It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Directs Pentagon To Ignore Climate Change

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   

WASHINGTON -- The House passed an amendment to the National Defense Authorization bill on Thursday that would bar the Department of Defense from using funds to assess climate change and its implications for national security.

The amendment, from Rep. David McKinley (R-W.Va.), passed in what was nearly a party-line vote. Four Democrats voted for the amendment, and three Republicans voted against it. The bill aims to block the DOD from taking any significant action related to climate change or its potential consequences. It reads:

None of the funds authorized to be appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to implement the U.S. Global Change Research Program National Climate Assessment, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's Fifth Assessment Report, the United Nation's Agenda 21 sustainable development plan, or the May 2013 Technical Update of the Social Cost of Carbon for Regulatory Impact Analysis Under Executive Order 12866.

"This amendment will prohibit the costs of the President's climate change policies being forced on the Department of Defense by the Obama Administration," wrote McKinley in a memo to House colleagues on Thursday that was obtained by The Huffington Post. "The climate is obviously changing; it has always been changing. With all the unrest around the [world], why should Congress divert funds from the mission of our military and national security to support a political ideology?"

www.huffingtonpost.com...

This means in the up coming water wars ,political unrest ,mass migrations,the U.S military will just sit on it's collective behinds whistling Dixie because some paid off climate change denying politician set up road blocks for them in preparing for what's coming,as everyone who ever belonged to any military organization knows you don't avoid or win battles, wars without preparation,these extremely greedy Pols would rather see us not getting ready just because they believe the $$$ they are receiving from the folks who are behind the anti climate agenda their financial overlords like the Koch Brothers, and Americans for prosperity types will keep them immune.
Oh one more thing climate does affect battle field conditions,as one who was almost swept overboard during foul weather conditions while on-rapping I had a lil taste of that.
edit on 27-5-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

The oldest report on climate change I could find from the pentagon was released in 2003 and presented to the Bush administration.

A world thrown into turmoil by drought, floods, typhoons. Whole countries rendered uninhabitable. The capital of the Netherlands submerged. The borders of the US and Australia patrolled by armies firing into waves of starving boat people desperate to find a new home. Fishing boats armed with cannon to drive off competitors. Demands for access to water and farmland backed up with nuclear weapons. Sound like the ravings of doom-saying environmental extremists? It's actually from a report commissioned by the Pentagon on how to ready America for the coming climate Armageddon.

greenpeace lol yes I know!

Climate change over the next 20 years could result in a global catastrophe costing millions of lives in wars and natural disasters..

A secret report, suppressed by US defence chiefs and obtained by The Observer, warns that major European cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is plunged into a 'Siberian' climate by 2020. Nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world.

The document predicts that abrupt climate change could bring the planet to the edge of anarchy as countries develop a nuclear threat to defend and secure dwindling food, water and energy supplies. The threat to global stability vastly eclipses that of terrorism, say the few experts privy to its contents.

'Disruption and conflict will be endemic features of life,' concludes the Pentagon analysis. 'Once again, warfare would define human life.'

The Guardian

Here is the pentagon report in pdf:

Executive Summary There is substantial evidence to indicate that significant glob al warming will occur during the 21 st century. Because changes have b een gradual so far, and are projected to be similarly gradual in the future, the e ffects of global warming have the potential to be manageable for most nations. Recent research, however, suggests that there is a possibility that this gradual global warming could lead to a relatively abrupt slowing of the ocean’s thermohaline conveyor, whic h could lead to harsher winter weather conditions, sharply reduced soil moisture, an d more intense winds in certain regions that currently provide a significant fraction of the world’s food production. With inadequate preparation, the result could be a significant drop in the human carrying capacity of the Earth’s environment.

An Abrupt Climate Ch ange Scenario and Its Implications for United States National Security October 2003

Hmmm threats foreign and domestic!
edit on 27-5-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   

This means in the up coming water wars ,political unrest ,mass migrations,the U.S military will just sit on it's collective -

Maybe.If the Senate signs off on it.
It was an amendment to a House bill. It is far from becoming law but it certainly is obstructionist.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   

I believe THAT was a SMART-CHOICE ( by the House ) ... BECAUSE:

Global warming on Mars, ice caps melting

-
OBSERVATION-n-OPINION: Polar Ice Caps Melting On MULTIPLE-PLANETS ... Hmmm ... THE "Common-Denominator" = SUN.

AND

Applicable to ... Global-Cooling.

( I'll leave further research to the individual reader(s). )

-
NOTE: The SUN has its own ... SEASONS ... ( some are short, some are much longer ).

-
( I can SEE where Climate-Change-Folks MIGHT be WORRIED about being ... UNEMPLOYED )

edit on 27-5-2014 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Well I think it's high time somebody started calling out these climate alarmists for the fraud they are.

The whole thing is an Agenda21/Banker bilk scam designed to set up the next financial whirlwind "crisis".

These same phoneys had everybody under the Sun convinced that mortgage backed securities would save the world too.

And don't they know the Koch Brothers own a pollution control company ?

Geesh.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   

This is EXCELLENT news!

Finally some political action that makes sense. STOP THROWING MONEY AT IT!

At least the cash cow of climate change death will have one less climate whore entity to stir up everyone into a craze and bleed them dry in the process.

I like how they recognized that it is a POLITICAL ideology and is driven by Agenda 21 hysteria....The big bank /elitist creation that it is.

Now we just have to unshackle developing nations from not being able to actually use their resources and natural wealth to develop and get the hell out of poverty and misery.

Good day for the little guy!

I am going to have a smoke and smile to myself.

edit on 5 27 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: FarleyWayne

I believe that was a SMART-CHOICE ... BECAUSE:

Global warming on Mars, ice caps melting

From your source:

At this time, there is little empirical evidence that Mars is warming. Mars' climate is primarily driven by dust and albedo, not solar variations, and we know the sun is not heating up all the planets in our solar system because we can accurately measure the sun’s output here on Earth.
www.skepticalscience.com...

Read much?

edit on 5/27/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Mars Melt Hints at Solar, Not Human, Cause for Warming, Scientist Says
Kate Ravilious
for National Geographic News
February 28, 2007
Simultaneous warming on Earth and Mars suggests that our planet's recent climate changes have a natural—and not a human-induced—cause, according to one scientist's controversial theory.

Earth is currently experiencing rapid warming, which the vast majority of climate scientists says is due to humans pumping huge amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. (Get an overview: "Global Warming Fast Facts".)

Climate Change Predictions Not Exaggerated, Analysis Says (February 1, 2007)
New Mars Pictures Show Signs of Watery "Aquifers" (February 16, 2007)
Photo Gallery: Global Warming
Mars, too, appears to be enjoying more mild and balmy temperatures.

In 2005 data from NASA's Mars Global Surveyor and Odyssey missions revealed that the carbon dioxide "ice caps" near Mars's south pole had been diminishing for three summers in a row.

Habibullo Abdussamatov, head of space research at St. Petersburg's Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in Russia, says the Mars data is evidence that the current global warming on Earth is being caused by changes in the sun.

"The long-term increase in solar irradiance is heating both Earth and Mars," he said.

science.nasa.gov...

April 14, 2011: If you've ever stood in front of a hot stove, watching a pot of water and waiting impatiently for it to boil, you know what it feels like to be a solar physicist.
Solar Activity Heats Up (xflare, 200px)

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory recorded this X1.5-class solar flare on March 9, 2011.
Back in 2008, the solar cycle plunged into the deepest minimum in nearly a century. Sunspots all but vanished, solar flares subsided, and the sun was eerily quiet.

"Ever since, we've been waiting for solar activity to pick up," says Richard Fisher, head of the Heliophysics Division at NASA Headquarters in Washington DC. "It's been three long years."

Quiet spells on the sun are nothing new. They come along every 11 years or so—it's a natural part of the solar cycle. This particular solar minimum, however, was lasting longer than usual, prompting some researchers to wonder if it would ever end.
News flash: The pot is starting to boil. "Finally," says Fisher, "we are beginning to see some action."
As 2011 unfolds, sunspots have returned and they are crackling with activity. On February 15th and again on March 9th, Earth orbiting satellites detected a pair of "X-class" solar flares--the most powerful kind of x-ray flare. The last such eruption occurred back in December 2006.

Another eruption on March 7th hurled a billion-ton cloud of plasma away from the sun at five million mph (2200 km/s). The rapidly expanding cloud wasn't aimed directly at Earth, but it did deliver a glancing blow to our planet's magnetic field. The off-center impact on March 10th was enough to send Northern Lights spilling over the Canadian border into US states such as Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

So the pentagon under the Bush administration are climate alarmists?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Did I just read that right?
A bill to keep the Department of Defense from acting on the United Nation's Agenda 21?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman
Three years. Wow. A trend for sure.

So, now, 7 years later. How are Mars' ice caps doing?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   
science.nasa.gov...

"That was the fastest coronal mass ejection in almost six years," says Angelos Vourlidas of the Naval Research Lab in Washington DC. "It reminds me of a similar series of events back in Nov. 1997 that kicked off Solar Cycle 23, the solar cycle before this one."

"To me," says Vourlidas, "this marks the beginning of Solar Cycle 24."
The slow build-up to this moment is more than just "the watched pot failing to boil," says Ron Turner, a space weather analyst at Analytic Services, Inc. "It really has been historically slow."

There have been 24 numbered solar cycles since researchers started keeping track of them in the mid-18th century. In an article just accepted for publication by the Space Weather Journal, Turner shows that, in all that time, only four cycles have started more slowly than this one. "Three of them were in the Dalton Minimum, a period of depressed solar activity in the early 19th century. The fourth was Cycle #1 itself, around 1755, also a relatively low solar cycle," he says.

In his study, Turner used sunspots as the key metric of solar activity. Folding in the recent spate of sunspots does not substantially alter his conclusion: "Solar Cycle 24 is a slow starter," he says.
Better late than never.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Climate change is real and scientific studies say that it has been happening for millions of years. I've read that there has been a cycle of at least five glacial and interglacial periods that we know of. Five different times there has been extra cold periods followed by warming periods each and every time. Global warming and global cooling is real, the question is are we the ones that are really causing it since this cycle has existed without us?
edit on 27-5-2014 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Yes. We know about the 11 year (give or take) solar cycle.
What does that have to do with the current warming trend?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: The_Phantom

Global warming and global cooling is real, the question is are we the ones that are really causing it since this cycle has existed without us?
Pretty good evidence that such is the case.

What cycle? Yes, climate changes but there are things that cause it to change.

Solar irradiance hasn't changed enough to account for what we are seeing
No great change in ocean circulation patterns.

On the other hand, CO2 levels are higher than they have been in about a million years. And it's CO2 that is produced by the burning of fossil fuels. So, unless there is something really odd going on, that we can't detect, yeah, it's us.

link   

originally posted by: Phage
Three years. Wow. A trend for sure.

So, now, 7 years later. How are Mars' ice caps doing?

I remember reading where "Polar-Ice-Caps" on Moons-Around-Other-Planets were found to be getting smaller too.

THEREFORE ... ( and/or Reinforcement FOR )

OBSERVATION-n-OPINION: Polar Ice Caps Melting On MULTIPLE-PLANETS ... Hmmm ... THE "Common-Denominator" = SUN.

AND

Like I stated earlier:
( I'll leave further research to the individual reader(s). )

edit on 27-5-2014 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: tadaman

This is EXCELLENT news!

Finally some political action that makes sense. STOP THROWING MONEY AT IT!

At least the cash cow of climate change death will have one less climate whore entity to stir up everyone into a craze and bleed them dry in the process.

I like how they recognized that it is a POLITICAL ideology and is driven by Agenda 21 hysteria....The big bank /elitist creation that it is.

Now we just have to unshackle developing nations from not being able to actually use their resources and natural wealth to develop and get the hell out of poverty and misery.

Good day for the little guy!

I am going to have a smoke and smile to myself.

No this is not a good day for the little guy,the fact is it maybe irreversible at this point, so it will come down to living with it,forget if it's man made or not that debate is OVER! and no longer matters, the Ice is melting

Would YOU be underwater if the polar caps melted? Map reveals what our planet would look like if sea levels rose by 260ft
Martin Vargic created the map to depict the planet with sea levels around 260ft (79m) higher than they are today
Current coastlines are shown using a dotted line and the areas that will be submerged by water are unshaded
In Europe, towns including London, Amsterdam and Berlin would completely disappear as the sea level rises
In the U.S., large parts of the east coast would be submerged including Miami, New Orleans and Washington
The Amazon would bursts its banks engulfing parts of Brazil, and a huge chunk of Australia would be swamped
www.dailymail.co.uk... e-260ft.html

We were being warned for the last 30-40yrs or so we thought we had time ,we did nothing,now like I said we can't stop it we now have to prepare for it and it's the little guy who will pay the price.
edit on 27-5-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: FarleyWayne

I remember reading where "Polar-Ice-Caps" on Moons-Around-Other-Planets were found to be getting smaller too.
I don't.

Like I stated earlier:

I believe that's what's called a circular argument.
"I'm right because I said I'm right." Except your chosen source doesn't say so.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Most scientists agree that greenhouse gases from fossil fuels have contributed to the warming of the planet in the past few decades but have questioned whether a brighter Sun is also responsible for rising temperatures.

To determine the Sun's role in global warming, Dr Solanki's research team measured magnetic zones on the Sun's surface known as sunspots, which are believed to intensify the Sun's energy output.

The team studied sunspot data going back several hundred years. They found that a dearth of sunspots signalled a cold period - which could last up to 50 years - but that over the past century their numbers had increased as the Earth's climate grew steadily warmer. The scientists also compared data from ice samples collected during an expedition to Greenland in 1991. The most recent samples contained the lowest recorded levels of beryllium 10 for more than 1,000 years. Beryllium 10 is a particle created by cosmic rays that decreases in the Earth's atmosphere as the magnetic energy from the Sun increases. Scientists can currently trace beryllium 10 levels back 1,150 years.
Dr Solanki does not know what is causing the Sun to burn brighter now or how long this cycle would last.
He says that the increased solar brightness over the past 20 years has not been enough to cause the observed climate changes but believes that the impact of more intense sunshine on the ozone layer and on cloud cover could be affecting the climate more than the sunlight itself.

Dr Bill Burrows, a climatologist and a member of the Royal Meteorological Society, welcomed Dr Solanki's research. "While the established view remains that the sun cannot be responsible for all the climate changes we have seen in the past 50 years or so, this study is certainly significant," he said.

"It shows that there is enough happening on the solar front to merit further research. Perhaps we are devoting too many resources to correcting human effects on the climate without being sure that we are the major contributor."

Dr David Viner, the senior research scientist at the University of East Anglia's climatic research unit, said the research showed that the sun did have an effect on global warming.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

To deny the suns role altogether in global warming shows the bias towards data not supporting your field of employment.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Yeah al gore promised us no polar Ice caps by now. I still want waterfront property. I guess its not happening.

On a side note,

Can you imagine if the vast mineral and natural resources of developing nations could be exploited by them so they could finally compete with big business of developed nations? They could finally educate, feed, and take care of themselves without aid or interventions or costly loans....

I say that would be a good day for them....a bad day for market dominance by the elite behind the Global warming craze. Sure THOUSANDS of jobs involved in the climate craze would be lost by well educated and otherwise useless eaters....but hey nothing is perfect. At least the dirt poor wouldnt die of starvation and dysentery.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join