It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I live in Connecticut and I am getting Radiation readings.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Ok...for the past few years after a heavy rain or snow storm I would take a readings after Fukushima. Our government still tells us we have nothing to worry about. But today after 3.5 inches of rain I have had readings of .05 Rads to 2.00 , which is low , but I never had a reading at all.
I checked www.netc.com... and they say zero....Are they lying???
Yes I have a very good Geiger counter, and I have two coming up with same readings.
Your Thoughts please!

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Okay .... we aren't supposed to ask personal questions so I'll go lightly ....

I'm not sure where you are in Connecticut ... I grew up in Connecticut ... So I'm familiar with the state. Are you on the West side or in the Southern end? Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant , just over the line in New York, has had problems through the years. I'd be looking for something coming from there before I'd be guessing Japan radiation. Just a thought.
edit on 5/17/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan
No far from there I live in western CT. I live in Trumbull just north of Bridgeport.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
If Indian Point lets off steam ... it could be traveling that short distance to where you are. It's just a thought. Map of US Nuclear Reactors

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Honestly Flyers, I wouldn't be surprised if he was receiving radiation from Fukushima. That bad boy has been pumping out grade A radiation for years now. It is bound to start migrating.

*EDIT*

Not that the power plant isn't a valid source ofc. I was simply stating it would not surprise me if it were from the land of Godzilla.

*EDIT 2*

Now that I think about it. There might actually be a Godzilla down there now, or might be soon. Just give it a little more time to mutate. X D

edit on 17-5-2014 by andr3w68 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-5-2014 by andr3w68 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

But today after 3.5 inches of rain I have had readings of .05 Rads to 2.00 , which is low , but I never had a reading at all.

There is always background radiation detectable on calibrated meters. Did you mean mRem/hour? Your spread was from ".05 R to 2.0 R" per hour? Over what duration? What kind of detectors? Where were they placed?

Want to run that by us again? Video of this would be exemplary.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I would say that's within the levels for Background Radiation.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The winds never travel west, east and north.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Yeas it is ,, but the thing is I have never had a reading.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
A 8 hour period after the rain stopped till it socked into the ground.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Gosh, I hope you haven't been buying Japanese green tea lately or drank it at your favorite sushi house. Being serious now, I wish I really had a Geiger counter. I'm kind of free to travel here in Japan and it would be kind of cool to check on this radiation stuff.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic
No don't worry ..I am a preppier after 9/11 ..I was a fire fighter their...I also have a good supply of potassium iodate.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Is potassium iodate supposed to help with radiation poisoning?

2nd.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
It's 6:45 PM EST have I have a steady Reading of .05 rads.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Thanks for the info. Definitely seems handy to have in a book-it bag.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

A 8 hour period after the rain stopped till it socked into the ground.

What I think you are saying is you noticed a little higher than normal background after rain when the meters were in close proximity to the ground, right?

Thats par for the course.

If your setting is on milli-rems then that reading is a a little higher than normal background and nothing to worry about. Not to say there isn't a higher reading at the ground around gutter downspouts, storm drain grates or outlets, radiators, air filters and fender wells on cars, furnace or air purifier filters, etc. There are a lot of places to check for higher than normal readings around us. The key to understanding the readings is to know how and when to look for anomalies.

Obvious places to monitor are milk, unwashed lettuce leaves, bottom of shoes, whatever. Think where dirt accumulates and thats where to look. Keeping records on data from measurements taken over time with calibrated meters then lends to noticing sudden spikes or increases over time.

How you take readings is as important. If you hold a detector three feet over the ground you will barely detect if the the ground is covered with alpha emitters.

If you sweep the ground and you get a spike then that can't be held accurate unless the reading is steady for longer periods, overnight even.

What kind of "geiger counters" are you using? Please include a model number other than just Civil Defense or Store bought… kaay?

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   

I would be more concerned if you could not detect radiation in conneticut

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=17934570]intrptr[/post

No the readings were taken in my house with the windows open.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Next time when it rains, try the gutter down spout. Whatever settles on your whole roof washes down the spout and concentrates there.

new topics

top topics

join