It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LA Police Chief claims Gun as Defensive Weapon... A Myth.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

This guy is an obvious idiot.

He claims that guns are for intimidation not defensive.

Tell that to the family that waited 30 minutes for the cops to show up to protect them from murder and rape.

He's right though, cops do use their guns for intimidation.

What world do we live in? < rhetorical.

AAC

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
The hell? Is this guy for real? Defensive gun uses outnumber criminal uses of guns by a wide margin.

Hell there are 10 times more news stories out there of regular citizens using their guns in a defensive manner than all the news stories of criminals using guns to hurt the innocent.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
The hell? Is this guy for real? Defensive gun uses outnumber criminal uses of guns by a wide margin.

Hell there are 10 times more news stories out there of regular citizens using their guns in a defensive manner than all the news stories of criminals using guns to hurt the innocent.

You see, that's where you're wrong. Those people weren't defending themselves, they were offensively intimidating criminals with their guns.

/sarcasm

It's terrible that there are law officers out there that believe this... it's terrible that anyone believes this.

There is no such thing as an offensive or a defensive weapon. It all depends on if you use it in an offensive or defensive manner.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Well of course they are used for intimidation. Doh!

How else are women, the elderly or anyone else at a disadvantage, supposed to intimidate a violent predator intent on doing them harm?

Did anyone else catch where he said cops don't carry guns for defense of themselves or others? Umm... OH REALLY?!

I think he needs to be shown some job far from law enforcement. No wonder we have the problems we see. It goes from the top down. Tops like that. (cough) wow...

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnAbsoluteCreation...He claims that guns are for intimidation not defensive.

...He's right though, cops do use their guns for intimidation.

You are correct... Let's see if he believes what he says... Perhaps he should start a trend, and PROVE it...by disarming his armed intimidating offensive force...and see if that solves the problem.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AnAbsoluteCreation

I think at this point it would help to define weapon.

weap·on [wep-uhn] Show IPA
noun
any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.
anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim: the deadly weapon of satire.
Zoology . any part or organ serving for attack or defense, as claws, horns, teeth, or stings.

source

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I'm open to the idea that police officers have been conditioned with all the bad they see. But to lose complete grasp of reality in the process is even more damning.

AAC

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

The look on his face says his mouth took off way ahead of
his brain.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

He is absolutely right about guns holstered in view, they are there for no reason other than to intimidate. A Cop would know this best.....what a joke.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This guy is ding ding deep into doublespeak and does not even realize it.
Cops need to change their way of thinking pretty quick..

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Someone should ask him to Disarm all of his Officers if this is true.

Ever notice how the people in charge lately seem to be getting dumber.

Here in LA, they spray the skies a lot, maybe there's a connection ? .

Peace

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

And 10 times that many more not reported to authorities; myself included.

And aren't pistols considered your last line of "defense"?

Mans delusional.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Did anyone else catch where he said cops don't carry guns for defense of themselves or others? Umm... OH REALLY?! - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I couldn't believe when he said that...
He even got chocked up a little bit after he said that, I think after he heard that come out he realized how stupid that sounded

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

It's not a surprise coming from the LAPD. Remember, these are the guys who executed an accused cop killer without trial, by incinerating him on national television and shot up cars in a case of mistaken identity.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

His entire speech was a contradiction after watching again.

AAC

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

It boggles my mind.

It seems to me, that every single person who has come forward to speak on behalf of the anti-gun agenda, whether it be that politician fellow who could not for the life of him work out the terminological difference between a clip and a mag, or this horses ass, who clearly has no idea how to communicate an idea effectively, have been absolutely incapable of public speaking.

He says on the one hand, that a gun is not a defensive weapon, but claims that his officers carry them in order to do their jobs safely. Well, either the gun increases their safety margin, or it lessens it. If it improves their chance of surviving contact with heavy criminal presences, then surely carriage of the gun is defensive? Does a seventy year old own a gun because he wants to do a drive by every month, or because he fears home invasion? Does a mother or father own a gun because they want to drop the drug dealer down the street, steal his stash and sell it himself, or does he own a gun because he wants to protect his family from random meth heads?

The thing which classifies a weapon as either defensive, or offensive, is the intent and circumstance in which it is used, as this Chief ought to damned well know!

There is no such thing as a defensive weapon anyway! If something can be considered a weapon, it can be used for both offense and defense, as indeed, can the human body itself! A staff can deflect a blow, or strike one, a sword can prevent a laceration being inflicted on its wielder, and allows the wielder to deal a cutting wound to his foes in turn, and a gun can be used to prevent escalation of an event, or used to bring such an event to a close.

A tazer, pepper spray, even a riot shield can be used in the commission of an offensive act against a person. Again, the real defining line between offense and defense, is intent on the part of the user.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Oh.. Yeah.. the bad cop who went postal only after losing the fight to get his old job back...he'd lost for cause and misconduct.

No need to go there, I'd think..

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

I'm having a very hard time believing this is true. It's pretty rare for me to hear about someone defending themselves with a gun and fairly common to hear about someone being murdered, shot, or mugged with one.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
why_not_both.jpg

Seriously, why the big deal about classifying a gun as a defensive weapon or not?

It's obviously something that is not just used for defensive reasons. My guess he has an agenda, it's a poorly thought out argument though and hardly worth even taking seriously.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

I'm having a very hard time believing this is true. It's pretty rare for me to hear about someone defending themselves with a gun and fairly common to hear about someone being murdered, shot, or mugged with one.

That would be because the defensive gun use stories never get national attention.

Those stories are pages into the news paper in local areas and get about 1 minute of airtime on the local news channels.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join