It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Depot rolling out with employee cultural awareness program to respect muslims?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Ridiculous.

Did any of you bother to read the propaganda blog source commenting? Let me chime in with my own awesome reactionary, xenophobic, insane comments:

Performing the rituals of the pilgrimage may last five days during the second week of the twelfth month of the lunar calendar. However, considerable variations exist in trip arrangements, and group travel may take 10-21 days. Muslim employees may choose to make pilgrimage using vacation time.

WHAT OMFG ARE YOU SERIOUS THEY CAN USE THEIR VACATION TIME TO DO WTF THEY WANT? That's it! This is friggin' AMERICA! Religion is only practiced on corporate and state sanctioned holidays like Christmas and Easter!

Employers may wish to modify dress code policies so that religiously-mandated attire is addressed as a diversity issue. For example, many corporations have a policy forbidding the wearing of “hats.” This rule may be amended to exempt items such as head scarves and skullcaps.

HATS?! OMG HATS?! WHAT'S NEXT? THEM LIL JEW BEANIES!? This is AMERICA! The only hats we wear advertise our favorite brands!

A Muslim employee should not be asked to serve or sell religiously offensive products, such as alcoholic beverages

I CAN TAKE THIS SHARIAH INVASION NO MORE. oh wait, Home Depot doesn't sell alcohol... WELL MAYBE THEY BETTER START SERVIN' IT COZ THIS IS AMERICA! NOT SAUDI-A-FRIGGIN-RABIA!

These so-called Muslim “accommodations” are nothing more than the forcing of American institutions to comply with a law that is completely and unequivocally antithetical to our Constitution and our laws. It is called Sharia Law, and the acceptance of the above demands is opening a dangerous door that will soon be unable to close.

Because here in America, our Constitution guarantees that we won't be allowed to do wtf we want with our vacation time, wear hats or deny people their GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO BE SERVED ALCOHOL AT HOME DEPOT!

That's how many of these comments come across.

edit on 2014-5-13 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Is there some kind of forbidden lumber they sell there?
Given what I sell I don't see the need for this at all.
Typical corporate pandering to a vocal minority for a few extra $ (they hope)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I cant help but notice the source provided has a bit of an obvious bias to it....

That said, I personally dont think ANY religion should be taught about at work. I dont care which one it is.

ETA: I DO, however, think that tolerance of ALL religions, creeds, sexual preferences, etc., DOES need to be taught about at work, and needs to be an absolute in the workplace.
edit on 13-5-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
People are ignorant to "alien" practices and religions they NEED training.

When i see the word Muslim i dont leap to the instant conclusions that its terrorist or in some way racial propaganda.

Muslims are the same people everyone else is with a slightly different take on who and why they chose to have faith is a different god. Big deal.

Muslim, christian buddest makes no difference to me. Either you are religious or you arnt, to me the details dont really matter..

Yep.. you are right. People that work at these stores do need training. They need to be able to send the Muslim's down to the local fertilizer store to buy what they need to blow us up. (sarcasm off now)

This is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard! I love home depot, they have almost everything I need, except radical muslim's trying to build suicide bombs, but I guess after the training they will even have that as well.

Or.... Maybe... it is a trick.. and they plan on getting all of the muslim's in the same place... at similar times and then just bring down the whole structure on them.. maybe the world would be better without a religion whose book stresses death and suffering, whose book allows the men to belittle and dehumanize women.

Who knows? I sure don't. I do know that next time I go to home depot, I am going to wrap my whole body in sheets and then argue for my discount.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
You can tell a lot about a person by the way they use the word "Muslim".

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

An alternative view might be that it's not a big deal and that the source blog post is just pandering to ultra right wing xenophobia to attract (they hope) a few extra clicks?

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

An alternative view might be that it's not a big deal and that the source blog post is just pandering to ultra right wing xenophobia to attract (they hope) a few extra clicks?

I sourced more than one link....

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: KnowledgeSeeker81

One of the links you sourced simply talks about the program and that it exists. The other is has an OBVIOUS bias to it.

I always wonder....is there anything more unamerican than people who say "this person or group shouldnt exist in america"? I mean really....

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

originally posted by: KnowledgeSeeker81

One of the links you sourced simply talks about the program and that it exists. The other is has an OBVIOUS bias to it.

I always wonder....is there anything more unamerican than people who say "this person or group shouldnt exist in america"? I mean really....

The second link is the organization itself. I don't mind if they exist, just like most others. I have no interest in it personally, so why is it forced upon me. To the average worker at home depot its probably a 2 hour video. To Home Depot its a multi-million dollar tax write off for "training purposes". To the average Muslim, it means nothing.

It's the imposition that we all must be educated about Islamic/Muslim beliefs that is the issue here. Muslims in the US have the right to not work/shop where their religion may be offended. Don't infringe on my right to not learn Islamic ways, that's the point I was making.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Having read the article at hand the question must be asked, what is really going on?

Home Depot, should not be offering anything that Muslims would find offensive, they do not sell pork products, last time I checked, they are not selling alcohol, and I don’t see them selling any dogs, or other forbidden meat. So what is there to be so tolerant of when it comes to Muslims?

What I believe is the true answer to this, is that it is a test run. Consider this, if they can get one company to sign on to their ideal’s, then they could potentially move onto other companies. If they can push this on one company, who knows what company they will be able to do this to.

While many companies have none discriminatory practices, and try to accomidate most employees, the reality is that they can not accomidate all of them. Nor should they, as they have to take that into consideration when it comes to staffing.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: KnowledgeSeeker81

I have to agree with you on this one. On one of your later posts you summed up my view on the situation well.

"It's the imposition that we all must be educated about Islamic/Muslim beliefs that is the issue here. Muslims in the US have the right to not work/shop where their religion may be offended. Don't infringe on my right to not learn Islamic ways, that's the point I was making."

Now to further explain my view. A program like this "infringes" on my religious rights. I have a mingled Taoist/Shinto philosophical outlook on life. Essentially I am for live and let live. I'll leave you in peace if you leave me in peace. If I worked at a Home Depot in Dearborn I would be forced to object and refuse to participate. I would not treat a Muslin customer any different than another. It is essentially an insult to suggest that I need unique knowledge to deal with a specific customer. I mean that is quite an arrogant presumption on their part when their goal is "cultural awareness".

To put the argument on the other shoe. For arguments sake. Would Home Depot allow me to work there with my very long male hair? I'd consider that a related issue to the skullcap one. Would Home Depot be sensitive to my vacation scheduling needs? I don't go on a pilgrimage to Mecca but I do embark on "pilgrimages" to sites that contain beautiful Kami.

No, I doubt Home Depot would be as forgiving. The requests by CAIR seem harmless enough but unless Home Depot is willing to extend the same liberties to other employees, for different reasons, I would say Home Depot is in the wrong. They should remain religiously neutral.

I have no problems whatsoever of refusing to work for a company that would compromise my spiritual beliefs even if it would bring me material harm. Why should a devout Muslim be any different. By all serious accounts a devout Muslim makes personal sacrifice for their religious beliefs. Why should this be any different if the practices of Home Depot offend a Muslim so?

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I say when I go to Home Depot, I want a stick of lumber or a box of nails. Not a Public Service Announcement wrapped in whatever ways this whole idea will plop on the scene.

Sounds like something which will cost money. One sign, in one store will have cost them something, after all. That makes my box of nails or stick of lumber a penny or two higher for the privilege of being told what I should think and feel ...at the hardware store.

As someone else said earlier, Lowes it is. I always did prefer blue, anyway. When they annoy me? Ace works.....and if they really get stupid? The Amish have quality for the consumer willing to pay a bit more. Always choices in life.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots
Shouldn't home and school teach you about tolerance and religious traditions?
Why should businesses have to do it?

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

a reply to: captaintyinknots
Shouldn't home and school teach you about tolerance and religious traditions?
Why should businesses have to do it?
I would be totally fine with it not being taught in the workplace at all, so long that it was an considered an absolute in the workplace.

I personally think, though, that it would be unreasonable to make it an absolute in the workplace without at least offering up some education as to what will be expected. Its already done on almost levels of business already through HR and orientation classes as well as periodic 'refreshers'.

Do you have an issue with HR departments going over guidelines for tolerance in orientation classes and the like?

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: CaticusMaximus

originally posted by: Sakrateri

Because the whole world is scared to death of people that wear explosives for clothing, you never know if that one you piss off is going to explode. They are winning.

Its not even this, really. Its PC culture run amok; out of control; rampaging throughout the entire Western collective psyche.

Why this is happening is hard to say, but I dont think very many people actually WANT to be PC when it comes down to it. People, generally, want to be truthful, and express themselves without irrational restrictions.

I really think its about the need to "fit in", to, quite frankly, conform to the standards of the herd lest you be looked at strangely. Thing is, the herd doesnt really want to be this way, they just cant seem to break away from the habit thats developed.

Its easy to do, really: stop hiding your feelings. Speak your mind. Express yourself without fear.

You can always do so politely, and without hostile intent. But to be afraid that you might offend someone and youll be ostracized for doing so, so you keep your true feelings bottled up, is ridiculous. You do yourself, nor anyone else, any favors.

This is a world of fakery, deceit, deception, and illusion. Some of that overlaps, but its redundant necessarily. The fakeness of the people of this world is a MAJOR root anchoring many problems into our society. The solution is simple though...

Stop being fake. Stop lying. Drop the PC bull#.

That doesnt mean you have to be mean about it. It just means your not being fake, to yourself, or your compatriots.
you have got to be fake or you get locked up,espeicially in the u.k. Muslims are taking over our schools and raping the most vulnerable girls in society. Boko harem kidnapping girls in nigeria is nothing compared to their crimes in britatin. The only reason i can think of is that islam has the best chance of all the abrahamic religions to take over ther world.
Anyway a bit of nostagia m.youtube.com...

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: KnowledgeSeeker81

The second link is the organization itself. I don't mind if they exist, just like most others.

Yet your first link says within its first few sentences that, to paraphrase, (I refuse to click on that bigoted link again to get the exact quote):The organization shouldn't even exist in this country. Just sayin'.

It's the imposition that we all must be educated about Islamic/Muslim beliefs that is the issue here. Muslims in the US have the right to not work/shop where their religion may be offended. Don't infringe on my right to not learn Islamic ways, that's the point I was making.

Do you work at Home Depot? If not, its not being forced on you. Its a business decision. They see a sector of the marketplace that they feel they could better utilize, and they are working toward it. Just as you say Muslims are free to shop elsewhere, so are you, if you don't like them going after that demographic. And so are employees, if they don't like the tactics their company is using.

Again, its a business decision. Nothing more. To make it into any more than that begs questions about motivation.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: kdyam

maybe the world would be better without a religion whose book stresses death and suffering, whose book allows the men to belittle and dehumanize women.

So you want to gather all Christians, Jews and Muslims in one place and kill them? All their books say them same thing.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This is the same type of idiotic thing that Lowes does; Lowes has giant signs with Spanish words on them. It makes no sense---this type of thinking. The same could be said when you call most government agencies and business' when they give only English or Spanish options. These people making these decisions are lunatics....

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
When I ran my little daycare, I babysat for three Muslim families, these issues never came up, they even went to church with me, and had me come pray for them when they were sick.

Things sure have changed a lot.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join