It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Tom Ridge Resigns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Department of Homeland Security director Tom Ridge has submitted his resignation today. The official announcement will come at 2:45pm EST. This move was expected before the January inauguration. Mr. Ridge has served as DHS director since October 2001, and prior to that was Governor of Pennsylvania from 1995-2001. In his press conference, Mr. Ridge cited the desire to spend more time with his family and attend to his personal life as key reasons for his resignation.

foxnews.com
Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge is resigning, FOX News confirmed Tuesday. He is expected to announce his decision at a 2:45 p.m. EST press conference.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Mr. Ridge sent an email to DHS officials today praising the department's efforts and expressing his thanks for the opportunity to work with those "who go to work every day dedicated to making our (country/company) better and more secure."

Prior to the email, Mr. Ridge met with President Bush at the White House to discuss his resignation and his future plans.

Possible replacements for Mr. Ridge include FEMA director Joe Allbaugh, EPA administrator Mike Leavitt, Minister of the Interior for Iraq Bernard Kerik, and DHS staffers Fran Townsend and Asa Hutchinson.

Related News Links:
washingtonpost.com

[edit on 30-11-2004 by Banshee]

[edit on 3-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Like rats off the Titanic...

Didn't we call this a while back?

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Yeah it really does seem like rats jumping ship, eh? I recall this being predicted right after the election. Anybody want to bet a pizza on who's next?

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Thanks for the news link,

We knew that he was going to resigns, the rumors has been around for a while.

I wonder who is going to take his place, Mr. Bush has been appointing Latinos, so far we have a Mexican, Cuban and we need now a Puertorrican so I will like to see one taking his place.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I can imagine that if a major attack occurs in the near future, these former Bush administration appointees will turn on him and attempt to demonstrate specific moves on the part of that administration which contributed to an intelligence weakness or something of the sort.

I can't imagine that these 'defections' bode all that well for the Bush administration. To first say that you've made no mistakes in your first term, then nearly entirely replace your cabinet and sub-cabinet level appointees is a bit of a mixed signal.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
You know why this is all scary to me? Now I have no proof other than the mass exodus out of Washington, its scary because they are all running for the hills from Dubya. And why would all these people do this? After 4 years under him?

Its because the gloves are off with him. He has an agenda with no political reprecussions. GWB is clearly on a rampage and has some amitious plans that are scaring the heck out of his cabinet.

Trouble ahead guys. Start digging your bunkers now.

[edit on 30-11-2004 by skippytjc]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Tommy.

Hm...we don't need a Department of Scaring People. Get rid of that department.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

Its because the gloves are off with him. He has an agenda with no political reprecussions. GWB is clearly on a rampage and has some amitious plans that are scaring the heck out of his cabinet.

Trouble ahead guys. Start digging your bunkers now.

I have the same feeling but if we raise the alarm we are called names and laugh at.

I always feel that is signs out there but we in our blind believes tend to skip and go on with life.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
What I've heard, and what I'd like your opinion on is this:
I've heard that he is replacing everyone in his cabinet that has stood up and disagreed with him on some issue of policy or another.
If this is true, and so many are leaving or being replaced, what does that say about a president with whom the majority of his cabinet disagrees?

Not sure if it is true, but it is interesting to ponder.

[edit]: [more info]: I think it was Paul Begala on Imus in the morning that was talking about him replacing everyone that disagreed with him, but my memory could be faulty.

[edit on 30-11-2004 by NERaptor]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
NERaptor,

Thats just it. They are getting scared of him or getting fired. Hey, when you are a coach and you have a plan, you build the "best" team that will execute your plan.

The problem here is Dubya has some twisted personal agenda driven by his fanaticism. And of you dont see that he is a fanatic, you are fooling yourself. And I say this as a former Dubya supporter!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Cabinet member resigning on a second term is not uncommon. For example, 10 of Clinton's cabinet members resigned when he was re-elected.

The last Democrat to head the White House is Bill Clinton. Before he finished his second term in office, he had 10 of his original cabinet members resign and several of their replacements also resign. Clinton had four commerce secretaries and three secretaries of treasury, defense, and energy. Only his attorney general and secretaries of the interior, education, and health and human services endured all eight years of Clinton's presidency.

Taken from here

It figures the Bush bashers would weigh in on this. Look back in history and see how many cabinet members resigned on the second term before you make comments about rats on a sinking ship.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Or maybe it's just been a hellacious 4 years, and they're tired. These folks *do* have lives of their own; maybe they just want to have dinner with their families, for a change.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   

For example, 10 of Clinton's cabinet members resigned when he was re-elected.

You beat me to it.

Bear in mind, though, this is a conspiracy web-site, so many posters will see intrigue in any event.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
nyarlathotep,

Look at WHO is resigning though. Its all the high level security staff. I could care less about numbers. Its the who that is interesting and scary here. Think: If you are Tom Ridge, what better time in history to makje a difference in this war on terrorism than right now? And hes leaving? Mmmmm......

Maybe I should say: It figures some GWB supporters would say this isnt a big deal...

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee

Mr. Ridge sent an email ...expressing his thanks for the opportunity to work with those "who go to work every day dedicated to making our company better and more secure."

...our "company"?!? I don't think this is a typo - I think it's a message. lol The US is not a democratic republic of individual citizens - it's a corporation, a company. Get with the program.

I think there may be some big surprises coming, even for the very best most imaginative conspiranoists.

Good work Banshee.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Tommy.

Hm...we don't need a Department of Scaring People. Get rid of that department.

Hah! No kidding. I hope he doesn't get replaced by a gas-mask-wearing goose-stepper, though. We've already got enough of those, even one named Connie. No doubt she read The Prince to Bush before he went to bed every night of his first term.

Zip

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   

This move was expected before the January inauguration. Mr. Ridge has served as DHS director since October 2001, and prior to that was Governor of Pennsylvania from 1995-2001.

Left his position as governor of Pennsylvania in a time of national crisis.
Has been bemoaned (unfairly) of stripping us of our constitutional rights with the Patriots Act. Almost all of his successes are, and will most likely always be, invisible to us, because of national security issues. Has been transformed from a successful, appreciated Pennsylvania politician into a symbol of hatred and scorn by leftists and America haters.

He probably just said, "Enough is enough. Let the whiners protect themselves".

I would think you liberals would be glad to see him go. Instead, you are now concocting up conspiracy theories that point to 'rats deserting a sinking ship'.

Go figure.

:shk:
EDIT Typo

[edit on 30-11-2004 by jsobecky]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee

Mr. Ridge sent an email to DHS officials today praising the department's efforts and expressing his thanks for the opportunity to work with those "who go to work every day dedicated to making our company better and more secure."

Ummm, do I have it wrong? I thought that the DHS was a Government department & NOT a company. Perhaps there is no difference between them nowadays....

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

nyarlathotep,

Look at WHO is resigning though. Its all the high level security staff. I could care less about numbers. Its the who that is interesting and scary here. Think: If you are Tom Ridge, what better time in history to makje a difference in this war on terrorism than right now? And hes leaving? Mmmmm......

Maybe I should say: It figures some GWB supporters would say this isnt a big deal...

Look at who remained:

Only his attorney general and secretaries of the interior, education, and health and human services endured all eight years of Clinton's presidency.

So the secretaries of interior, education, health and human services are high level?

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Two names: Colin Powell and Tom Ridge. How much more important can you get? There are only a couple more names up there....And who knows...maybe they are next?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join