It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to NASA: Use trampolines to get into space

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Glassbender777
This is definetly the time to unveil something new if America has it. I really want to believe we do, but im not so sure we have anything besides old shuttles, and rockets that send satellites into space. gosh can we be this dumb, really

The US and EU have Likely been busy renovating that old Alien ship we all thought was a small moon. The trillions of $$ have drained off to somewhere you know, along with the gold.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
It's so fun when the gloomy depressed Russians try to be comical.

Its so typical when someone takes the western media propaganda of Russians being gloomy and depressed serious. I feel the same way when people assume all Russians drink vodka, play Tetris and wear furry hats.

Its a stereotype. Its akin to saying black folks don't swim and white people can't jump. I know many Russians who are very jovial and display rapier humor.

With that said...If I was Russia, I wouldn't let America use their space program either.

MM

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Mr Mask

Interesting list
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: adjensen

So politics will dictate how human advancement goes now? Great, glad to see the scientific community is not letting petty differences hinder our development as a species.

Heres an idea, how about Russia forgoes using anything learned by NASA over the last decades and finds its own brilliant way to replicate what we did and learned all on their own.

The international space station is not their property. In fact they can go ahead and decouple everything the US built on it and throw out every piece of equipment that was bought and paid for with US tax dollars.

I say we go it alone and when the great discoveries and resources of space are at our disposal, they can buy them at a huge mark up in their local markets or come to our schools to learn about it all.

Jerks.

Play nice Russia, you are only a decade into your recovery. We have been where we are at for about half a century. You could find yourself being the ass hats of eastern Europe again.

EDIT TO ADD:
I guess one of their best customers for launching satellites and people into space are not very needed then. Ok, we´ll launch our own stuff and start to compete commercially with you guys for a piece of that pie. We have been doing it as long as you and frankly, we do it better.

edit on 5 3 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

Interesting list
en.wikipedia.org...

I am not disputing that Russians drink. Nor am I from a country that is overly sober myself. I am pointing towards stereotypes of "Russians" and saying it is far past the time we should be promoting them.

Including thinking Russians are cold, depressing, somber types with no humor. Its stereotypes like these that make it easy for governments to sway the minds of entire populaces.

MM
edit on 3-5-2014 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I agree, I simply found the table interesting some countries were no where near where i expected on the table. I hate stereotyping.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The international space station is a work in progress and a marvel of technology and cooperation between all nations. It would be a shame if politics got involved in that endeavor. However there are a few things that people tend to forget, and it is not lost on either space agency.

NASA needs RFSA as much as RFSA needs NASA. While NASA currently does not have a vehicle to get people up and down from there, at the same time, RFSA needs NASA for the technical components that is required to keep the ISS in orbit and working as it should. While the politicians are bickering back and forth, neither side can afford to let this one endeavor go to waste, not after all of the money that was sunk into it, and the sharing of information on both sides.

Ultimately right now the ISS is considered neutral territory, as there is more at stake there that is bigger than either country or the politics of the day.

Personally I am shocked that the person who is running Space X is not putting forth plans and moving forward on building their own private space station that would rival the ISS station in far greater means and technology. I for one would like to see such happen, and maybe that if someone does such, it may bring the focus back to pure research, dreaming and realization that perhaps working together can achieve greater things.

After all when Neil Armstrong first took that step on the moon, the statement he made was not to just praise one person but all mankind, the same can be said about the voyager programs as well, and the golden disks that they carry.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Space Programs,SETI,Space Exploration and specially the ISS are meant to be projects based on the cooperation of the different countries in the world....a HUMAN effort.

Sadly,politics get in the way,politics ALWAYS get in the way.I'd love to see what scientists and astronauts think about these statements, russian,chinese and american astronauts. But that will never happen.

Good riddance technology and evolution,welcome back Cold War.

I'm completely against any sort of imperialism,be it Old Soviet loose ends Russia is trying to tie, American expansion and invasion of the Middle East, Chinese economic empire or the Cuban Parasites helping autocrats destroy countries in South America.

All of these are,to some extent very dangerous and they can't all function together, they don't bring balance to each other only conflict,death and war.

The NASA needs and depending on Russian actions/sanctions will probably get some funding a.s.a.p wich is a good thing, since it's been left in the dark for too long now.

But the point is, either make the ISS work as a TEAM or dismantle it,send those guys back home and please CLEAN UP BEFORE YOU LEAVE.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: metodex

Good riddance technology and evolution,welcome back Cold War.

Actually to be honest the last cold war gave us a huge technology boom!

When there is a threat each side pours billions more into R&D to out do the other and alot of that although defense R&D trickles into to the civilian sector.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Not propaganda. First hand knowledge. Experience. Lots of it.

Feeble attempt.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The Russians would be wise to consider the possibility that the USA may have cut back its peaceful space programs, and "used" them as transport to/from the ISS.

Meanwhile diverting to secret military space missions....

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

Heres an idea, how about Russia forgoes using anything learned by NASA over the last decades and finds its own brilliant way to replicate what we did and learned all on their own.

USA peaked with Apollo when it came to manned flights. Russia to me do it better when it comes to cost effective reliable manned space access now and for the time being (that may soon change).

Plus Russia are hardly backwards or unknowledgeable when it comes to space
1) First satellite in space
2) First animal
3)First Human

The shuttle was over expensive, over-engineered and over ambitions and it ended up with the USA hitching rides on Russian ships.

Dont get me wrong I have full respect for US manned space achievements up until the 70's when you guys lost the plot got bored and gutted NASA budget. Then decided to go for the silly "wings in space" idea that ended up a dead end and has temporally killed American manned space flight.

Yeah so much for greatness!

The international space station is not their property. In fact they can go ahead and decouple everything the US built on it and throw out every piece of equipment that was bought and paid for with US tax dollars.

Nor is it the USA property and I dont think property is in dispute.

The soyuz IS Russian property and its up to them who use it.

Rather than get pissy at Russia get pissy at your own government that gutted NASA budget and forced you to rely on hitching rides on Russian craft?

I say we go it alone and when the great discoveries and resources of space are at our disposal, they can buy them at a huge mark up in their local markets or come to our schools to learn about it all.

Great Idea you just got to convince your government and public to dump more money in NASA and please do! We the best doller you could spend!

Jerks.

Again who fault is it NASA got there budget slashed and were stuck with a unsustainably expensive white elephant they had to cancel before they could get a replacement vehicle?

I would say its the USA fault and the USA alone why you are haveing to rely on a belligerent, corrupt and potentially hostile nation to play taxi to your astronauts!

Play nice Russia, you are only a decade into your recovery. We have been where we are at for about half a century. You could find yourself being the ass hats of eastern Europe again.

Really?
you call 17 Trillion debt a stable foundation?

Id say play nice America or you may find that 17 Trillion doller rug pulled out from under you!

edit on 3-5-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Feeble attempt.

No...you have no experience that proves Russians are cold, humorless and depressing. In fact, any life experience that gave you this false impression left you with a lack of insight on human nature and culture.

A blanket statement to cover any race of people is "racism".

I've had almost 40 years on this planet and the lucky pleasure to know many Russians. not a single one was "cold and depressing". To even assume an entire populace to be so is silly.

And defending against such nonsense is not typical. Its applaudable.

MM

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

You are a smart and rational Ewok for sure.

Everything you just said is not only true, but ignored by my country's populace mostly. Those who do say such things are pegged as Anti-American.

Truth be told, we are in the position to beg Russia for space-help. And if we wish to benefit from their working space program, we should be a bit more polite with them.

Yet, here I see Americans rushing to bash Russia too often. It's like asking Mom to use the car. If you want to use the car you better do your homework, clean your room and above all show mom some respect...OR save up for your own car.

MM

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I would expect nothing less from you when it comes to giving even an iota of respect to the US. The 70´s is where you stop the ball? really?

As far as the white elephant.....the copied it...entirely. Have you seen a Russian space shuttle? Its OUR CLONE.

What ever Ewok. This is just retarded.

They use wasteful ass rockets that pollute our atmosphere and only look towards keeping it cost effective and simple. We look towards the future. Give us a chance. We are taking a respite, we are not dead. We will glide into space eventually.

And before anyone mentions the pencil compared to the gel pen in an effort to praise Russian ingenuity...pencils cause short circuits from fragments and bits being highly electrically conducive and gel pens dont. Thats why Russians use gel pens in space, that we developed.

The entire global space industry takes not a page but entire chapters from our years of tireless development. You cant even count the little things we contributed that make the whole show possible. Forget the small steps and not to mention the leaps and bounds. Our giant leaps are things of the past though....Mankind can thank Russia instead...for giving us a ride in the last decade into ORBIT.....Whos going to make the colonization of Mars a reality for our species? For profit Russian orbital launch companies? Right.....

but again, entirely predictable.

And lets not forget why these sanctions are in place. Unless its ok to do what they are doing now to the Ukraine in your book.

I have seen a tireless effort to denounce American imperialism, or its contributions.....cutting off our collective noses in the process....but when Russia does it, its cool. Putin wears sun glasses and has memes made in his honor.

what ever man.

edit on 5 3 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Mr Mask Geezus take a pill.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: adjensen

I pay a lot of taxes and I wish I had a say as to where these taxes should go. I would put all my money on space exploration (including science/math education). I'm glad we have a space station floating around, but we have to build upon that platform. We should expand the ISS and make it bigger and use it as a scaffold to build a massive rotating space station that can house/support several hundred people.
I don't want to summon Oberg with my comments, but I was never comfortable with how the Apollo funding was terminated and then a gap and then we had the Space Shuttle program. We were sending people to the moon every few months during the Apollo missions. We could have built upon that.
None of it makes sense (dollarwise as well).

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

a reply to: Mr Mask Geezus take a pill.

The world needs less people taking pills. Less people being racist. And less people offering pills when people point out racism and correct it rationally.

PS- Russians would find it funny. Cheer up, you seem Gloomy and depressed.

MM

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

The 70´s is where you stop the ball? really?

Been to the moon lately? No?

As far as the white elephant.....the copied it...entirely. Have you seen a Russian space shuttle? Its OUR CLONE.

And?

They use wasteful ass rockets that pollute our atmosphere

~HAHAHAHAHAHA are you for real? SO DOES THE USA!

and only look towards keeping it cost effective and simple. We look towards the future. Give us a chance. We are taking a respite, we are not dead. We will glide into space eventually.

Eventually is not now.

Sorry USA is not number 1 here, not now, future maybe? If you get your fingers out but now now. But you spin it how you like if it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.

And before anyone mentions the pencil compared to the gel pen in an effort to praise Russian ingenuity...pencils cause short circuits from fragments and bits being highly electrically conducive and gel pens dont. Thats why Russians use gel pens in space, that we developed.

Wow you invented a pen very clever have a gold star!

...Mankind can thank Russia instead...for giving us a ride in the last decade into ORBIT.....

What arrogant stupid American BS

Russia beat the USA in all the space milestones except the moon.

The USA space program was built on German research.

USA achieved a lot and maybe even won the last space race but it certainly didn't solely pave the way single handed and win by leaps and miles.

Whos going to make the colonization of Mars a reality for our species?

No idea

For profit Russian orbital launch companies? Right.....

Likely not.

but again, entirely predictable.

Not really unless congress get there finger out and give NASA a decent size budget.
t.

And lets not forget why these sanctions are in place. Unless its ok to do what they are doing now to the Ukraine in your book.

Im not supporting Russia action.

Only calling the USA fools for falling so far back in manned space exploration and having relying on such a regime in the first place.

Russia may be corrupt and they may be bordering on evil but you cant blame anyone but yourself if they deny you taxi rights on there soyuz and ground the USA.

I have seen a tireless effort to denounce American imperialism, or its contributions.....cutting off our collective noses in the process....but when Russia does it, its cool. Putin wears sun glasses and has memes made in his honor.

No its not cool that Russia doing it.

But this isnt about my opinions on Russia despicable actions.

Its about the USA being stupid enough to fall behind with manned spaceflight to the point they had to rely on such a shady and unpredictable regime and then crying over it.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mr Mask

Feeble attempt.

No...you have no experience that proves Russians are cold, humorless and depressing. In fact, any life experience that gave you this false impression left you with a lack of insight on human nature and culture.

A blanket statement to cover any race of people is "racism".

I've had almost 40 years on this planet and the lucky pleasure to know many Russians. not a single one was "cold and depressing". To even assume an entire populace to be so is silly.

And defending against such nonsense is not typical. Its applaudable.

MM

I've had way, way more than 40 years on this planet, and I can tell you that the ignorance of racism and general confrontational, judgemental nature is not exclusive, it is within every soul on this planet.

It is the inherent flaw in mankind that will lead it to its own doom eventually.

edit on 3-5-2014 by ausername because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join