It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Loris: Cutest animal Ever!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
All I can say is... I want one... I'd call him Gizmo!!

This little guy is soo damn cute... I just had to post it

Cuteness Overload!!

I thought it was fake when I saw the paw.... reminded me of gremlins...

edit on 28-4-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Just look at that sweet face and those great big innocent eyes! Oh my goodness, he is adorable! Wonder what they sound like?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star
Geeez... I wanna cuddle my laptop now LOL

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
You called it correctly when you said cuteness overload. I marvel at its hands and humanlike fingernails. Do you know more about this sweet animal that you can share?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I just hope that his people in the real world are unaffected by our trip but that would be dream # ?. Really hits the old heart strings to see such a lovely animal. Thanks for sharing

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Just read that they have poison in their elbows
and when needed they lick their elbows, mix it
in it's mouth and gives you a toxic bite.

Locals don't really mind because they pull their
teeth out so there is no more toxic bite.

They also live in trees, not cages.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Heres another video...

I just can't get over how cute these guys are... I've never heard of a loris til just now...

Sounds like something out of a Dr. Seuss book... Looks like one too!

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
And Another!!

OmG!! LOL

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: snewpers
Just read that they have poison in their elbows
and when needed they lick their elbows, mix it
in it's mouth and gives you a toxic bite.

Locals don't really mind because they pull their
teeth out so there is no more toxic bite.

They also live in trees, not cages.

Killers without question just look at those calculating eyes! It's the cuteness that blinds you!

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: minkmouse

Killers? Nah… it's for protection. That's why
they pull their teeth… That's a sad thing.

These are ape like animals, they should be in
trees and outdoors. Not on a blanket. Their
cuteness will be their downfall once people
want them as pets…

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
It seems to have good eating etiquette too. My wife would trade me in in a minute because of that reason alone.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I have to admit that the cute factor is waaaaaay off the scale..

Wasn't there a "Dramatic Loris" that was used once awhile back on youtube?

ETA..

My bad.. it was the dramatic lemour (which could be a distant cousin?)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   
To all of our great members here who think that the Loris is quite cute and lovely...

As some members know here I am a veterinary specialized in primatology...

I have worked with this species (and sub species) for various primate conservation projects and let me tell you something... THEY BITE... and bloody hard with a potential to kill you or cause serious infection... I wore special gloves...

For those wishing to have this type of animal as a domestic pet I would strongly say NO...

The reasons being :

This animal stays where he/she should be... not in a cage suffering for the rest of his/her life to die prematurely because of lack of natural ressources and un-neccessary teeth removal just to please certain ignorant humans.

This is a nocturnal animal and does not want some ignoramus giving it huggy wuggies during our normal day time cycle... he/she sleeps during the day... Do the huggy wuggie thing and watch the poor animal perish slowly for lack of sleep and eating routines completely screwed up...

This animal is an omnivore and forages for food (including live insects)... 70% of its time during the night is taken up by foraging... take away this natural ressource... then yet again... watch him/her slowly perish...

For extra information and to be read (even though a Wiki source this is very true) :

While it appears that lorises might make very good pets as they seem harmless and cute by many people, they are wild animals and not suitable to be kept as recreational livestock. The fact remains that they are only harmless once their teeth have been removed as they are capable of inflicting a toxic bite. Tooth removal, while common, is sometimes crude, causing the slow, painful death of many animals. It should not be forgotten that lorises are wild animals, which can be obtained only in the grey market sector. They suffer a lot when taken away from their natural habitat and struggle to adapt to new homes. Many social activists are fighting to save lorises and to stop their illegal trading. Youtube viral videos showing activities of lorises as pets, which are considered cute and adorable, have been major setbacks for these social activists.

More here : en.wikipedia.org...

AND YES... the bite is toxic :

Like all slow lorises, N. kayan has a toxic bite—one of the few mammals that do, noted Munds, who worked with Susan Ford of Southern Illinois University in Carbondale and Anna Nekaris of Oxford Brookes University in the U.K.

To access its poison, a slow loris rubs its hands under glands near its armpits—"kind of like Molly [Shannon] from Saturday Night Live," Munds quipped. Then the animal applies the poison to its teeth, and the resulting bite can put a person or predator into potentially fatal anaphylactic shock.

More here : news.nationalgeographic.com...

Info here on the Slow Loris : pin.primate.wisc.edu...

The Loris is best in its natural habitat...

Point finale

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 29/4/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
While you see cute I see tasty
Also not fast so easy to catch.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   
They are not toxic enough

Lady Gaga Bitten by Endangered Slow Loris on Music Video Set

www.ecorazzi.com

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

AH, a voice of reason. I spent 20 years in the Veterinary field too, the Sugar Glider phase, was the worst. Little pouches so people could carry cuteness around all day to show off. There are plenty of things out there that are cute but they really don't belong in somebody's home as a showpiece simply for the cuteness.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
While you see cute I see tasty
Also not fast so easy to catch.

You are a primate BoyMonkey... I forbid you to have grilled Loris for breakfast...

Missed your humour mate, where have you been?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy
They are not toxic enough

Lady Gaga Bitten by Endangered Slow Loris on Music Video Set

www.ecorazzi.com

Normal... taking into account the amount of toxic products that Lady Gaga might already have in her system?... she is totally immune... probably?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: hoagy1199

AH, a voice of reason. I spent 20 years in the Veterinary field too, the Sugar Glider phase, was the worst. Little pouches so people could carry cuteness around all day to show off. There are plenty of things out there that are cute but they really don't belong in somebody's home as a showpiece simply for the cuteness.

A thousand stars to you mate...

Hoagy??? Sounds like a character from 2000 AD, Robo-Hunter featuring Sam Slade?

Funnily enough, before I chose the name of Rodinus (the name of my beloved and departed best canine friend last month), I was going to call my Avatar Strontium Dog... but decided against as too long :

The guy on the left next to Judge Dredd

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Hoagy was a Golden Retreiver in the novel Where is Joe Merchant by Jimmy Buffett. The name stuck because I was driving a Jeep at the time and had just gotten my 3rd Golden. Sadly he was only with me for 10 years before bone cancer set in. I know how you feel my friend.

OP, my apoligies for going off topic, I'll so PM's in the future.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join