It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: New Hampshire Tea Partiers don't trust scientists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Well this poll just scared the crap out of me. According to MotherJones 43% of those polled who identified themselves as members of the Tea Party said that they do not trust scientists. So - let's put this out there for your thoughts.
edit on 20-5-2014 by AngryCymraeg because: Typo

+23 more 
posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
That's not exactly true.

LEFT WING Mother Jones says Tea Partiers dont' trust scientists.

The real headline SHOULD be ... Tea Partiers don't trust Environmental Scientists who claim global warming is man made.

That's a big difference.

edit on 5/20/2014 by FlyersFan because: added the words 'should be' because apparently 'certain posters' weren't capable of getting the meaning of the post

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Well Rick Santorum did say that the Republican party would never be the party of Smart people.

+11 more 
posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
Well this poll just scared the crap out of me. According to MotherJones 43% of those polled who identified themselves as members of the Tea Party said that they do not trust scientists. So - let's put this out there for your thoughts.

What's wrong with not trusting scientists? Climate change is happening but chances are it more because of the electronic universe and not primarily from man made causes. Sure we need to get pollution in check but it seems all the planets are going through the same changes so how could that be man made?

Plus almost every scientist except the ones we write down in history books got it wrong. Food for thought.
edit on 20-5-2014 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

More food for thought. Monsanto scientists say their creations are healthy for you and a better alternative than not modifying food.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Not a real shocker. These are people who scream keep your government hands off our Medicare. If they are not bright enough to know that their Medicare comes from the government then why would they trust scientists.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Not quite, the exact question was: "Would you say that you trust, don't trust, or are unsure about scientists as a source of information about environmental issues?" That's not the same as saying that there was a clash over global climate change.

+9 more 
posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Link to the actual poll paper without the motherjones filter

Not that I care one way or the other about the poll or Mother Jones. I just find it's generally worthwhile to go to the source rather than accept an interpretation of the source given to you by a third party.

+3 more 
posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Always funny when Right wingers are quick to jump on left wing sources when they themselves post articles from Breitbart and CNS news lol

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

What's wrong with not trusting scientists? Climate change is happening but chances are it more because of the electronic universe and not primarily from man made causes. Sure we need to get pollution in check but we're surly not the cause of extreme weather happening aligned with us from other planets.

Plus almost every scientist except the ones we write down in history books got it wrong. Food for thought.

What exactly did you mean by the bit about extreme weather being "aligned with us from other planets"?

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

Thanks for posting.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

It was a typo, corrected.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

Many thanks - I was about to provide a link to it myself.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
show me the raw data, and I'll make it say whatever you want it to..

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: acacko
show me the raw data, and I'll make it say whatever you want it to..

The link's been provided.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Well let me venture a guess without looking at the Poll...Climate Change ?

Yep...I was right...and why do people not trust scientist ? Most of them work for the government and and their Agenda. They have been caught lying about it more than once.

www.climateshifts.org...

www.rollitup.org...

www.prisonplanet.com...

Funny how many don't trust the government but are willing to trust scientist that work for the government...are paid by the government...and soak up anything the MSM reports on "Global Warming"..."Climate Change"...."Climate Disruption"...or whichever moniker it will be tomorrow. The only thing that seems to change is the name it is given or the data collected which seems to always get worse.

It amazes me how individuals capable of thinking for themselves will throw logic out the window and kowtow to some politician who screams we have 500 days left...there is a bigger agenda behind this story and its all about control and more money in their pockets.

A theory is just that and this is exactly that a theory where we just do not have enough evidence to scream like chicken little that the sky is falling. Are their issues with humans behavior that is generating potential issues, of curse but the earth changes daily and over and over as we know from past changes in the earth. It makes adjustments despite humans and will always make adjustments.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I think this survey should be discarded as incomplete.

Sure you can hate on someone for not liking scientists but why? Most scientists ever have been wrong, we don't claim that science is wrong for it. We accept certain principals depending on what studies around the principal have found acceptable, never just trusting one account. So it makes sense to be skeptical of scientists

Consider this. When you have a more grand idea how Monsanto has been lying, hiding or altering studies about side effects of their compounds and the FDA denying miracle drugs to stifle competition for big pharma, why should we trust them? Do the research yourself and find out if they are lying, don't trust.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
There's some interesting stuff in the paper that isnt related to the thread title:

Local or regional news media sources, and television in particular, often lead with dramatic crime stories. That emphasis appears to be reflected by the results in Table 1. Television news watchers are neither more nor less likely
to hold any particular opinion on the science questions, but they are more likely than other New Hampshire residents to favor capital punishment for people convicted of murder.
Newspaper readership does not predict any of the science responses either but does predict how people respond to a gun control question. NHPR carries local and national content with a broad informative focus, often built around conversations with scientists and other topic experts. The central role of their informative, expert-based programming helps explain the striking pattern shown in
Table 1 in which NHPR listeners respond differently than other New Hampshire residents on four of our five science questions—including whether people trust scientists as a source of information about environmental issues.

Besides sounding like a commercial for public radio it shows television news with the "if it bleeds it leads" method of reporting is contributing to a fearful and inaccurate (violent crime is at historic lows) world view and as such viewers of television news are more likely to favor gun control and the death penalty.
edit on 20-5-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
The real headline ... Tea Partiers don't trust Environmental Scientists who claim global warming is man made.

That is NOT the real headline! Are you just making things up now?

The headline is: POLL: Tea Party Members Really, Really Don't Trust Scientists
and the Poll question, as already stated is:
"Would you say that you trust, don't trust, or are unsure about scientists as a source of information about environmental issues?" It's RIGHT THERE in the source.

Now, where did YOU get YOUR crappy information? Got a link?

On topic. This doesn't surprise me. The further right you go, the more out of touch with reality people become, as shown by the chart on this page

+13 more 
posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
That is NOT the real headline! Are you just making things up now?

I'll rephrase ... the real headline SHOULD have been 'Tea Partiers don't trust Environmental Scientists who claim global warming is man made' - instead of the partisan misleading BS headline 'Tea Partiers Don't Trust Scientist'

Now, where did YOU get YOUR crappy information?

Not the far left wing crap rags like you get yours from.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
What about the other parties that don't trust scientist?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join