It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another sordid tale of cops gone wild ? It would seem so...!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
This is one memory I bet the wedding party would rather not have in their scape book ! The incident happened on October 5th, 2008, but is still being worked through the court system. A speedy trial and justice served, not.

An event that should have been happy and memorable turned into violence and chaos when the Galveston Police got involved. A couple had just exchanged their vows and were celebrating with friends and family at the San Luis Hotel.

Everything was fine until an off-duty police officer thought that he had witnessed the bride’s brother, Daniel “Cole” O’Balle, 19, walking outside with an alcoholic beverage in his hand. Suspecting an under-aged adult had consumed a beverage without government permission, and violated the “open container” prohibition law, he phoned the police department for backup.
Police officers arrived to confront Mr. O’Balle. Joe and Shannon Belluomini, guests of the wedding party, witnessed the altercation and said that O’Balle was complying with security. Nonetheless, “out of nowhere, mayhem started,” explained Joe Belluomini to KTRK.

When the Belluominis tried to defuse the situation, they became targets themselves. Shannon Belluomini explained to KTRK that her husband was grabbed by the throat as Mr. O’Balle was assaulted. “The officer that had a baton in his hand started beating Cole with it. And then there just seemed like there were more and more officers.”

So the brother gets beat in the head and is still not fully recovered. The father is tazed for asking what is going on and a pro ball player was hurt so bad his career was ended that night.

Brandon Backe, a pitcher for the Houston Astros, was in attendance to the wedding since he was a childhood friend of the groom. As a pro-baseball player he had appeared in the World Series in 2005. The injuries he endured during the commotion would ultimately lead to surgeries, permanent pain, and a ruined career.

“I heard a frantic voice saying, ‘They got Cole.’ I could tell by the tone of the voice that something wasn’t right,” explained Backe in court.
But Backe said there was no more room to back up. “Chill out, we can’t back up. You’ve got enough room,” Backe replied. He says at that point several officers attacked him. He says he was struck until he fell to the ground and received a beating until his face was bloody. He said one officer kicked him in the face, breaking his nose.

Backe said that officers slammed his body into a concrete curb and then piled on top of him, beating him continuously. His shoulder took a hard blow from the concrete. “I hit the ground hard and they just got on top of me,” he said.

Kinda reminds one of a shark feeding frenzy.. All in all 34 officers were involved.

For all the brutality and wanton attacks committed that night, no officers were fired. As far as the chief was concerned, every instance of force was justified. The only complaints that Galveston Police supervisors had was that the incident wasn’t documented properly. According to the Houston Chronicle:

An internal police investigation completed in March 2009 found that officers followed department policy in making arrests and applying force but that 13 officers failed to properly document the incident. Nine officers were suspended without pay, and four were issued written reprimands.

No “use of force” forms were filed at all, despite a gaping head wound, hair pulled out, a broken nose, pepper spray on numerous individuals, and obvious signs of bruising and beating on the arrested wedding guests.

While these omissions were themselves upsetting, many were shocked by the lack of acknowledgement of the brutality, and the lack of discipline following it.

“Split a skull open — bleeding on the brain — and its a paperwork violation?!” remarked Gil O’Balle.

www.policestateusa.com...
Welcome to Galveston Texas M.F. (my friend)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I am not surprised, this is why I backed out last minute from being a cop. Most of those I hung out with at barbeques were bigger #@$!@'s than the people that they preyed upon.

This pattern has been happening for a long time, just the reporting and access to cameras is bringing it to light.

The BLUE LINE needs abolished. along with cops FRATERNIZING with the other rungs of the ladder. Unfortunately, there is no justice when the cops, DA's, Magistrates, and Judges are all "on the same side".

If I had lowered my standards of HONOR, INTEGRITY, and DEVOTION to DUTY (duty being the Bill of Rights) and accepted the offer to be a cop, I would have headed straight for Internal Affairs. There needs to be fanatic LOVERS of BLIND JUSTICE acting as OVERLORDS to the Police.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky What annoys me with this (as well as the over the top response and violence) is the off duty officer. Why did he feel the need to get involved at all? So what if the 19 year old was consuming a beverage without government permission. It's not as if he was committing a serious crime that warranted the intervention of an off duty officer. That jobsworth needs to get a life and chill out a bit.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
The police report is much different as far as how it started. The altercation started with a security guard hired by the wedding party tried to stop someone who was visibility intoxicated from leaving with a drink-which he was specifically paid to stop people from doing-taking drinks to the pool area-that was why he was hired. A crowd gathered around him and he sought help from an off duty policeman.

The baseball player pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor charge of drunk and disorderly. He had also been released from his former team and was not playing baseball at the time.

Anytime you have intoxicated people and the police problems arise. If the jury awards this guy some money some things will have to come out in the civil trial that are not known.

The other man-not named-that was with the player told the police when they first arrived that "everybody is drunk" and three witnesses heard that remark.

If you want to glorify being intoxicated that is your business however the court will not see it that way. Unless the 'everybody is drunk' comment can be removed from the case than the officers did their job-that is what the discipline board concurred.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: spooky24

Thank you for the reply: as in all things there are usually to sides to every story... The problem for many unfortunately, is who are you gonna believe...... to many cops have been exposed who write a report that is false and the truth only comes out when some sneaky video is found of the incident.. Best policy is to avoid any domestic/imperial entanglements to begin with... Heck of a way to start a marriage either way.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: HanzHenry

"If I had lowered my standards of honor, integrity and devotion to duty..."

Yeah instead you joined the military.

How many countries did you invade? How many homes did you search without warrant? How many innocent women and children did you kill? All in the name of the petrodollar. Shame on you.

You sir were or are a member of a group that commits attrocities everyday. I am sick of you making blanket statements and judgements about the police. Maybe you should take a look in the mirror.

You really need to get off of your high horse.

Sorry for the rant. Flame on.

PS To stay on topic. That situation was absolutely uncalled for by the off duty officer. The crime being committed was not worth what the situation turned into.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: spooky24

Good catch. I didn't realize someone asked for help. So the off duty officer helps and unfortunately things go wrong.

I am sure if the officer did nothing and the person left drunk someone would complain that nothing was done.

Lose, lose for the police as usual.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
This is one memory I bet the wedding party would rather not have in their scape book ! The incident happened on October 5th, 2008, but is still being worked through the court system. A speedy trial and justice served, not.

An event that should have been happy and memorable turned into violence and chaos when the Galveston Police got involved. A couple had just exchanged their vows and were celebrating with friends and family at the San Luis Hotel.

Everything was fine until an off-duty police officer thought that he had witnessed the bride’s brother, Daniel “Cole” O’Balle, 19, walking outside with an alcoholic beverage in his hand. Suspecting an under-aged adult had consumed a beverage without government permission, and violated the “open container” prohibition law, he phoned the police department for backup.
Police officers arrived to confront Mr. O’Balle. Joe and Shannon Belluomini, guests of the wedding party, witnessed the altercation and said that O’Balle was complying with security. Nonetheless, “out of nowhere, mayhem started,” explained Joe Belluomini to KTRK.

When the Belluominis tried to defuse the situation, they became targets themselves. Shannon Belluomini explained to KTRK that her husband was grabbed by the throat as Mr. O’Balle was assaulted. “The officer that had a baton in his hand started beating Cole with it. And then there just seemed like there were more and more officers.”

So the brother gets beat in the head and is still not fully recovered. The father is tazed for asking what is going on and a pro ball player was hurt so bad his career was ended that night.

Brandon Backe, a pitcher for the Houston Astros, was in attendance to the wedding since he was a childhood friend of the groom. As a pro-baseball player he had appeared in the World Series in 2005. The injuries he endured during the commotion would ultimately lead to surgeries, permanent pain, and a ruined career.

“I heard a frantic voice saying, ‘They got Cole.’ I could tell by the tone of the voice that something wasn’t right,” explained Backe in court.
But Backe said there was no more room to back up. “Chill out, we can’t back up. You’ve got enough room,” Backe replied. He says at that point several officers attacked him. He says he was struck until he fell to the ground and received a beating until his face was bloody. He said one officer kicked him in the face, breaking his nose.

Backe said that officers slammed his body into a concrete curb and then piled on top of him, beating him continuously. His shoulder took a hard blow from the concrete. “I hit the ground hard and they just got on top of me,” he said.

Kinda reminds one of a shark feeding frenzy.. All in all 34 officers were involved.

For all the brutality and wanton attacks committed that night, no officers were fired. As far as the chief was concerned, every instance of force was justified. The only complaints that Galveston Police supervisors had was that the incident wasn’t documented properly. According to the Houston Chronicle:

An internal police investigation completed in March 2009 found that officers followed department policy in making arrests and applying force but that 13 officers failed to properly document the incident. Nine officers were suspended without pay, and four were issued written reprimands.

No “use of force” forms were filed at all, despite a gaping head wound, hair pulled out, a broken nose, pepper spray on numerous individuals, and obvious signs of bruising and beating on the arrested wedding guests.

While these omissions were themselves upsetting, many were shocked by the lack of acknowledgement of the brutality, and the lack of discipline following it.

“Split a skull open — bleeding on the brain — and its a paperwork violation?!” remarked Gil O’Balle.

www.policestateusa.com...
Welcome to Galveston Texas M.F. (my friend)

But...but...only the police are responsible and trustworthy enough to carry guns. (sarcasm)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

hey

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
a reply to: HanzHenry

"If I had lowered my standards of honor, integrity and devotion to duty..."

Yeah instead you joined the military.

How many countries did you invade? How many homes did you search without warrant? How many innocent women and children did you kill? All in the name of the petrodollar. Shame on you.

You sir were or are a member of a group that commits attrocities everyday. I am sick of you making blanket statements and judgements about the police. Maybe you should take a look in the mirror.

You really need to get off of your high horse.

Sorry for the rant. Flame on.

PS To stay on topic. That situation was absolutely uncalled for by the off duty officer. The crime being committed was not worth what the situation turned into.

Okay, that gets the moronic post of the day award.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Why? The American military has never committed attrocities?

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Why? The American military has never committed attrocities?

That's not what you said. You said "Commits atrocities every day," and accused him of killing women and children for petrodollars. You chide someone for making a stupid, blanket statement and then you make an even bigger, stupid, blanket statement.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Understood.

I didn't accuse him of anything. I asked him.

I was simply trying to show the offensive nature and stupidty behind his blanket statements. Apparently it worked.

On a routine basis he says "badges are Redcoats." Implying that every police officer is a "Redcoat." He then goes on to say if he wanted to lower his standards of honor he would of became a police officer. Again implying that all police officers have little to no honor.

I know not all police are good. Just like not all military members are good.

Just trying to make a point.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Understood.

I was simply trying to show the offensive nature and stupidty behind his blanket statements. Apparently it worked.

On a routine basis he says "badges are Redcoats." Implying that every police officer is a "Redcoat." He then goes on to say if he wanted to lower his standards of honor he would of became a police officer. Again implying that all police officers have little to no honor.

Fair enough. The majority of cops are just professionals doing a tough job as are the majority of military. Sure, you have bad eggs in any organization, but we're not all baby killers or jack booted thugs. Like you get annoyed by all of the jack booted thugs comments, we military types get tired of all of the baby killer comments. It does get old.

Anyway. Carry on and have a nice day.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

You too my friend. Stay safe out there. I do truly appreciate what you do.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

You too my friend. Stay safe out there. I do truly appreciate what you do.

Ditto.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

Understood.

Fair enough. The majority of cops are just professionals doing a tough job as are the majority of military. Sure, you have bad eggs in any organization, but we're not all baby killers or jack booted thugs. Like you get annoyed by all of the jack booted thugs comments, we military types get tired of all of the baby killer comments. It does get old.

The military has it's incidents too, but they have stricter rules of engagement (and stick to them), are doing a job in a war zone where all opposition is armed, and are far more disciplined in general. We've seen what the military covers up thanks to Manning, it would be a massive improvement if that was the level of problems in the police.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: NavyDoc

Understood.

The military has it's incidents too, but they have stricter rules of engagement (and stick to them), are doing a job in a war zone where all opposition is armed, and are far more disciplined in general. We've seen what the military covers up thanks to Manning, it would be a massive improvement if that was the level of problems in the police.

Preying on your own people and comparing them to some foreigners in a combat zone?

That is telling. basically an admission that in the eyes of the police, America is a combat zone and we are all enemy combatants.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: HanzHenry
Preying on your own people and comparing them to some foreigners in a combat zone?

That is telling. basically an admission that in the eyes of the police, America is a combat zone and we are all enemy combatants.

The foreigners that are known enemy combatants get better treatment and more lax engagement than citizens with the police. If we were Al Qaeda militants in Iraq and the police were the military it would be two steps improved from what we have now.

top topics

join