It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Escaping God

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Chapter 1 13 03 2016

"In Ancient Egypt, zoomorphism, or the presence of animal characteristics inside humanoid beings, was considered a mark of divinity. "
The female narration pauses. On the screen, pictures of Egyptian gods flashes by for all to see. The whole of the Alpha Star is silent while the DEH produced-presentation is playing on the screen.
"Take Horus, for instance - half a man, half a hawk. Osiris, Anubis, etc. This zoomorphism is present inside most of other religions, too. Catholicism and Islam have angels with birds wings. Hinduism has Ganesha, Garuda. The Ancients knew that a being with the qualities of two different species had an advantage over beings with the quality of only one specie. "
The crowd is still speechless. Ryan, silent figure with long blond hair, is scanning the reaction of the members.
"It is the Division for the Extinction of Humanity's mission to open the path of transhumanism. Its purpose is to:
-eliminate the threat which the human specie represents to Earth and to other worlds including ours, and
-eliminate the status of 'humans' for all member of the Alpha Star, so that these members may explore further natural implications, both on physical strength and on moral issues.
In other words, escape the God problem. "
To Ryan's surprise, the crowd applauses. Ryan glances at Horace McRae, director of the Alpha Star. The latter is smiling. The DEH's presentation continues.
"The God problem is the problematic assumption that humans must act within moral parameters. Escaping the God Problem means that all laws written for humans will no longer apply. Judiciary systems, written for humans, will no longer apply. The members of the Alpha Star will be able not only to differentiate themselves from the Homo Sapiens Sapiens specie, but also escape ALL laws written for the latter; and act with no restrictions from morality. "
The screen switches to show bacterias. The female voice explains:
"A new strain of bacteria was developed by the DEH to serve that purpose. The bacteria was originally of the Escherichia coli family, but has been modified past any known taxonomic status, thus it was named 'Chiron sagittarius'. Chiron Sagittarius incorporates viral features and has the ability to produce introns so to translate a target human cell into the desired cell. After several millions of tests performed on human embryos obtained from induced abortions, the DEH performed the first successful translation of a Homo Sapiens Sapiens embryo into a Pan Troglodytes embryo six months ago. One month ago, the DEH successfully translated an Homo Sapiens Spaiens embryo into a Rhyacotriton variegatus embryo. Which represents the ultimate step before testing on live people. "
Ryan knew that a Rhyacotriton variegatus was a specie of newt. Whoever could possess the regeneration abilities of a newt was sure to outlive any normal human.
"Testing on live people will be done through dispersion. Members of the Alpha Star will receive incorporation of 'noble' species, such as the newt for its regeneration power, the hawk for its vision power, etc. But before that we will test for the right method on Earthlings. The people on Earth will serve as testing stock for all less impressive species - to avoid the Earthlings from gaining the Alpha Star's powers - but with higher doses, so to evaluate the maximum rate at which we can assimilate the translation. Once the operation is done, the Earth will be populated by humans whose mutations makes them unable to breed with each other - no families will receive the same specie translation as the other, and reproduction is impossible between different species. Since the Alpha Star will have less different species translation, the mean reproduction compatibility between two given members will be higher than on Earth. Ultimately, the Alpha Star will outlive Earth's population. The DEH will have fulfilled all of its two missions. "
The screen closes off, and goes black. There is a massive round of applauses. A representative of the Division steps on the platform:
"Any questions? "
"Yeah, I got one", says Horace McRae. "How will we make sure that all families of Earth humans will receive different species translation? "
"This... ", answers the representative, "...will be done with the help of the DET. If the Division for the Extinction of Technology could persuade the Earth's population to move into individual farm lands, then it will be easier to track and influence individual families or group of people. Since farms are so large, people who inhabit the farm often buy their food from a local market. We will install this local market. All we have to do is make sure all farm lands have their own local market, so to prevent two different families from buying in the same market. The Division for the Extinction of Ideologies could also help by convincing furries communities to voluntarily take the bacteria. "
"In what will we put the bacteria? "
"We will put it in yogourts, creams, anything which can support it. We count on selling these products to the people by calling it 'organic', 'local' and by selling it at a lower price. With the recession, these will look like a blessing from heavens. "
Ryan is the first to understand the play of words: The Alpha is, after all, located in the heavens. He laughs, and then it's Horace's turn to get it. Pretty soon all of the Alpha chuckles, silently agrees on the DEH's plan, and shakes hands with a smile.

edit on 22-4-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Chapter 2 14 04 2018

Anita is at a local market, the only market near enough to her farm somewhere outside Joliette, Quebec. She is browsing the fruit section. Behind her her mother is ranting:
"This is ridiculous. Now they are telling us what to eat, what to think, what to hate... Why can't we just get to the supermarket and buy our food there? "
"Firstly: because the supermarket is 6 miles further, and my electric car is running out of battery. And secondly: Because GMO is bad. This market is just perfect - all organic, no corporation or federation hands here. Vegetables don't look like plastic, and meat is not full of antibiotics. "
"I've been eating this organic stuff for years now, I don't feel more healthy. If anything, I feel sicker than before. "
"That's just because your body is not adapted to natural food. You are going through a period of alimentary desintoxication. You should eat more neo-probiotic yogurt - it has a bacteria which facilitates digestion. "
"I do eat it. I doesn't change anything. Besides, my digestion was fine as it was before all that neo-probiotic stuff, thank you very much. "
"Neo-probiotic is not just for digestion. It also gives skin new DNA so it can repair itself. "
"Yeah, right. "
Anita tries to escape her mother by going to the dairy section. But her mother quickens her pace and tells her daughter:
"I read somewhere that cancer rates spiked with the introduction of all this "healthy" food. I'm telling you, the stuff they put in is worst than GMO. "
"Mom, they don't put anything in fruits. "
"Exactly! No antibiotics, nothing. Who says these apples you're holding are not full of unknown bacteria, or even stuff sprayed by a passing plane? "
Anita sighs. She puts a milk carton and yogourt in her basket.
"Organic food industries is growing faster and now makes 39% of all sales, yet cancer rate is growing proportionally. How do you explain that? "
"Mom, I don't know", says Anita as she pays and gets out of the market and steps unto the burning sun. "Prices are good, and it's not GMO. it's enough for me, as it should be for anybody. " Anita heads to her car. "Please don't follow me", she adds before closing her door and driving off.

Anita is driving on the bumpy road. She tries to shake off the argument, still fresh in her mind. Her mother must be getting senile, Anita concluded. The former was, after all, around 50 years old. Yeah, this was the explanation. Senility. Anita calms down and makes a right turn. She arrives at her home, where her two children are "waiting", that is, playing in the field's shades. Their nanny is smiling but is staying on the house's balcony, out of the sun. Anita doesn't blame her - it must be 40 C by now. She had to harvest but today is just too hot for that. Working for hours under that sun would just kill her. She plugs her electric car and calls her kids back into the house.

Chapter 3 15 04 2018

The following morning everyone sits around the table. Anita makes the breakfast for everyone and then sits at the table.
"Mom, I don't want to drink milk. "
"You have to, Nathan. It's good for you. Everyone will be drinking some, all right? "
"Okay. "
Anita is interrupted by a phone call.
"What? " she asks.
"It's the City hospital, ma'am. Your mother just passed. I'm sorry. "
"She what? "
"She passed, ma'am. "
"Where to? "
"God knows. She is no longer with us. I'm sorry. "
"She's dead?! Impossible", said Anita. "You must be mistaking. I just saw her yesterday. "
"She was found on the road. We took her in but she had no pulse. The cause of her death was caused by cancer - general cancer. "

"Subject 79647 was just found dead near Joliette", reports a technician at the DEH. "She was intended for Specie 15 Chiron Sagittarius strain, but she contacted the Specie 4 strain. The result was amorph flash neoplasm. "
Ryan makes sure his face doesn't show any of the emotions inside his mind. With a perfectly blank face he asks the DEH technician:
"Of course un-intended infection will result in cancer. What interests the Alpha Star is the results on INTENDED infections. How many intended infections until now? "
"76,003, sir. "
"And out of them, how many resulted in successful mutation? "
"None - they all resulted in short-lived teratogenic organisms. "
"In other words, monsters. "
"Yes sir - unwanted, short-lived monsters. But we learn from all our mistakes. Only a few thousands more tests and we should get it right. "
"And then the Alpha Star will be ready to incorporate any species? This is good news. Resume working. "

Anita cries in her bedroom. She wishes she could go back in time. If she didn't told her mother not to follow her, maybe her mother wouldn't have died alone on a stupid road, Anita thought. She just wants to go back in time and tell her mother how she loved her, she didn't mean to sound harsh... She locks her door and no one sees her for almost a day.

link   
Chapter 4 16 04 2018

Anita wakes up. She feels the sun burning her face through the window. She closes the window and gets up.
"What time is it? " she wondered out loud.
She checks her clock - it was morning. She could hear her children cry. She hurries out of her room and down the stairs.
"Boys? What's wrong? " she asks. "Don't be sad, I'm still ali... "
She sees her children. The feet of her younger child are all wrong. And her older child's face is swelling.
"What did you boys do? " she asks with anger.
"Nothing, we woke up and it was like that already", explains one of them.
"What?? "
Anita sits and takes a look at the feet of her younger child. The bones are out of their original position, as if they were re-designed by some mad scientist. The nails are growing into a chaotic bulk, and the big toe is almost under the foot. How could this happen?
"Nathan, does it hurt? "
Her child nods.
Anita turns to her older son. His face is all swelled up, as if he ate a pack of bees. He looks as if he is about to choke.
"We got to go to the hospital", decides Anita.
Anita carries her children in her arms and rushes through the house. She passes through the kitchen and absent-mindedly notice that the remains of their last breakfast was still there. Four dishes and four glasses, Anita's dish is still there, and Anita's glass of milk was in the process of turning into to cheese. Anita feels something's wrong with this picture. She dismisses the thought and focuses on her kids. She runs to her electric car. She puts her children in the car.
"What about the nanny? " asks Nathan.
"The nanny? Oh, she'll take care of the house while we're gone. "
Anita unplugs her car and they rush in the direction of civilization.

After 3 miles, her car shuts down.
"What the... " Anita pushes on the pedal. "Come on! " she yells.
She gets out of the car and pops the hood open. Nothing seems wrong, but then again, she isn't an expert on technology. She kicks her car with rage.
She returns inside her car. She pushes the pedal: still nothing.
"Stupid piece of China-made metal... "
She realized that she should call 911, but she doesn't have a cell phone, since she read that cell phone usage brings cancer. She has a phone for emergencies in her house, but that's three miles back. She could try and ask a passing car to help her out, but there's no car on this lonely road except hers, for no one live in this sector except her. There's woods on the side of the road. Anita runs through the woods, searching for a sign of human presence.
"Help! " she yells. "My kids are dying! "
She sees a house through the trees. She makes it there and knocks furiously on the door.
"Help! I need help! My car broke down and my kids are dying! "
The door is locked, there is no sign of life inside it. It looks like a hunter's house and Anita realizes that its owner could be gone hunting. Which means the owner could be anywhere in squared miles of woods. She has no choice - she breaks in and searches for a phone. There is none - apparently the owner of the house heard, too, about the danger of phones.
Anita returns to her car. When she gets there she sees her older son. His face is now purple and he's unconscious. But she doesn't see Nathan.
"Nathan? NATHAN!! " she yells.
She takes the unconscious kid and put him unto her shoulders. She sees Joliette's buildings, just a few miles East. She runs but keeps on calling for Nathan.
Suddenly a hunter comes out of the woods.
"What's that racket?! "
Anita stops and yells, panting:
"He's dying! I got to put him in a hospital, but he's dying! "
"I got a truck a hundred yards from here. "
"What about Nathan? "
"Who's he? "
"He's my son! He was in the car, but then he wasn't! He's nowhere to be seen! "
"Well, if he walks around, it means he's not dying, right? "
"But how can he walk? His feet were... oh, you're probably right. Quick, let's bring Mitchell to the hospital. "
They drive to Joliette's hospital, and Mitchell is put through emergency reanimation.
Anita waits outside with her new friend, Ivan.
It takes eternity before a doctor walks to Anita:
"I'm sorry, ma'am... he didn't make it. His whole trachea was swollen, and he had no pulse even as he came in. I'm deeply sorry, ma'am. "
Anita doesn't know how to react. All she feels is anger.
"Would it be possible to tell us how he got all swollen like that? " asks the doctor.
"How should I know? You're the doctor", replied Anita.
"Yes, but Mitchell's case is rather unusual. Anyway, I present to you my sincere condolences. "
"I don't want your condolences, I want my sons! "
Anita wants to punch the whole world. But she doesn't know that the true cause of the death of her son is not of this world.

link   
Chapter 5 19 04 2018

"We have achieved long-lived teratogenic organisms", reports the DEH to Ryan. "Montauk-class. "
"Didn't the people noticed these monsters running around? "
"Indeed they did, sir. But we posted a 'leak' which 'proved' that the organisms were from american secret projects. "
"Now these monsters live longer. "
"Yes sir. The last step is total conversion. These are not noticeable by the population, since the victim totally converts to another specie and thus is undistinguishable from this said specie. "
"So now the A. Star is ready to take the Chiron Sagittarius strain with safety. "
"Exactly. "
"Then why the testing about the total conversion? No A. Star member wants to totally convert into another specie - just integrate some qualities of this specie. "
"Right you are sir. But testing about total conversion will help the DEH to explore the limits of the process, and could help in the project of converting Earthlings populations into populations of more valuable species. "
Ryan tries to fight his anger.
"And... all of the people on Earth will undergo such operation? "
"No, we will only do it to those who wish for it. For instance, we will evaluate the desire of furry communities and simply grant them their wishes. There's millions of people down on Earth who would give anything just to convert from human to some other specie. Is it a crime if the victim wishes for the said crime? As for the rest of mankind, it'll stay human but we'll still incorporate some animal DNA to make sure earthlings don't reproduce and invade our space. If Earthling scientists discover that mankind's DNA has been tampered with, then we'll simply blame the furry community for creating and spreading the strain. "
"Perfect", says Ryan.
The DEH walks out of the door. Ryan hesitates, but makes a supreme effort to disguise his worried tone as a cold, matter-of-fact tone:
"What about this, er, Anita Rochers case? "
"The Anita Rochers case, sir? With all due respect, why do you ask? "
"I represent the A. Star, young man. I request the information, you're supposed to give it to me - not inquire as to the reason behind the question. "
"Right you are, sir. Sorry, sir. Please stand by as I access her files folder... "
The DEH navigates through his computer interface, which is located between the user's eyes. A few seconds later, the DEH finds the information.
"There we are. As of today, Anita Rochers failed in contacting the virus. But her two sons did. Her son Mitchell died three days ago from teratogenic malformation. Her other son was Nathan, and he was one of the first to successfully fully convert into another specie - which makes us confident that future total conversion on a more massive scale will be possible. "
"And... what happened to this Mitchell Rochers? "
"The totality of his genes were converted to those of a deer of the Odocoileus virginianus specie, and thus he was mistaken as one. He was fatally shot by a hunter named Ivan Garjajevovitch on the 18th, at 18h47. Since young Rochers was technically an animal, there was obviously no police investigation - the only way we know is because mister Garjajevovitch showed his 'trophy' on social media. The deer had a feet malformation, matching Mitchell Rochers's gene structure. "
Oh my god, thinks Ryan Dekker. He smiles at the DEH:
"Perfect. That is all. I need to make a call now, you are dismissed. Thank you. "
"You are welcome. "
Ryan waits for the DEH to disappear, and reaches for his phone. He sighs, and types the number of Anita Rochers.

Chapter 6 20 04 2018

Anita enters inside Ivan's rather cramped house.
"Hi", she simply says, with her eyes red from crying.
"Dear Anita! " welcomes Ivan with joy. "Have you found Mitchell yet? "
"No... My poor Mitchell is probably hungry, and freezing out there in the cold. It's still only a few degrees above zero Celsius outside. "
Ivan's expression turns to genuine concern:
"I just hope he's fine. I'm sure he found a warm place or something. I know we're not in a city, but we do have at least one house per a couple of miles around here. "
"Yeah... I guess so. "
Ivan leads Anita to the dining room, and make her sit in front of the crackling fireplace. He takes a cup and fills it with coffee before giving it to Anita.
"Oh, you didn't have to... "
"I insist", says Ivan.
"Thanks. "
"Any time. "
Anita takes the cup and hold it close against her. Then she starts sniffling, and Ivan sees she is crying. Embarrassed, he finds an excuse to hide himself into the kitchen - some two steps away.
"Erhm, So, I'm making supper - do you want some? "
"Supper? Oh, right... um, yeah, sounds great. "
"Right on it ma'am! "
Anita holds her cup but her grief prevents her from drinking it. How will she even live on? She spent more than a decade raising two brilliant children - HER children - just so that she'd end up burying them? How any more unfair could Fate get?
Very soon Ivan comes back into the small but cozy dining room. He puts two plates on the wooden table and sits in front of Anita. She doesn't react. Ivan puts a hand on her shoulder.
"Listen, you have to eat. Starving yourself won't help Mitchell get back. "
Anita looks up to her dish.
"You're probably right. "
She peers at the meal Ivan made for both of them. A bit of meat, with a salad full of colours.
"That's beautiful. Thanks. "
"you're welcome. "
"Hang on a sec. What meat is this? "
"It's deer. I'm a hunter, remember? I practically eat deer all week long. "
"I can't... I can't eat deer. "
"Why not? You're allergic? "
"No, it's just that I received this weird phone call from a man, and he told me to avoid eating deer. I know it sounds silly, but I kinda feel there was something true about his warning. "
"That's just weird. "
"I know. But I just feel there's something wrong. I know it's stupid... "
Ivan hesitates:
"No, not stupid at all. I trust your intuition. I kind of feel the same way. My guts tells me there's something terribly wrong too. "
"Where did you find this deer? Do you think it was poisoned? "
"No, I shot it myself - and it was healthy as a horse before that. I hung its head just right there, over the fireplace. "
"Hm. So, it looked all right? "
"Sure. Well, it did have weird hind feet - they were a bit asymmetric, but the rest was absolutely fine. "
"Its feet were malformed?! Ivan... "
Anita starts seeing dark veils.
"What? What is it? " asks Ivan with concern.
Anita looks at the decapitated deer head. She sees a lifeless deer head, but then there is something familiar about it. It is not the eyes, which are those of a common deer. It is not about the shape of the animal's facial features neither... yet it is strongly related to it. And then it hits her: it had eyebrow. No animals have eyebrows. The realization dawns upon her mind, and floods it with nightmarish horror.
"Ivan... " Anita says in a weak voice. "Ivan, Mitchell had malformed feet. "
"So?... "
"I know you didn't mean it, Ivan... but I think you just murdered my son. "
Anita feels the room spinning, and then she sees nothing but darkness.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
epilogue 23 04 2018

Ryan is in the laboratory as he hears Horace McRae's historical speech, transmitted live from the A. Star's Main pyramid:
"On this date, we become super-beings, with the capacity of manipulating life itself. We will stop following a ridiculous God, and we will show how to escape his prison to those millions who still dwell in its bars. We will escape all laws ever written for humans. For today, my friends, we shed humanity behind us. "
It's Ryan's turn. Ryan enters into the room filled with seringues.
"As an imposed measure, but also as a celebration of our new power, every members of the Alpha Star is required to add to his/her genes a modification today. And tomorrow they will wake up not as humans, but as members of an even more advanced specie. Regenerative genes from newts was included in all seringues so that we can live forever. The choice about which defining gene you want to integrate is entirely yours. We will then inspect every members so to make sure they took a strain... "
Ryan closes the radio so that he may enjoy his last hours of humanity. He browses the wide - and wild - multitude of genetic modifiers. All from the genepool of remorseless natural predators - Including the genetic modifier for remorseless-ness itself. The A. Star is so obsessed with might - at a point where it disgusts Ryan. But Ryan has no choice - he has to choose a gene modifier. He continues browsing when suddenly he finds a rather unusual modifiers. He takes it. Equus Caballus. Finally, something original. Anything is better than the rest of the room. He inserts the strain in the seringue. He shakes a bit because of the enormity of what he is about to do. He sighs, calms himself down, and proceed to the injection.
In a matter of minutes, he feels as if he could run around the World without ever losing his breath. But as a side effect, his hair loses all its shades of gold, to become as platinum. From now on, Ryan is, by genetic definition, human no more. It will be his talent and his curse for the remaining of his life.

When the day dawned, there were a handful of men and women in the heavens, and this day was the day they became truly alien to the Earth below.
This was the day they abandoned humanity, the day death fled from them, the day they excluded themselves from all laws and morality.
This was the day they escaped God.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
What inspired you to choose Joliette Quebec?

Nice to read by the way. I like it.

This story sounds like what will be happening here on earth in the near future, some form of it. I think we are being conditioned to accept it through movies such as X-men, vampire movies or any movie that promotes us "evolving".

These new morals once introduced will be very hard to take back, unless...Divine intervention is what we are trying to prove. Again.
edit on 22-4-2014 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne
Impressive, swanne
Had me all the way.
Thanks for the read/entertainment (that is all it was... right?).

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Excellent story, Swanne, I am impressed. lets hope it will remain just a story for a while to come, though I fear it is not as far off as I would hope.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   

I dont know if it would be too cliche or obvious... But I thought it may be cool to tie the end into a garden of eden vibe, where as some of the last things the 'human like' beings tell each other, is to not be tempted by 'knowledge of good and evil' and all that jazz...to maybe insinuate this cycle of endless seeking ignorance and seeking knowledge, unless without this, that is what your story does. Great story none the less, enjoyed the read!

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Oops, I just noticed there are critical typos in the OP version. On chapter 6 and in the end of chapter 5, the name of the boy is supposed to be Nathan, not Mitchell. Plus, less important but still bugging me, in Chapter 1 I forgot to put the first letter of second scientific names in capital; and I misspelled "yogurt".

Okay, let me rectify it.

All right, there we go. All solved. Now this is the true Escaping God story:

edit on 23-4-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Chapter 1 13 03 2016

"In Ancient Egypt, zoomorphism, or the presence of animal characteristics inside humanoid beings, was considered a mark of divinity. "
The female narration pauses. On the screen, pictures of Egyptian gods flashes by for all to see. The whole of the Alpha Star is silent while the DEH produced-presentation is playing on the screen.
"Take Horus, for instance - half a man, half a hawk. Osiris, Anubis, etc. This zoomorphism is present inside most of other religions, too. Catholicism and Islam have angels with birds wings. Hinduism has Ganesha, Garuda. The Ancients knew that a being with the qualities of two different species had an advantage over beings with the quality of only one specie. "
The crowd is still speechless. Ryan, silent figure with long blond hair, is scanning the reaction of the members.
"It is the Division for the Extinction of Humanity's mission to open the path of transhumanism. Its purpose is to:
-eliminate the threat which the human specie represents to Earth and to other worlds including ours, and
-eliminate the status of 'humans' for all member of the Alpha Star, so that these members may explore further natural implications, both on physical strength and on moral issues.
In other words, escape the God problem. "
To Ryan's surprise, the crowd applauses. Ryan glances at Horace McRae, director of the Alpha Star. The latter is smiling. The DEH's presentation continues.
"The God problem is the problematic assumption that humans must act within moral parameters. Escaping the God Problem means that all laws written for humans will no longer apply. Judiciary systems, written for humans, will no longer apply. The members of the Alpha Star will be able not only to differentiate themselves from the Homo Sapiens Sapiens specie, but also escape ALL laws written for the latter; and act with no restrictions from morality. "
The screen switches to show bacterias. The female voice explains:
"A new strain of bacteria was developed by the DEH to serve that purpose. The bacteria was originally of the Escherichia coli family, but has been modified past any known taxonomic status, thus it was named 'Chiron Sagittarius'. Chiron Sagittarius incorporates viral features and has the ability to produce introns so to translate a target human cell into the desired cell. After several millions of tests performed on human embryos obtained from induced abortions, the DEH performed the first successful translation of a Homo Sapiens Sapiens embryo into a Pan Troglodytes embryo six months ago. One month ago, the DEH successfully translated an Homo Sapiens Spaiens embryo into a Rhyacotriton Variegatus embryo. Which represents the ultimate step before testing on live people. "
Ryan knew that a Rhyacotriton Variegatus was a specie of newt. Whoever could possess the regeneration abilities of a newt was sure to outlive any normal human.
"Testing on live people will be done through dispersion. Members of the Alpha Star will receive incorporation of 'noble' species, such as the newt for its regeneration power, the hawk for its vision power, etc. But before that we will test for the right method on Earthlings. The people on Earth will serve as testing stock for all less impressive species - to avoid the Earthlings from gaining the Alpha Star's powers - but with higher doses, so to evaluate the maximum rate at which we can assimilate the translation. Once the operation is done, the Earth will be populated by humans whose mutations makes them unable to breed with each other - no families will receive the same specie translation as the other, and reproduction is impossible between different species. Since the Alpha Star will have less different species translation, the mean reproduction compatibility between two given members will be higher than on Earth. Ultimately, the Alpha Star will outlive Earth's population. The DEH will have fulfilled all of its two missions. "
The screen closes off, and goes black. There is a massive round of applauses. A representative of the Division steps on the platform:
"Any questions? "
"Yeah, I got one", says Horace McRae. "How will we make sure that all families of Earth humans will receive different species translation? "
"This... ", answers the representative, "...will be done with the help of the DET. If the Division for the Extinction of Technology could persuade the Earth's population to move into individual farm lands, then it will be easier to track and influence individual families or group of people. Since farms are so large, people who inhabit the farm often buy their food from a local market. We will install this local market. All we have to do is make sure all farm lands have their own local market, so to prevent two different families from buying in the same market. The Division for the Extinction of Ideologies could also help by convincing furries communities to voluntarily take the bacteria. "
"In what will we put the bacteria? "
"We will put it in yogurts, creams, anything which can support it. We count on selling these products to the people by calling it 'organic', 'local' and by selling it at a lower price. With the recession, these will look like a blessing from heavens. "
Ryan is the first to understand the play of words: The Alpha is, after all, located in the heavens. He laughs, and then it's Horace's turn to get it. Pretty soon all of the Alpha chuckles, silently agrees on the DEH's plan, and shakes hands with a smile.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Chapter 2 14 04 2018

Anita is at a local market, the only market near enough to her farm somewhere outside Joliette, Quebec. She is browsing the fruit section. Behind her her mother is ranting:
"This is ridiculous. Now they are telling us what to eat, what to think, what to hate... Why can't we just get to the supermarket and buy our food there? "
"Firstly: because the supermarket is 6 miles further, and my electric car is running out of battery. And secondly: Because GMO is bad. This market is just perfect - all organic, no corporation or federation hands here. Vegetables don't look like plastic, and meat is not full of antibiotics. "
"I've been eating this organic stuff for years now, I don't feel more healthy. If anything, I feel sicker than before. "
"That's just because your body is not adapted to natural food. You are going through a period of alimentary desintoxication. You should eat more neo-probiotic yogurt - it has a bacteria which facilitates digestion. "
"I do eat it. I doesn't change anything. Besides, my digestion was fine as it was before all that neo-probiotic stuff, thank you very much. "
"Neo-probiotic is not just for digestion. It also gives skin new DNA so it can repair itself. "
"Yeah, right. "
Anita tries to escape her mother by going to the dairy section. But her mother quickens her pace and tells her daughter:
"I read somewhere that cancer rates spiked with the introduction of all this "healthy" food. I'm telling you, the stuff they put in is worst than GMO. "
"Mom, they don't put anything in fruits. "
"Exactly! No antibiotics, nothing. Who says these apples you're holding are not full of unknown bacteria, or even stuff sprayed by a passing plane? "
Anita sighs. She puts a milk carton and yogourt in her basket.
"Organic food industries is growing faster and now makes 39% of all sales, yet cancer rate is growing proportionally. How do you explain that? "
"Mom, I don't know", says Anita as she pays and gets out of the market and steps unto the burning sun. "Prices are good, and it's not GMO. it's enough for me, as it should be for anybody. " Anita heads to her car. "Please don't follow me", she adds before closing her door and driving off.

Anita is driving on the bumpy road. She tries to shake off the argument, still fresh in her mind. Her mother must be getting senile, Anita concluded. The former was, after all, around 50 years old. Yeah, this was the explanation. Senility. Anita calms down and makes a right turn. She arrives at her home, where her two children are "waiting", that is, playing in the field's shades. Their nanny is smiling but is staying on the house's balcony, out of the sun. Anita doesn't blame her - it must be 40 C by now. She had to harvest but today is just too hot for that. Working for hours under that sun would just kill her. She plugs her electric car and calls her kids back into the house.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Chapter 3 15 04 2018

The following morning everyone sits around the table. Anita makes the breakfast for everyone and then sits at the table.
"Mom, I don't want to drink milk. "
"You have to, Nathan. It's good for you. Everyone will be drinking some, all right? "
"Okay. "
Anita is interrupted by a phone call.
"What? " she asks.
"It's the City hospital, ma'am. Your mother just passed. I'm sorry. "
"She what? "
"She passed, ma'am. "
"Where to? "
"God knows. She is no longer with us. I'm sorry. "
"She's dead?! Impossible", said Anita. "You must be mistaking. I just saw her yesterday. "
"She was found on the road. We took her in but she had no pulse. The cause of her death was caused by cancer - general cancer. "

"Subject 79647 was just found dead near Joliette", reports a technician at the DEH. "She was intended for Specie 15 Chiron Sagittarius strain, but she contacted the Specie 4 strain. The result was amorph flash neoplasm. "
Ryan makes sure his face doesn't show any of the emotions inside his mind. With a perfectly blank face he asks the DEH technician:
"Of course un-intended infection will result in cancer. What interests the Alpha Star is the results on INTENDED infections. How many intended infections until now? "
"76,003, sir. "
"And out of them, how many resulted in successful mutation? "
"None - they all resulted in short-lived teratogenic organisms. "
"In other words, monsters. "
"Yes sir - unwanted, short-lived monsters. But we learn from all our mistakes. Only a few thousands more tests and we should get it right. "
"And then the Alpha Star will be ready to incorporate any species? This is good news. Resume working. "

Anita cries in her bedroom. She wishes she could go back in time. If she didn't told her mother not to follow her, maybe her mother wouldn't have died alone on a stupid road, Anita thought. She just wants to go back in time and tell her mother how she loved her, she didn't mean to sound harsh... She locks her door and no one sees her for almost a day.

link   
Chapter 4 16 04 2018

Anita wakes up. She feels the sun burning her face through the window . She closes the window and gets up.
"What time is it? " she wondered out loud.
She checks her clock - it was morning. She could hear her children cry. She hurries out of her room and down the stairs.
"Boys? What's wrong? " she asks. "Don't be sad, I'm still ali... "
She sees her children. The feet of her younger child are all wrong. And her older child's face is swelling.
"What did you boys do? " she asks with anger.
"Nothing, we woke up and it was like that already", explains one of them.
"What?? "
Anita sits and takes a look at the feet of her younger child. The bones are out of their original position, as if they were re-designed by some mad scientist. The nails are growing into a chaotic bulk, and the big toe is almost under the foot. How could this happen?
"Nathan, does it hurt? "
Her child nods.
Anita turns to her older son. His face is all swelled up, as if he ate a pack of bees. He looks as if he is about to choke.
"We got to go to the hospital", decides Anita.
Anita carries her children in her arms and rushes through the house. She passes through the kitchen and absent-mindedly notice that the remains of their last breakfast was still there. Four dishes and four glasses, Anita's dish is still there, and Anita's glass of milk was in the process of turning into to cheese. Anita feels something's wrong with this picture. She dismisses the thought and focuses on her kids. She runs to her electric car. She puts her children in the car.
"What about the nanny? " asks Nathan.
"The nanny? Oh, she'll take care of the house while we're gone. "
Anita unplugs her car and they rush in the direction of civilization.

After 3 miles, her car shuts down.
"What the... " Anita pushes on the pedal. "Come on! " she yells.
She gets out of the car and pops the hood open. Nothing seems wrong, but then again, she isn't an expert on technology. She kicks her car with rage.
She returns inside her car. She pushes the pedal: still nothing.
"Stupid piece of China-made metal... "
She realized that she should call 911, but she doesn't have a cell phone, since she read that cell phone usage brings cancer. She has a phone for emergencies in her house, but that's three miles back. She could try and ask a passing car to help her out, but there's no car on this lonely road except hers, for no one live in this sector except her. There's woods on the side of the road. Anita runs through the woods, searching for a sign of human presence.
"Help! " she yells. "My kids are dying! "
She sees a house through the trees. She makes it there and knocks furiously on the door.
"Help! I need help! My car broke down and my kids are dying! "
The door is locked, there is no sign of life inside it. It looks like a hunter's house and Anita realizes that its owner could be gone hunting. Which means the owner could be anywhere in squared miles of woods. She has no choice - she breaks in and searches for a phone. There is none - apparently the owner of the house heard, too, about the danger of phones.
Anita returns to her car. When she gets there she sees her older son. His face is now purple and he's unconscious. But she doesn't see Nathan.
"Nathan? NATHAN!! " she yells.
She takes the unconscious kid and put him unto her shoulders. She sees Joliette's buildings, just a few miles East. She runs but keeps on calling for Nathan.
Suddenly a hunter comes out of the woods.
"What's that racket?! "
Anita stops and yells, panting:
"He's dying! I got to put him in a hospital, but he's dying! "
"I got a truck a hundred yards from here. "
"What about Nathan? "
"Who's he? "
"He's my son! He was in the car, but then he wasn't! He's nowhere to be seen! "
"Well, if he walks around, it means he's not dying, right? "
"But how can he walk? His feet were... oh, you're probably right. Quick, let's bring Mitchell to the hospital. "
They drive to Joliette's hospital, and Mitchell is put through emergency reanimation.
Anita waits outside with her new friend, Ivan.
It takes eternity before a doctor walks to Anita:
"I'm sorry, ma'am... he didn't make it. His whole trachea was swollen, and he had no pulse even as he came in. I'm deeply sorry, ma'am. "
Anita doesn't know how to react. All she feels is anger.
"Would it be possible to tell us how he got all swollen like that? " asks the doctor.
"How should I know? You're the doctor", replies Anita.
"Yes, but Mitchell's case is rather unusual. Anyway, I present to you my sincere condolences. "
"I don't want your condolences, I want my sons! "
Anita wants to punch the whole world. But she doesn't know that the true cause of the death of her son is not of this world.

edit on 23-4-2014 by swanne because: The ATS 'window' glitch

link   
Chapter 5 19 04 2018

"We have achieved long-lived teratogenic organisms", reports the DEH to Ryan. "Montauk-class. "
"Didn't the people noticed these monsters running around? "
"Indeed they did, sir. But we posted a 'leak' which 'proved' that the organisms were from american secret projects. "
"Now these monsters live longer. "
"Yes sir. The last step is total conversion. These are not noticeable by the population, since the victim totally converts to another specie and thus is undistinguishable from this said specie. "
"So now the A. Star is ready to take the Chiron Sagittarius strain with safety. "
"Exactly. "
"Then why the testing about the total conversion? No A. Star member wants to totally convert into another specie - just integrate some qualities of this specie. "
"Right you are sir. But testing about total conversion will help the DEH to explore the limits of the process, and could help in the project of converting Earthlings populations into populations of more valuable species. "
Ryan tries to fight his anger.
"And... all of the people on Earth will undergo such operation? "
"No, we will only do it to those who wish for it. For instance, we will evaluate the desire of furry communities and simply grant them their wishes. There's millions of people down on Earth who would give anything just to convert from human to some other specie. Is it a crime if the victim wishes for the said crime? As for the rest of mankind, it'll stay human but we'll still incorporate some animal DNA to make sure earthlings don't reproduce and invade our space. If Earthling scientists discover that mankind's DNA has been tampered with, then we'll simply blame the furry community for creating and spreading the strain. "
"Perfect", says Ryan.
The DEH walks out of the door. Ryan hesitates, but makes a supreme effort to disguise his worried tone as a cold, matter-of-fact tone:
"What about this, er, Anita Rochers case? "
"The Anita Rochers case, sir? With all due respect, why do you ask? "
"I represent the A. Star, young man. I request the information, you're supposed to give it to me - not inquire as to the reason behind the question. "
"Right you are, sir. Sorry, sir. Please stand by as I access her files folder... "
The DEH navigates through his computer interface, which is located between the user's eyes. A few seconds later, the DEH finds the information.
"There we are. As of today, Anita Rochers failed in contacting the virus. But her two sons did. Her son Mitchell died three days ago from teratogenic malformation. Her other son was Nathan, and he was one of the first to successfully fully convert into another specie - which makes us confident that future total conversion on a more massive scale will be possible. "
"And... what happened to this Nathan Rochers? "
"The totality of his genes were converted to those of a deer of the Odocoileus virginianus specie, and thus he was mistaken as one. He was fatally shot by a hunter named Ivan Garjajevovitch on the 18th, at 18h47. Since young Rochers was technically an animal, there was obviously no police investigation - the only way we know is because mister Garjajevovitch showed his 'trophy' on social media. The deer had a feet malformation, matching Nathan Rochers's gene structure. "
Oh my god, thinks Ryan Dekker. He smiles at the DEH:
"Perfect. That is all. I need to make a call now, you are dismissed. Thank you. "
"You are welcome. "
Ryan waits for the DEH to disappear, and reaches for his phone. He sighs, and types the number of Anita Rochers.

link   
Chapter 6 20 04 2018

Anita enters inside Ivan's rather cramped house.
"Hi", she simply says, with her eyes red from crying.
"Dear Anita! " welcomes Ivan with joy. "Have you found Nathan yet? "
"No... My poor Nathan is probably hungry, and freezing out there in the cold. It's still only a few degrees above zero Celsius outside. "
Ivan's expression turns to genuine concern:
"I just hope he's fine. I'm sure he found a warm place or something. I know we're not in a city, but we do have at least one house per a couple of miles around here. "
"Yeah... I guess so. "
Ivan leads Anita to the dining room, and make her sit in front of the crackling fireplace. He takes a cup and fills it with coffee before giving it to Anita.
"Oh, you didn't have to... "
"I insist", says Ivan.
"Thanks. "
"Any time. "
Anita takes the cup and hold it close against her. Then she starts sniffling, and Ivan sees she is crying. Embarrassed, he finds an excuse to hide himself into the kitchen - some two steps away.
"Erhm, So, I'm making supper - do you want some? "
"Supper? Oh, right... um, yeah, sounds great. "
"Right on it ma'am! "
Anita holds her cup but her grief prevents her from drinking it. How will she even live on? She spent more than a decade raising two brilliant children - HER children - just so that she'd end up burying them? How any more unfair could Fate get?
Very soon Ivan comes back into the small but cozy dining room. He puts two plates on the wooden table and sits in front of Anita. She doesn't react. Ivan puts a hand on her shoulder.
"Listen, you have to eat. Starving yourself won't help Nathan get back. "
Anita looks up to her dish.
"You're probably right. "
She peers at the meal Ivan made for both of them. A bit of meat, with a salad full of colours.
"That's beautiful. Thanks. "
"you're welcome. "
"Hang on a sec. What meat is this? "
"It's deer. I'm a hunter, remember? I practically eat deer all week long. "
"I can't... I can't eat deer. "
"Why not? You're allergic? "
"No, it's just that I received this weird phone call from a man, and he told me to avoid eating deer. I know it sounds silly, but I kinda feel there was something true about his warning. "
"That's just weird. "
"I know. But I just feel there's something wrong. I know it's stupid... "
Ivan hesitates:
"No, not stupid at all. I trust your intuition. I kind of feel the same way. My guts tells me there's something terribly wrong too. "
"Where did you find this deer? Do you think it was poisoned? "
"No, I shot it myself - and it was healthy as a horse before that. I hung its head just right there, over the fireplace. "
"Hm. So, it looked all right? "
"Sure. Well, it did have weird hind feet - they were a bit asymmetric, but the rest was absolutely fine. "
"Its feet were malformed?! Ivan... "
Anita starts seeing dark veils.
"What? What is it? " asks Ivan with concern.
Anita looks at the decapitated deer head. She sees a lifeless deer head, but then there is something familiar about it. It is not the eyes, which are those of a common deer. It is not about the shape of the animal's facial features neither... yet it is strongly related to it. And then it hits her: it had eyebrow. No animals have eyebrows. The realization dawns upon her mind, and floods it with nightmarish horror.
"Ivan... " Anita says in a weak voice. "Ivan, Nathan had malformed feet. "
"So?... "
"I know you didn't mean it, Ivan... but I think you just murdered my son. "
Anita feels the room spinning, and then she sees nothing but darkness.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Epilogue 23 04 2018

Ryan is in the laboratory as he hears Horace McRae's historical speech, transmitted live from the A. Star's Main pyramid:
"On this date, we become super-beings, with the capacity of manipulating life itself. We will stop following a ridiculous God, and we will show how to escape his prison to those millions who still dwell in its bars. We will escape all laws ever written for humans. For today, my friends, we shed humanity behind us. "
It's Ryan's turn. Ryan enters into the room filled with seringues.
"As an imposed measure, but also as a celebration of our new power, every members of the Alpha Star is required to add to his/her genes a modification today. And tomorrow they will wake up not as humans, but as members of an even more advanced specie. Regenerative genes from newts was included in all seringues so that we can live forever. The choice about which defining gene you want to integrate is entirely yours. We will then inspect every members so to make sure they took a strain... "
Ryan closes the radio so that he may enjoy his last hours of humanity. He browses the wide - and wild - multitude of genetic modifiers. All from the genepool of remorseless natural predators - Including the genetic modifier for remorseless-ness itself. The A. Star is so obsessed with might - at a point where it disgusts Ryan. But Ryan has no choice - he has to choose a gene modifier. He continues browsing when suddenly he finds a rather unusual modifiers. He takes it. Equus Caballus. Finally, something original. Anything is better than the rest of the room. He inserts the strain in the seringue. He shakes a bit because of the enormity of what he is about to do. He sighs, calms himself down, and proceed to the injection.
In a matter of minutes, he feels as if he could run around the World without ever losing his breath. But as a side effect, his hair loses all its shades of gold, to become as platinum. From now on, Ryan is, by genetic definition, human no more. It will be his talent and his curse for the remaining of his life.

When the day dawned, there were a handful of men and women in the heavens, and this day was the day they became truly alien to the Earth below.
This was the day they abandoned humanity, the day death fled from them, the day they excluded themselves from all laws and morality.
This was the day they escaped God.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: bitsforbytes
What inspired you to choose Joliette Quebec?

Well, it's a pretty beautiful city in Quebec, and, between you and me, Montreal is a bit has-been...

This story sounds like what will be happening here on earth in the near future, some form of it. I think we are being conditioned to accept it through movies such as X-men, vampire movies or any movie that promotes us "evolving".

With all these gene-interfering therapies and genetic code discoveries, I can't help but consider that in a theoretical, far future, some people might be tempted to use these as tools for rather more selfish purposes.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: WanDash
Impressive, swanne
Had me all the way.
Thanks for the read/entertainment (that is all it was... right?).

Hehe, and thanks for reading mate! As a french quebecois my english is far from perfect. But I did try emulating the modern, colourful writing style - something which I haven't done before. I'm glad it worked!

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior
Excellent story, Swanne, I am impressed. lets hope it will remain just a story for a while to come, though I fear it is not as far off as I would hope.

My thoughts exactly.

Thanks for reading!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join