It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A globemaster landing at Grissom AFB ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I was over in the Peru ,Indiana area yesterday 04/25/2014
and seen a c-17 landing at Grissom afb . I lived over near there for 20 some years.normally i would think anything about it but Grissom is now only a reserve unit.So why would they need to land a C-17 there,ill add a photo later

edit on 26-4-2014 by deadcatsrule because: added Indiana

edit on 26-4-2014 by deadcatsrule because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-4-2014 by deadcatsrule because: added photo

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: deadcatsrule

The USAF Reserves have C-17 pilots too. They have landed Grissom and many other bases 1000s of times.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: bkfd54

The USAF Reserves have C-17 pilots too. They have landed Grissom and many other bases 1000s of times.

Exactly. The Air Mobility Command, 4th Air Force has 7 reserve wings flying C-17s. In 1968 the Reserves took over all aircraft assigned to the Continental Air Command.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Over half the USAF mission is performed by Guard or Reserve troops. Just because it's a Reserve base doesn't mean nothing happens there.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I can see the Appalachian Trail from my front door. We get C-130's and occasionally C-17's and lately this last year, an increasing number of V-22 Osprey's flying in formation.

Most of the C-130's are from Hulburt special ops AFB, out of Florida. They fly real low at night definitely below the hard deck. A lot of training goes on over my rural mountain area.

We live in the middle of the gap, between 2 mountain peaks, on a smaller mountain. The C-130's fly lower than the peaks on either side.

For night flights they sometime fly blacked out. Shakes the house like crazy, but can only see the pale blue formation lights.

9 miles from my house is Frank D. Merril Mountain training camp.

OMG...I almost forgot my skyscum talk....

Des

edit on 26-4-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

Lucky! I'd love to watch the MC-130 guys in action. I've seen SOF pilots throwing a C-17 around low level up in Washington. It's nuts to see them just pop up out of nowhere.

I also got buzzed by an E/A-18 flying low level through the Gorge. That was fun.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I live close to and used to work at Rickenbacker (LCK) here in Ohio. They do touch and goes here with the C-17 all the time. Very common in this area and as far as I know LCK is an Air National Guard base. I've seen lots of cool things there when I worked for a mail sorting facility. Air Force One a few times, the Russian Antonov An-225, a few others. The Antonov was a sight to see. That thing is MASSIVE. I will have to dig up the pics I took from my PC at home.

The C-17 is much more common than you would think. HUGE, but common.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I live close to March Air Reserve Base. A C-17' squadron is based there, they're in and out all the time. Yes, Reserves and Guard do stuff too.

I loved ridin' in those babies in Iraq, hated C-130's.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I lived near there in the 70's and 80's
used to watch them touch and go almost 24 for hours a day, mostly kc135 's,just surprised to see something like a c-17 now so thanks on the info

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I think I might have seen that.....it was too far away to discern what type of aircraft it was, but I heard it.

It's fun here when they are doing training exercises, because they fly jets real low, because where I live is in the Grissom training area.

When we had our boat, we were stopped at a sand bar, two jets were flying not to far from tree top level, I put my hands over my ears, and curled up on the seat. I felt them pass, the sonic boom reverberated the whole boat, and my whole body.

Still neat.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: thepolish1

my photo was taken on 04/25/2014 at 6:43 pm at the overpass where US 24 goes under US 31 i was facing north east.just north of Grissom

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

After talking to my ol' man, we were in Logansport on Saturday about 2:30 at the HomeDepot, I saw something big flying, towards the direction of Tysons. It probably wasn't that plane. The only thing I could discern about it was the tail of the plane looked real big.

I saw some Ospreys doing manuvers over a place I worked. Now, it's a loud place, but they seemed quiet., here again, they were flying so close, I could wave to the pilots, and see them wave back.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: thepolish1

still may have been same plane if they were practicing landing and taking off..

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Oh tell me about it! Living/growing up here has some perks, I've been buzzed by F14's and E/A-6's in the mountains and B-52's flying nap of the Earth in E. WA.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Yes, but have you gotten to walk around an operational SR-71?

top topics

join