It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moses Complex and Climate Change - Do Christians think they can control the weather?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I was thinking about Climate Change today, and the conservative camp seems to be keen to ignore it as if it will go away. I understand that in other areas, conservative Christian types can make issues they don't like go away through tactics like resource shorting, misinformation, sabotage and intimidation -

But the thing about climate change is it is a natural force that is going to, and already is, affecting economies world-wide. New York and other cities on the East Coast are already having to implement defense systems both against rising tides and hurricanes. One affect of the raising sea temperature is greater potential energy for hurricanes and destructive sea weather - the same thing goes for rising air temperature.

So I was thinking about it, and the Bible has a few accounts in it involving weather - there is Noah, who is able to predict and survive a flood, but more importantly, there is Moses, who was able to part the river in order to pass through with his brethren - this is an example of faith controlling the weather, or other natural forces. Is it subconsciously ingrained in modern Christians today?

Do they think that they can control the weather through faith alone, and this is why they are against Climate Change? Do they take offense to the idea that something is outside of their control?
edit on 28pmWed, 28 May 2014 15:53:46 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
well im about as Christian as the next christian , but its now 28th of May here
in Cape Breton,, last year on the 24th of May i had my garden in the ground,,
in other words ive been waiting for warm weather for about the whole month, so no makes no difference.
but then again im not Moses.
no visible horns.

a reply to: darkbake

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Pretty nebulous statements about Christians, wouldn't you say? Lumping them all into one huge anti-climate change agenda camp. Very propagandesque of you.

And FYI, Noah did not predict the flood. He was informed of its impending occurrence.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

LOL man I know for a fact that Christians do not believe they can control the weather.

100% sure.

edit on 5 28 2014 by JohnTheSmith because: ETA

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

What is the visible horns reference referring to out of curiosity?

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit
Pretty nebulous statements about Christians, wouldn't you say? Lumping them all into one huge anti-climate change agenda camp. Very propagandesque of you.

And FYI, Noah did not predict the flood. He was informed of its impending occurrence.

That is true, there is generalization here - I am bad at generalizing. Thank you, I will address your post here and anyone else who has legitimate critiques.

House Directs Pentagon to Ignore Climate Change

WASHINGTON -- The House passed an amendment to the National Defense Authorization bill on Thursday that would bar the Department of Defense from using funds to assess climate change and its implications for national security.

The amendment, from Rep. David McKinley (R-W.Va.), passed in what was nearly a party-line vote. Four Democrats voted for the amendment, and three Republicans voted against it. The bill aims to block the DOD from taking any significant action related to climate change or its potential consequences. It reads:

None of the funds authorized to be appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to implement the U.S. Global Change Research Program National Climate Assessment, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's Fifth Assessment Report, the United Nation's Agenda 21 sustainable development plan, or the May 2013 Technical Update of the Social Cost of Carbon for Regulatory Impact Analysis Under Executive Order 12866.

So that sounds a lot like superstition - it sounds like conservatives in the House of Representatives (read: Party Line Vote) are voting against researching climate change, but why? Evidence isn't an issue. What is the motivation? It certainly isn't based on facts or science.

It has to be a religious one, or one based on faith in order for their actions to make sense. A lot of this could be, and is more than likely, subconscious. Therefore what I propose is, I think, legitimate -

I am also open to other theories. What I don't understand is what the emotional trigger is that makes votes like this happen against evidence, or even against gathering evidence, when it comes to climate change. The rational thing to do would be to gather evidence.

I understand the emotional trigger for being against evolution is that it discredits Genesis and therefore is a threat to Christian cultural foundations. But not Climate Change.

Also it might be important to understand that the conservatives in the House of Representatives are currently a very extremist block for the most part compared to most of U.S. history.

Most Christians aren't going to be thinking about climate change even, to be honest. But the leadership is - and the leadership doesn't accept science or want to explore science - so their motivation is faith-based. But what could motivate them, in their faith, to be against the idea of man-made climate change?

I have read science fiction comparing Satan to sustainability - is this something in the Christian subconsciousness as well?
edit on 28pmWed, 28 May 2014 16:10:45 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnTheSmith

LOL man I know for a fact that Christians do not believe they can control the weather.

100% sure.

Then how come conservatives aren't interested in the scientific affects of climate change on national security? I assumed it was because they had a back-up plan involving faith - not trolling.

This issue is a prevalent one, not just in this one vote, and it does seem to correlate to conservative Christians (possibly hard-line ones, not moderates) due to the isolated fact that the theme of science being a threat is there once again.
edit on 28pmWed, 28 May 2014 16:15:26 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Actually, just reading the quote you included - all this amendment does is forbid the government from hijacking money allotted to defense spending and using it to fill Al Gore's pockets.... I mean "fix" global warming...uh, that is climate change.

Nothing about anyone trying to "pray away" this damned cold warming.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

What is the visible horns reference referring to out of curiosity?

didnt u know?

Moses Horns,

thought everyone knew that,, well maybe just Christians,,

ya horns, not visible,,

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

You need to keep in mind that the whole global warming/climate change thing is a political rasslin match to begin with. It was put forth by liberal interests early on hoping to use it as a lever to tax corporations with this bogus carbon credits nonsense. So naturally it was met with skepticism by pretty much everyone else.

If it is such a legitimate concern, why were Al Gore and Company so hell bent on this carbon credits nonsense? Would it really do anything to change the climate? No. It would move money from corporations to government. Just. Another. Tax.

The whole thing is a runaway train at this point. I am guessing that those carbon credits were supposed to fund "science" and the so-called scientists who are crying about the end of the world.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: tallcool1

"This amendment will prohibit the costs of the President's climate change policies being forced on the Department of Defense by the Obama Administration," wrote McKinley in a memo to House colleagues on Thursday that was obtained by The Huffington Post. "The climate is obviously changing; it has always been changing. With all the unrest around the [world], why should Congress divert funds from the mission of our military and national security to support a political ideology?"

This sounds like a reasonable quote - but break it down - "Why should Congress divert funds from the mission of our military and national security to support a political ideology?"

Research suggests, however, that the Department of Defense has a number of reasons to be worried about climate change. The department said in its own evaluation last year that climate change presents infrastructure challenges at home and abroad. Meanwhile, a March Pentagon report found that climate change impacts are "threat multipliers," and that the rapid rise of global temperatures and associated extreme weather events could exacerbate issues like "poverty, environmental degradation, political instability and social tensions -- conditions that can enable terrorist activity and other forms of violence."

So as you can see here, it does affect National Security - analysis of the first statement shows evidence of psychological projection onto Obama, which would lead back to the idea that whoever made that statement is the one with the real political ideology.

Psychological projection is the act or technique of defending oneself against unpleasant impulses by denying their existence in oneself, while attributing them to others.[1]

Psychological Projection

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Thanks Bob, that is an interesting aside!

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

That is a true statement, I think that there is evidence that liberals are also not as pure in this as they like to think - so in some ways, it could be more motivated by conservatives pointing out errors in liberal thinking.
edit on 28pmWed, 28 May 2014 16:27:15 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
faith controlling the weather, or other natural forces. Is it subconsciously ingrained in modern Christians today?

"subconsciously ingrained" i do not understand the "subconsciously" part,, its right there in the manual.

for instance,

"For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it,
and bringeth forth herbs meet for them
by whom it is dressed,
receiveth blessing from God:"

"Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are,
and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain:
and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months."

"And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit."

"These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy:"

so why the "subconsciously" part again?a reply to: darkbake

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
You got your religious zealots mixed up. AGW fanatics are the ones claiming humans control the weather, overriding any other factors.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
BS ....BS.... Tell me please do how much has NY put into this notion of rising seas ? There will never be another Ice age despite the cooling that we are experiencing for the past say 15 years .Every time a tornado is spotted weather from space or from some new member to the guys that chase them down it only makes for one more sensational coverage of something that has happened many many times in the past .The AGW meme is a dead horse that the liberal left has decided to kick all the way down the road to some new church of new age reasoning .They have become the dominant cult of our time ... a reply to: darkbake

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Thank you Bob, that is a good point, you are contributing to this discussion in a positive manner - I didn't know about this.
edit on 28pmWed, 28 May 2014 16:48:20 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Darkbake really, clearly you have not attended a church bazaar or feat/fate when it poured with rain.

Your thread reminded me of a story I read some time ago about one of the Pharoahs. He was bored so decided to send for a group of his wives to come across the lake to wherever he was lounging.

The boat set out and suddenly stopped. One of the wives had dropped a hair clip into the water and would not let the boat continue until the clip had been retrieved.

Pharoah in order to get the boat to move had to part the water so that the clip could be recovered. Once he had done that and clip once again attached to hair etc, the boat continued on its way.

I can't remember where I read this lovely story, but it was from a book on the Egyptians, so perhaps in the past parting the water was something not exactly out of the ordinary. Probably one of those nifty little tricks that they forgot over the years alongside how to build pyramids.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
i like this version better,,

unless your saying Pharoe was a God?

a reply to: Shiloh7

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
OP

Sure we can control the weather through our prayers

and God tells us everything that you have been thinking too!

Where do atheists get such weird ideas? Oh yeah, from Democrats, he he he

top topics

<<   2 >>

join