It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PA Student Gets In-School Suspension For Asking Miss America To Prom

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
This article just rubs me the wrong way. Why would they penalize this kid for being a gentleman?
All he did is ask an attractive woman to prom after a talk at his school, and bought her a flower.

School officials warned the student not to ask her. He did anyway, and i give him mad props for doing so.

This is just sickening. Sure she was a guest and the school didn't want her being harassed by horny teenagers,
But being Miss America, you have to come to expect that everywhere you go.

I cant help but feel like this is setting a bad example.
The school officials are telling students that this kind of proper respect and treatment is against the rules.

It was originally a joke. One that gathered momentum. The kid didn't want to look like a wussy.
He might have went against the official word, but he did it with taste.

What do you all think ATS? Is this kid in the right? Did he do anything harmful in any way shape or form?
Does the school have a right to make such rules?

9WSYR

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta

sometimes you just gotta say f the man and go with your gut...bah its only a suspension..like anything I did in highschool ever changed a damn thing...highschool doesnt mean jack unless your going to an ivy league college..

and what right does the school have to choose his date?

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
According to the article he wasn't suspended for asking her to prom but rather for clearly ignoring the direction he and previously been given, "Farves said he was not suspended for asking the question, but for going against what school officials said."

When I was young if my mother said be home by 6 and I showed up at 9, I knew I would get grounded.
When i was in highschool and they said don't talk during a test so I did I knew I would get in trouble.

What is the difference? If the student knew what the school expected going in and he did the opposite then it should be looked at as a good lesson in consequences.
edit on 2014pAmerica/Chicago3010pam by opethPA because: (no reason given)

edit on 2014pAmerica/Chicago3010pam by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

The kid demonstrated the attraction between male and female in a mature and responsible manner, which is more than most can say at that school. At the very least, in-school detention will not erase the fact that the kid has balls AND class.

edit on 20-4-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
What is the difference? If the student knew what the school expected going in and he did the opposite then it should be looked at as a good lesson in consequences.

I agree to an extent. If you knowingly do something wrong then you should deal with the consequences.

They are showing hundreds of his peers that being a gentleman is wrong.
They should have gave him a big pat on the back for being a man about it.

They can say it was against the word of the school, but what its showing a bunch of kids is, do right and its still wrong.

I am not sure if my point is coming across clearly.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

While it is only a slap on the wrist, i cant help but feel its still teaching kids the wrong thing.
Teach by your actions.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Here is an opportunity for Miss America to prove she deserves that crown. She can take a stand against tyranny and go to the prom with the kid.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Here is an opportunity for Miss America to prove she deserves that crown. She can take a stand against tyranny and go to the prom with the kid.

I can't call it a tyrannical action, but i like your sentiment.

She should go with him!

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
He should've known that he was outclassed. Just another teen movie. Chaperone once and see how ridiculous it really is.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Here is a follow up story with Miss America saying don't suspend him.. www.philly.com...

Personally I think this has less to do with him asking her and more with him breaking the rules that the school established.

Either way hopefully all parties involved can grow from the experience.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: shaneslaughta

originally posted by: skunkape23

I can't call it a tyrannical action, but i like your sentiment.

She should go with him!

She is already showing some class.

She is asking the school to lighten up!

Miss America is asking a Pennsylvania school district to reconsider the punishment of a high school senior who asked her to prom during the question-and-answer portion of an assembly.

The York Dispatch reported Sunday that Nina Davuluri posted a statement on the Miss America Organization's Facebook page saying she contacted Central York High School to ask officials to rethink the three-day in-school suspension issued to 18-year-old Patrick Farves.

Miss America asks school to rethink suspension over prom query

I am on the fence with the whole deal. Grant you he was told not to do it and he did it anyways. I guess my problem is with the Authoritarian attitudes the school officials have taken, along with their ridiculous Zero tolerance policies.....

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Personally I think this has less to do with him asking her and more with him breaking the rules that the school established.

Perfectly understood. My point is that some times the rules with best intentions, can be more harmful that helpful.

While trying to teach a hierarchical command structure IMO is necessary....this route is giving the wrong ideals to young impressionable minds.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
It's a tough scenario all around.
In the end the School and the Student could have made better choices with this which is always much easier to see and say when you are removed from the situation and after the fact.
edit on 2014pAmerica/Chicago3011pam by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

It's a tough scenario all around.
In the end the School and the Student could have made better choices with this which is always much easier to see and say when you are removed from the situation and after the fact.

Agreed.

Its just too knee jerk for me. An 18 year old in trouble for asking Miss America to prom.
Come on, he is an adult for crying out loud.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Double Post.
edit on 4/20/2014 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

This just makes me so happy. Faith in humanity restored a bit!
Second?

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I think maybe detention after school would have been a better punishment not suspension that is crazy. He should be punished but that is to harsh.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Davian

I almost posted that same line

Gave me some hope and took some away.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: desertguy

I think maybe detention after school would have been a better punishment not suspension that is crazy. He should be punished but that is to harsh.

It was In School Suspension. That means a single room all day with the rest of the trouble makers, and a stack of work.
It could have been worse for him.

To me it still gives the wrong ideas about whats expected in the real world.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: shaneslaughta
Is this kid in the right? Did he do anything harmful in any way shape or form?
Does the school have a right to make such rules?

show me the kids report card and behavioral record first. Chances are the kid was a punk...raised to think he could get away with anything and put it on his twitter. I could be wrong though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join