It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please bring back the old search method

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I was just wondering if you could bring back the old search method. I found the older method of searching was alot more accurate then the new boolean search. I also noticed that it won't let me search for all the latest posts and threads started by "member's name" I liked the old method because it listed all the latest responses from "member's name" starting from the most recent post to oldest post.

It probably won't happen, but hey it was worth a try

[edit on 11-29-2004 by CPYKOmega]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Have you used the google search function?

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
google google google

google reigns divine

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Have you used the google search function?

Yep, I don't like it as much as the previous search function.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Boolean searches work pretty well....when you know how to use them. I think the problem we all have is that it the "instructions" don't clearly state how to use it effectively. I haven't quite figured the boolean function on ATS, but my colleges library catalog used a much simpler form of what ATS uses and I liked it a lot.

My suggestion would be that a point reward to be offered to a member that has mastered it (I'm sure someone has) and can make a tutorial or a thread that shows how to use it. Not a big reward, just enough to make it worthwhile for someone to do it.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Maybe the boolean search function was designed especially to scare the "less intellectual" persons away from ATS.
I think that worked, but it's kinda overkill. The search function seems to scare intellectual people as well.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Sooner or later, the Boolean search instructions will be more clear. The reasons for the boolean search are: 1- Our post database is SO MASSIVE, normal searches were killing board performance 2- When used correctly, boolean searches give much better results 3- Automated boolean searches tie main-site content to threads every 24 hours The Google search works very well for ATS for simple searches, as Google has indexed nearly 90% of all content.

new topics

top topics

join