It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Emory Chemists Create Unprecedented Metallic Molecule

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Craig Hill, Professor of Chemistry, and collegues from Emory University have for the first time combined an oxygen molecule with a platinum substrate. The researchers work is significant, as it breaks the so-called "oxo-wall" barrier to create a stable chemically bonded stucture comprising of both oxygen and platinum that was once thought impossible because oxygen is extremely unstable when combined with certain metals. Chemical bonds such as this are commonly known as "metal-oxo species" and are found in many molecules and materials. Unfortunetly, up until now, metal-oxo species become alot less stable the further to the right one looks on the periodic table. Until this breakthrough, attempts to create such species with elements such as gold, silver and platinum have proven unsuccessful.

www.spacedaily.com
For the first time ever, Emory University researchers have broken through the so-called "oxo-wall" to create stable multiple chemical bonds between oxygen and platinum � once thought impossible because oxygen is extremely unstable when combined with certain metals.

The breakthrough holds the potential for numerous applications in fuel cells, catalytic converters and emerging 'green' chemistry.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As the article states this is yet another once thought to be impossible barrier in the sciences, and good news for industry and greens alike as it could usher in a new era of environmentaly benign compounds for both industrial and consumer use. I myself don't know what some of the applications will be in the short term, but I do know its yet another breakthrough in the rapidly advancing realm of nanosystems and fabrication.

[edit on 28-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I personally would love to see a thread started on the possible inventions that could be made with this new discovery kindof an online engineers column if i might call it that.
I have no idea what could actually be done with such a molecule but im sure some of the people here could think of something.

join