It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fundamentalism and Purity Balls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I have found this trend which has increased in US bible belt somewhat confusing and wrong.
Purity balls started at 1998 by Wilson´s idea when they realized that fathers are not involved in their daughters lives as much as they should be and this absence leads girls to have premarital sex affairs and teenpregnancies. So they get an idea that they will "marry" daughters to God and fathers are boyfriends to them.
Wilson´s webpage
A lot of money is spent for daughters to feel like princesses with fancy dresses ( wedding dresses, evening gowns ) and have a day which resembles a fairy tales stories like cinderella . What they are providing to these young girls ( from age 12 and up ) is fake from top to toe, its an illusion their parents want them to have and it is also brainwashing.
Without sex education in schools or homes leaves these girls defenceless when facing real life. Many of them ends in the marriage where they are not happy and other premarital situations i won´t mention. Some just wait to be married and won´t eduacate themselves and all they want after brainwashing is a husband and kids.

Is this to boost male values and importance in the society and in the families ?
Are 12 years old ready to make such a decision ?
Does this make females as a weaker sex ?

This raises many questions inteed.

edit on 30-5-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
That is very creepy. Daddy is my boyfriend. Weird. The dad looks like he's going in for the full snog in that last video.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Each to their own but that was creepy.
Should be up to the lady when she matures....you can bet at least half of those kids in a few years will throw it right out of the w i n d o w when they get the horn.
edit on 30-5-2014 by boymonkey74 because: window is a naughty naughty word people.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Misogynistic and extremely creepy.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
This is what Wilsons have for boys

The Presentation of Symbols As a part of teaching our sons who they are as men, we selected a few symbols of a warrior to give to them during the manhood celebration.
I asked my mentors and friends to be apart of this ceremony and share with our oldest son lessons they had learned and wanted to pass down to him through symbols and story.
One of the symbols with our son that his mother and I presented him with was a purity ring. As with our daughters, we want our sons to guard their hearts and walk in purity and call them to live in wholeness and strength in mind, body, and spirit.
We call them to protect young women's hearts by living lives of integrity, purpose, and purity. And this ring is to remind him to honor God at all costs.
Another symbol we presented him with was the sword. At that time the immense sword was almost his height. I explained to him that although he could not wage war right now with this imposing sword, he would grow into the weight of the sword just as he would grow into the weight of manhood. We sensed the incredible privilege and responsibility we have to stand courageously as mighty warriors of God calling our sons to "fight the good fight" (1 Tim. 1:18) for the sake of the cross.

Is this equal as the girls ceremony? If it would mothers would be their sons girlfriends and they should also sign an agreement..
Even so its still twisted and wrong. There is no teachings in Bible for this ceremony girls have and these people are really out of their minds.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Never heard of them before. But from the info given here ... it gave me the willies .... it didn't feel right. But to each their own. (I think Freud could have a field day with this!!)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

He surely would have but his studies has been proved wrong many times so he wouldn´t qualify as he was chauvinist with a p#nis envy

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Surely this is more like a cult that has grown out of religious zeal.

The Christian Religion seems to be almost in a fighting mode today. I remember when I listened to the Alpha Course some time ago and the idea of 'surren dered wives' came up. I had to nudge my wife not to laugh out loud when some Christian friends tried talking us into going along.

I do honestly see these cultish behaviours as turning the clock back to a time which I doubt has ever existed. The idea of these innocent kids with fluffy ideas does not equip them for life in the world today. Surely its part of a parent's job to educate their children into the real world, understand values and then balance life with their ideas of how to live it.

I also don't like the idea of thinking of Daddy as a boyfriend for obvious reasons ( as several others posted here) and I dislike the idea that if they want to go down that path then surely Mothers should fit into the son's lives somewhere yet, of course they don't.

I firmly believe, the more I see of religious people today, that men should not be allowed near the alter or to put their mysogynistic views out there as though they are something sacred instead of what they are in reality, male supremist attitudes.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I grew up in this type of environment, and as hard as these people try to cling to old fashioned values and as hard as they try to keep the more conservative values alive, they are going to fail.

And the reason that they are going to fail is that they teach that boys are the leaders of the family and society, but they put the onus of keeping those values alive primarily on the girls.

Sure there may be an equal ceremony for the boys, but is this the actual way that they live? From what I've seen and heard my whole life, it's not. It's only the girls that are taught their half (to live in humility to their husbands and fathers), having it drilled into their heads, but the guys might hear about their half (to honor their wives before their own selfs and to be graceful leaders) maybe every once in a while.

Until that trend reverses, nothing is going to get better in that movement. Until there stops being a culture in the Christian church where abused women are told to stay with the man and pray, until men are held both told that they are the leaders AND held responsible, nothing is going to change, and no woman in her right mind is going to stick with it.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
So oklahoma wants to be more like arkansas.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
So oklahoma wants to be more like arkansas. You all should get together cast some judgement and take away their children in the name of athiesm and gov.

top topics

join