It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comparing basic Food and Staple Prices from around the World (Part 2)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Stormcell Your post is very very informative, and Its nice of you to do the conversion of Kronars to dollars that was very helpful.

Your prices in Norway seem to be in line with ours in Canada but lets see what others have to say.
One thing we want no part of is shopping in Norway on New Years Eve !!!!!!!

Many thanks for taking the time to post.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
I still think it's hysterical Canada puts milk in bags.

OP I might get in on this tomorrow. Interesting.

Yes, the milk bags are strange to someone not from here. We can also get milk in waxed cartons, but the bags are the best deal. Lightweight and easy to stuff in the fridge....until...the inevitable happens and one springs a leak. It is always a good idea to store the milk at the bottom of the fridge for that very reason. What a mess, yuk. Also I tend to check the bottom corners of the outside bag to be sure there are no leaks before I get it home.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
The Bureau of Labor Statistics said increases in the shelter and food costs accounted for most of the rise. Consumers are especially feeling the hike at the grocery where beef is at a record high and milk and some vegetables are also climbing in price. Food Costs

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder I buy caviar on holidays, not every day, May 9, one of these days. chili I need it every day grew up in the pot zagruzitfoto.com... died after tap water p.s. red caviar salmon black it sturgeon
edit on 3/5/14 by mangust69 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngelaYoung
The Bureau of Labor Statistics said increases in the shelter and food costs accounted for most of the rise. Consumers are especially feeling the hike at the grocery where beef is at a record high and milk and some vegetables are also climbing in price. Food Costs

Hey Angela, very good link and I concur with you 100%
I love the fact that your link is dated to the same time as my first thread way back almost two years ago.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: mangust69
a reply to: Iwinder I buy caviar on holidays, not every day, May 9, one of these days. chili I need it every day grew up in the pot zagruzitfoto.com... died after tap water p.s. red caviar salmon black it sturgeon

Thanks for clearing up which eggs are which, Your chili plant looked good till you watered it. Here we have a 5 stage Reverse Osmosis water filter in our home for drinking and cooking.
No dead chilies here:-)

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Good morning from Hawaii!
I've enjoyed this thread as well as part 1, I love grocery shopping, comparing prices, meal planning and seeing the variety of what staples are to different people/areas. So thanks OP!
When I moved here 6 years ago I was absolutely shocked at the food prices, I knew it would be more expensive than the midwest (US), where I came from but WOW! $7 for a gallon of milk made me glad I'm allergic!
I will say that I've not seen a very noticeable rise in the foods I buy but I have noticed that the grocery prices in the midwest (where all my family is) have slowly been creeping up to meet Hawaii prices so that now they are almost the same.
I do my grocery shopping at a small, locally owned, family run store. Yes, I know I could get some items cheaper and a bigger selection at the big chain stores but I prefer to support local businesses.
Here's a sampling of our prices: and what are considered staples here

rice (brown) - $10/ 15lb bag milk - $4/half gallon,$7/gallon
eggs - $5/dozen (mainland eggs) $8/dz (local eggs) bread - $4.5/loaf (orowheat) $2.50/loaf (local bakery)
cheese - $5/ 1lb block $4/ 1lb (pre shred bag) sugar - $4/2lb bag (raw turbinado/local)
flour - $4/4lb (wheat) nori - (packaged seaweed) $2/ bag
carrots - $2/lb cabbage - $.69/lb tomatoes - $2/lb
potatoes - $3/5lb bag zucchini - $1.70/lb strawberries - $5.99/lb
hamburger - $4.99/lb chicken - $6.99/lb(boneless breast) $4.99/lb (thighs)
beef shortribs - $7.99/lb oxtail - $7.99/lb
spam - $2.99/can (they eat it daily here, breakfast, lunch and dinner, even sell it @ McDonalds lol)
local fruits you'd think would be cheaper:
pineapple - $5/ (small/ size of large grapefruit) papaya - $2 each (sure to be GMO)

Happy Shopping!

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Celestial1
Good morning from Hawaii!
I've enjoyed this thread as well as part 1, I love grocery shopping, comparing prices, meal planning and seeing the variety of what staples are to different people/areas. So thanks OP!
When I moved here 6 years ago I was absolutely shocked at the food prices, I knew it would be more expensive than the midwest (US), where I came from but WOW! $7 for a gallon of milk made me glad I'm allergic!
I will say that I've not seen a very noticeable rise in the foods I buy but I have noticed that the grocery prices in the midwest (where all my family is) have slowly been creeping up to meet Hawaii prices so that now they are almost the same.
I do my grocery shopping at a small, locally owned, family run store. Yes, I know I could get some items cheaper and a bigger selection at the big chain stores but I prefer to support local businesses.
Here's a sampling of our prices: and what are considered staples here

rice (brown) - $10/ 15lb bag milk - $4/half gallon,$7/gallon
eggs - $5/dozen (mainland eggs) $8/dz (local eggs) bread - $4.5/loaf (orowheat) $2.50/loaf (local bakery)
cheese - $5/ 1lb block $4/ 1lb (pre shred bag) sugar - $4/2lb bag (raw turbinado/local)
flour - $4/4lb (wheat) nori - (packaged seaweed) $2/ bag
carrots - $2/lb cabbage - $.69/lb tomatoes - $2/lb
potatoes - $3/5lb bag zucchini - $1.70/lb strawberries - $5.99/lb
hamburger - $4.99/lb chicken - $6.99/lb(boneless breast) $4.99/lb (thighs)
beef shortribs - $7.99/lb oxtail - $7.99/lb
spam - $2.99/can (they eat it daily here, breakfast, lunch and dinner, even sell it @ McDonalds lol)
local fruits you'd think would be cheaper:
pineapple - $5/ (small/ size of large grapefruit) papaya - $2 each (sure to be GMO)

Happy Shopping!

potatoes - $3/5lb

Good stuff and thanks for posting from a Paradise, plus we all get to learn something.
Your Potatoes seem to be the most expensive compared to what we pay and I was surprised by the cost of a Pineapple!.
Just goes to show you, that you cannot trust the tv for anything.
Glad you enjoyed the first thread and made the effort to post here on the second thread.
It all adds to the mix.

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 4-5-2014 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iwinder

originally posted by: Domo1
I still think it's hysterical Canada puts milk in bags.

OP I might get in on this tomorrow. Interesting.

I believe it is only Ontario that does the milk bag thing but someone correct me if needed.
Please do get in on this if you can, everyone that posts builds up the thread, plus its fun to read the costs from around the world in real time.

Hope to see you soon Dom.
Regards, Iwinder

some places in china sell beer in bags.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: candlestick
The smell ,the water and the sellers on there are impolite.

I buy almost all my food from park n shop web store,because they delivered to your door.

ok, fair enough about the wet market, i never had a problem but maybe because i am a gwailo.

i live in tung chung and have a taste and a wellcome in walking distance plus 2 wet marts. they also have alot of other shops in the wet marts besides raw foods. i go to the thai shop and get a big bunch of thai basil for $10hkd=$1.20us?
can't get it in the regular markets.
also lived in mei foo and soho. there was a crappy wellcome in central and another small one close to hollywood road.
i remember coming home one morning after a shoot, about 4-5am and seeing a couple pigs carcasses on the sidewalk infront of the butcher shop, cool.

but yeah, real estate is insane! my american friends and i talk about what we could buy back in the US for 1/2 the money we spent here!

we sold a brand new place we bought for the same amount of money we paid for it, never moved in, it was 3.4 mil hk.
very small too!

we pay $11,100hk a month =idk $1,200.00us? but we love it here. quiet and close to my wifes work. no traffic sounds like mei foo and soho. lol, or any other place in hk/kowloon.
commercial property is even worse.
we had 2 restos here, insane.

sorry people, i forgot to get the receipt from my wife when we went shopping last.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: tsingtao

$10HKD=$1.28USD

can't get it in the regular markets.

You can plant it yourself .I planting some herbs for myself.

we sold a brand new place we bought for the same amount of money we paid for it, never moved in, it was 3.4 mil hk. very small too!

Good ,the bubble will burst very soon.It's very nice the see bubble burst .

I dislike HK.Place too small ,and too noise ...
I live in New Territories though.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

One very important thing that I've learned is that if you have eggs and potatoes, you will never go hungry.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
have an opinion of your bourgeois dozen (12) pounds and inches invented by people with six fingers on his paws or which of the 12 tribes

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: dfens bull# you rub ignorance or on purpose? glue for the body number 1 raw egg 2 dairy produce except milk & dairy whey 3 cooked starch lead to asthma hypertension diabetes

edit on 5/5/14 by mangust69 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I went to the store today and spent $144.59 and there isn't a single thing I can post... I need to start cooking again.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: mangust69

Okay, you don't need to make such a harsh assertion.

Eggs are a protein power food that can be cooked in an amazing variety of ways. Potatoes have a bulk to them that is translated into calories, they can also be cooked in so many different ways that are pleasing to your taste buds.

What I'm also talking about, these are cheap staple ingredients. You can survive and be healthy. Cooking for one's self is not only rewarding, it's a healthier solution to getting the nutrition you need... Than say, buying processed, packaged mixes.

Not everyone can afford to juice, or even do it properly. Not to mention that it's expensive.

I also have, on good authority, a good idea what is causing diabetes. It's unchecked, processed sugar consumption. It doesn't help that people are not cooking for themselves and relying on pre-made, pre-packaged foodstuffs.

People do well when they cook for themselves. I don't claim that all your nutrition should come from only two ingredients, but, I'd take those two ingredients over mac n cheese every day. Believe it or not, calories and protein are very important to your diet. So is exercise.

Variety in your diet, and ingredients, are important. Whether or not it is affordable, that's a different story.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: tsingtao

some places in china sell beer in bags.

That would be a tough sell in Canada, I can see how others think milk in bags is weird because I can't see beer in bags!
Laughing here, I suppose it would be much easier to "sneak" a beer in a bag out of the fridge after the wife says I have had enough.

Regards,Iwinder

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join