a million with many millions injured and displaced, it's an absolute mess

There's only one reason Syria ended up in this mess and that was because of Russia

Russia knows full well that Syria is a 90% Sunni country and Sunnis tend to ally and side with the west... It was just to risky not to get involved and fund the whole show..Millions more will die unfortunately, the rebels... The Sunnis are pissed,

It'll end with Assads head on display for sure

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Let's be serious though, even if the election was a farce, Assad is probably the best person to ensure a stable Syria.

Lol

This made me laugh

He's definitely kept it quite stable... Huh? It's only the most unstable country in world by a long shot right now, he failed to keep Syria stable when he ordered his military to control then shoot at mass crowds of innocent protesters

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Egypt had a 97 percentile vote count for its president this week. what is it with 97 percent?

They don't have voting machines there... do they?
Might just be a variable left out of the electoral mix.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TritonTaranis

90% muslim not 90% Sunni. In those 90% some are kurds and Alawites that are not pro Saudi Arabia Wahabi Fundamentalist sect and anti Assad. It is fun how you try to make it seem that all the Sunnis is against Assad when it is not that cut and dry. Not all Sunni have bought the propaganda.

One is Rama Tarabishi, 26, a Sunni woman from Damascus. The rebel Free Syrian Army, specifically the aligned Jabhet Al Nusra fighters, are "nothing more than lunatics who kill everyone who disagrees with them," Tarabishi says, while noting that the Assad regime is a secular one that tolerates diversity.

As normal US sponsors terrorism in other countries for it's ally Saudi Arabia and its interest. You are not allowed to be free from control and not pay tribune to Rome.

www.usatoday.com...
edit on 4-6-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Now...

lets see if his 2 challengers are still alive by next month.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle
As normal US sponsors terrorism in other countries for it's ally Saudi Arabia and its interest. You are not allowed to be free from control and not pay tribune to Rome.

Except in Syria's case Rome is located in Moscow and Tehran.

While the US is no angel your intentional disregard for the flip side of the coin undermines your argument.

As an example -
* - Russia demanded Ukraine not hold Presidential elections because of the situation in country.
* - Russia supported Syrian Presidential elections and saw no issues with them being held.

Ukraine is safer than Syria.

* - Russia states segments of a population have a right to determine self rule (Ukraine and ethnic russians)
* - Russia supports Assad even though the Syrian government represents a minority while oppressing the majority.

If you are going to throw rocks you may want to open the window first in your glass house.
edit on 4-6-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

True that Russia is not a prince Charming and a bully also. Maybe Russia can finally give US such a bloody nose that US citizens stop being wimps and do something about their crazy politicians and stop feeding the wahabi.

Russia supports Assad even though the Syrian government represents a minority while oppressing the majority.

That seem to be a lie if you look at below sources.

According to the latest opinion poll commissioned by The Doha Debates, Syrians are more supportive of their president with 55% not wanting him to resign. One of the main reasons given by those wanting the president to stay in power was fear for the future of the country.

www.thedohadebates.com...

That level of support is not mirrored elsewhere in the region, with 81 percent of Arabs wanting President Assad to step down. They believe Syria would be better off if free democratic elections were held under the supervision of a transitional government.

www.theguardian.com...

Alas, not in every case. When coverage of an unfolding drama ceases to be fair and turns into a propaganda weapon, inconvenient facts get suppressed. So it is with the results of a recent YouGov Siraj poll on Syria commissioned by The Doha Debates, funded by the Qatar Foundation. Qatar's royal family has taken one of the most hawkish lines against Assad – the emir has just called for Arab troops to intervene – so it was good that The Doha Debates published the poll on its website. The pity is that it was ignored by almost all media outlets in every western country whose government has called for Assad to go.

So 55% of Syria wants Assad but 80% of all Arabs want him gone. So external forces in Middle east that do not all live in the country have a right to remove Assad to further Arab financial interest according to you?

Have not seen any counter attack on Saudi Arabia yet for the Russian Caucasus Caliphate terror attacks. But It is probably on it's way.

macedoniaonline.eu...
edit on 4-6-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

Reread my post and try answering again. Your response was to a question I did not ask and nothing in your response address the issues raised in my post.

Assad / government belongs to the Alwite - Shia.
60% of Syria are Sunni Arabs.

The majority of Crimea / South / East Ukraine, according to Russia, are "ethnic Russian" being oppressed by a government that does not represent them.

As for your Saudi Comment and based on the standards set Saudi Arabia is justified using Syrian / Russian logic to invade Syria to protect a majority of the Syrian population being oppressed by a government who does not represent them.

Or is it somehow different because Russia / Iran are not the US or Ukraine?

edit on 4-6-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Thing is Libya did not so much give in, as much as it "lost".

The Libyan population does not want the new Zionist puppet currently in leadership.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Well when you take into consideration that less than 1% of the population of Syria were in the protests which started this war, I don't find this surprising at all, in fact from the get go the majority of Syrians have rallied behind Assad as much as the Western media would want people to think otherwise.

If anything, what has happened over the past few years has only increased Assad's popularity and I would see this as a major backfire on the Wests behalf.. Assad isn't going anywhere and if they must keep fighting, then good luck to him and his army.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join