It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powdered Alcohol Coming To The US?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Humans have been enjoying alcohol for thousands of years in a variety of forms, but one aspect has always remained constant: it was liquid. Inventor Mark Phillips has created a product that could revolutionize what we think about cocktails and gives a whole new meaning to ‘dry martini’: powdered alcohol. The product, called Palcohol, has just gained approval from the U.S. Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB). (See update at the bottom)

To turn Palcohol into your favorite adult beverage, you just add the powdered alcohol (which comes in a package sort of like a sugar packet) to five ounces of water. It currently comes in six varieties: rum, vodka, cosmopolitan, mojito, margarita, and lemon drop. Swapping out the water for a different mixer (such as soda or juice) can personalize the drink to suit an individual’s taste preference.

Many are excited because Palcohol could be discretely brought in to places where liquor is not available or exorbitantly priced, such as sporting events, concerts, movie theaters, airplanes, cruise ships, and the like. However, it is for this precise reason that many are opposing its availability.

One of the first questions to be brought up regarding the product was if it could be snorted. The short answer is yes, but it’s a terrible idea. The Palcohol website says this about snorting: “We have seen comments about goofballs wanting to snort it. Don't do it! It is not a responsible or smart way to use the product. To take precautions against this action, we've added volume to the powder so it would take more than a half of a cup of powder to get the equivalent of one drink up your nose. You would feel a lot of pain for very little gain. Just use it the right way.”

Read more and see the update at www.iflscience.com...

Oh man this calls for a:

Well seriously I am glad they made so it couldn't be abused by adding extra powder otherwise I could see all kinds of things going bad. Alcohol capsule anyone? Anyway I would love this for traveling. I would still go into the local vills to pick up the local favorite flavor but there are many times I am going to remote areas with just a backpack and mosquito net hammock where carrying a bottle of rum is unwanted weight. Although there have been times I did anyway. Once this does make it to market I sincerely hope it is reasonably priced.

It has been a while since I have seen something worth making a thread about, but I am curious what are your thoughts ATS.
edit on 21-4-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

They say yes it could be storted not smart....just wait till some moron shoots it up.
(Do not do this unless you want to die)
We will se a upswing in injectable alcohol deaths.

Well I see the reason behind it, it won't be something I will purchase. I haven't drank in 2 years. Hower for those who enjoy a drink, this will be a neat alternative to bring to partys.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Although there have been times I did anyway.

You see how you are?
It's all about your needs, isn't it?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

The first thing that comes to mind with this is it's going to have huge and immediate implications to what goes into my bug out bag. Does that make me a terrible person? But hey, we can now stock up for when SHTF.

The second thought is that alcohol can be overdosed on. This may add a new dimension to binging.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago

The first thing that comes to mind with this is it's going to have huge and immediate implications to what goes into my bug out bag. Does that make me a terrible person? But hey, we can now stock up for when SHTF.

I wonder if it will be availble in bulk, the trading possibilities.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JValhalla

I don't think we need to worry about a upswing in injectable alcohol whether that be traditional or the roundabout way of powder back to liquid. For those that do they can be nominated for Darwin awards.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

dry alcohol, that is interesting!!! speaking of alcohol, anyone see that people are starting to smoke it....well,

it is in a glass with a candle or flame under it , you inhale the fumes...you get the alcohol without all the calories,but, it is really dangerous because if we drink too much our body has a mechhanism...vomiting to get it out of our system, when you inhale the fumes you can in hale alot and there is no way to get it out of your system.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Although there have been times I did anyway.

You see how you are?
It's all about your needs, isn't it?

Well sometimes...er..yeah, yeah it is about my needs.

I remember once I hiked with a group of people up a volcano where we kept switching who would carry the bottle bag for the celebration at the top. That was a heavy damn bottle.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

Nah that is probably smart and could double for medical.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

This is the first I have ever heard of such a thing. Sorry but I enjoy the actual drinking . I don't like when it goes beyond a light buzz.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

I don't think we need to worry about a upswing in injectable alcohol whether that be traditional or the roundabout way of powder back to liquid. For those that do they can be nominated for Darwin awards.

You would be suprised. A well known star of the show jacka** did this introducing the new habit to millions of people. It is actualy somewhat common in the Miami are with the homless crowd already. They just need half of a nip.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

Wow you got me too I have never heard of people doing this. Absolutely crazy the extent to which people will go to get # up.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Well Darwin awards for all then I guess. I would think that should burn something awful.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This might be a random thought, but how many cases of alcohol poisoning are we going to be hearing about in children because irresponsible parents weren't smart enough to keep the "kool-aid" out of the reach of their children? It's bad enough that we hear of cases of kids shooting their friends because they wanted to show off the gun that daddy keeps "hidden" in his sock drawer, or the fact that every summer in my area, we hear of kids drowning because a parent was too worried about whatever was going on on Facebook to pay attention to their children who were playing next to an unfenced pool.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Thanks for bring up this thread grim S&F for you.
It just never cease to amaze me the new things we are coming up with thos day in age. As a kid I could have never dreamed about getting powdered alcohol to bring into games. It will deffently be a help to those who have to shell out $12 bucks a beer.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
re powdered alcohol in the bug out bag
after living off grid all last summer and fall- moral is critical to survival
not having the liquid weight to carry, or bottle to smash...not unattractive qualities

re the snert proofing by adding bulk
removing the cut is a common practice with street drugs...someone WILL figure it out

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlysyn

You left out prescription (and otherwise) drugs. Parents can be really stupid things.
edit on 4/21/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Danbones

Agreed it only took a matter of months for people to crack "tamper proof" Rx. Making it even more dangerous than the originals.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I just found an article saying that the approvals were issued in error.

NEW YORK (AP) — Don't expect powdered alcohol to hit store shelves anytime soon. A product called "Palcohol" gained widespread attention online in recent days after it was reported that the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau approved the powdered alcohol, including vodka and rum varieties. But a representative for the federal bureau, Tom Hogue, said in an email to The Associated Press late Monday that the approvals were issued in error.

Source: www.usatoday.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlysyn

Yeah that was covered in the source. The copied text didn't show the line through it. Thats what the

(See update at the bottom)
was about. But thanks for another source.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join