It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Piano under my room

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I live in a three story wooden walk up building. I sublet a room from a buddy mostly for economic reasons. Life is good for the most part until.... Below the room I rent is a child with a full on piano and he practices 4 hours a day and all day Saturday. I've been downstairs and complained but was told to move if I didn't like it. I own an electronic drum kit, a baby grand piano and two guitars all of which I play using headphones. I asked the people below if they ever hear me play and the answer was no. They however are not interested in my problems. I asked if they could perhaps move the piano to the living room area which would muffle the sound for me...Not possible. The building manager says the kid can play until 8 pm (his rule) but basically there is nothing I can do about it. So, when the child played tonight, I started bouncing a basketball in the living room area...Got a call from the manager to cease and desist. Apparently there is nothing in the bylaws locally to protect me from the child playing piano directly under my space. So....I'm going to purchase some reference monitors for my electronic drums, move the kit to the living room and practice so they can hear it. It's tit for tat I guess but what the hell else can I do...Any ideas?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
set fire to the building and move to alaska?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: minkmouse

Start recording the kid playing piano. When he's famous, auction the recordings off for a fortune...

Sorry, tried to come up with something positive, as you aren't getting resolution from the adults in the building.

Des

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone

Start recording the kid playing piano. When he's famous, auction the recordings off for a fortune...

Sorry, tried to come up with something positive, as you aren't getting resolution from the adults in the building.

Des

See that's the thing...If I turn off all my white noise, the kid might as well be playing in my room. I could very easily record it but the child has no sense of timing, he'll never get famous, just the bomb at cocktail parties he attends with all his other dental hygienist friends.
edit on 28-4-2014 by minkmouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: okamitengu
set fire to the building and move to alaska?

Don't tempt me!

I just need some resolution here. I mean geez...I own an Onkyo driven home theater with 7 Klipsch speakers and a mean sub and on weekends I'll light it up and watch a Bond film or the latest action thriller but never when I assume your laying back and ready for kip. The entire system all the rest of the time is run at at he level of about two on a large boom box and the bass boost is OFF!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I think you're missing an opportunity here, man. Go down and jam with him. How old are we talking? Are the parents forcing piano on him? If you were a kid and an adult neighbor you had upstairs came to you and was like, "hey kid, you wanna jam?" You would eat it up! At least I know I would. If you can get some mutual respect out of it, maybe it would lessen your frustrations towards the kid? a reply to: minkmouse

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=17858204]minkmouse[/post

can you get some earplugs or noise reducing headphones??? acoustic panels,

here is a link for sound proofing your space home.howstuffworks.com...

this is probably little comfort,but, at least they are beneath you,sound from above you is the hardest to get rid of.

good luck, hope you solve this problem

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100
a reply to: [post=17858204]minkmouse[/post

can you get some earplugs or noise reducing headphones??? acoustic panels,

here is a link for sound proofing your space home.howstuffworks.com...

this is probably little comfort,but, at least they are beneath you,sound from above you is the hardest to get rid of.

good luck, hope you solve this problem

I have ear problems that won't allow me to wear headphones over a prolonged period of time, if I overextend that slot I get crazy itching, ear wax and fluid of some sort. Naturally I save the most time for playing my drum kit. Earplugs don't work because I should be allowed to hear my own stuff (right now it's Sirius Radio spa channel) And only I can hear it. Thanks for the linky though....Gonna check it out

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: denybedoomed
I think you're missing an opportunity here, man. Go down and jam with him. How old are we talking? Are the parents forcing piano on him? If you were a kid and an adult neighbor you had upstairs came to you and was like, "hey kid, you wanna jam?" You would eat it up! At least I know I would. If you can get some mutual respect out of it, maybe it would lessen your frustrations towards the kid? a reply to: minkmouse

Well....It's a novel idea. Age should not enter into it, so he's 12 and I'm 58, some adjustments needed for a compatible sync...But not out of the question. I don't believe it's a possibility in this situation but many thanks for forcing me to examine the concept
cos ya just never know

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Four hours is a bit excessive for practice every day if he's not a full time music student. I used to live under some real jerks in an apartment who would stomp and bang stuff around and play techno till 2 in the morning, I'd play my harp really loud early in the morning to get back at them, but it didn't phase them at all I don't think.

However, I would caution you against escalating the situation. Having neighbors that unintentionally annoy you with noise is a horrible thing, but when you annoy them back intentionally it just makes for a very uncomfortable living environment and have hostility between you and the people you live above will just make life worse.

But sure you should play your music loud enough for them to hear though, maybe they will sympathize, but more than likely it won't change anything unfortunately.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
There you go! You can teach him how to play GOOD music, because if you are over the age of fifty, you have a better taste in music than ANY 12 year old in the world. Turn him on to some real music, then you'll have free concerts of stuff you want to hear!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Alright, we got a harp player, a jack of all trades, and I can play a mean harmonica. Guys, did we just start a band?

a reply to: Drezden

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Sounds like that kid needs all the practice that he can get. This kid apparently is not musically inclined. I think the parents are promoting the playing of the piano. People can't understand that playing keys does not make a musician, it has to come from the heart.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Alright, we got a harp player, a jack of all trades, and I can play a mean harmonica. Guys, did we just start a band?

But...but...but...I play dulcimer, and can sit way in the back.....

Des

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Drezden
Four hours is a bit excessive for practice every day if he's not a full time music student. I used to live under some real jerks in an apartment who would stomp and bang stuff around and play techno till 2 in the morning, I'd play my harp really loud early in the morning to get back at them, but it didn't phase them at all I don't think.

However, I would caution you against escalating the situation. Having neighbors that unintentionally annoy you with noise is a horrible thing, but when you annoy them back intentionally it just makes for a very uncomfortable living environment and have hostility between you and the people you live above will just make life worse.

But sure you should play your music loud enough for them to hear though, maybe they will sympathize, but more than likely it won't change anything unfortunately.

Try living in a building where the endless parties above you bring buckets of women in high heels grazing on a hardwood floor!

I do sometimes find myself drowning the bugger out with sound but then my room mate can't hear his Netflix and bitches.
Escalating the situation is a bad idea I agree...I mean...That's how wars start!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Yep...We're rehearsing at my place and DO NOT forget the amps that go to 11!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Sounds like that kid needs all the practice that he can get. This kid apparently is not musically inclined. I think the parents are promoting the playing of the piano. People can't understand that playing keys does not make a musician, it has to come from the heart.

This comes from a place, I think anyway, where creation takes a back seat to mimicry. The child in the end will be a musician in the same order as a CD.

ETA: Creatively speaking

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Things i would consider doing -

Wait and speak to the kid directly, Even offer him money to only play couple times a week instead of every day.

Do tit for tat style, Buy some sub woofers, Face them downwards and blast away..This pisses people off real quick.

Break into there place a sabotage the piano...Just make sure u dont leave prints or get caught.

Consider packing the floor with sound muffling material...

As someone else mentioned, You have to be carful with what you do as it could escalate the situation quick.
However if the parents arent willing to understand your situation and how annoying it can be, Declare war on them and let the fun times begin...Or move out...
However this would piss me right off... I feel for you!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: minkmouse

Yep...We're rehearsing at my place and DO NOT forget the amps that go to 11!

I'm a drummer and my wife a vocalist (yup we're two people that hang out with musicians
). We travel with our own PA, and have a host of instruments to bring along (including a banjo). Can we come play?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyaussi

How about one of those little pin holes drilled in the floor through which a tiny thread acid can be directed to the piano!

I'm trying hard not to rock the boat here at least not to the point of eviction. Subs I have but they haven't changed the situation. I'm going to call the bylaw office and confirm his right to play under my ass. There must be somewhere in that argument where I can set up the drum kit in the living room (over his parents) with some reference speakers and practice, after all, if pianos are allowed in three story wooden walk ups it's only fair percussion should be represented

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join