It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Glass goes on sale to everyone / Should You Buy Google Glass?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Google glass is banned in a lot of places where you would be most inclined to use it, for privacy purposes. So no.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Cops should be required to wear them for every interaction with the slaves, I mean civilians. To keep laws suits down of course. Not for the safety of us mere peons.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jdoors

But I have to disagree with these people. I do not think people should buy Google Glass at this time.

It's not up to you to decide how others should spend their money.

people in America. Should you buy Google Glass? I know that they are some Google Glass evangelists . They say that Google Glass is the best think ever and life changing.

A much more informed discussion on this topic can be had by people who actually own Google Glass. They are the people to ask if it's amazing or not, rather than people, like yourself, who do not own Google Glass.

if you wear it in San Francisco people might beat you up for wearing it.

If this is true then it points to a rather big issue with San Francisco if not society in general. I ran a search and the real problem is c lass issues and a wealth divide in San Francisco. So that's the real issue, rather than Google Glass itself. Way to misrepresent the issue.

The cost is too high and it has very limited functions. You can do much more with a cell phone. I believe in the potential of Google Glass. It could someday be an amazing device. But it's not there yet.

How exactly do you think technology develops? Do you think the moment the microprocessor was developed we instantly had a smartphone? Or do you think we didn't use microprocessors until they were the multicore, multiple GHz machines, extremely power efficient devices we have today? They got there through evolutionary improvement. And increasing volume over time as the technology improved. And using that volume to fund more improvements.

reply to post by Elton

Thanks for this amazing revelation. You won't be using a product. wow.

reply to post by Bassago

If they wear one around here they may get pounded as well.

What I said above. Also you are effectively condoning violence. Way to go.

Some folks have no concern for the privacy of others or their feeling in that matter of being a target to pedestrian surveillance.

Are you also against smartphones?

I am actually totally for this technology. It essentially puts surveillance equipment in the hands of the general public, rather than the hands of a select few who, like property owners or police, who can afford (in more than one way) to install fixed CCTV cameras. It makes it much easier to, for example, catch police brutality on tape, and bring those responsible to justice.

reply to post by Skyfloating

I hope this completely fails, though my guess is that people will embrace their own enslavement with great enthusiasm.

You wish failure on someone else? You think people buying and using products they want is enslavement? Who's more authoritarian, you wishing failure on someone else and hoping that people cannot buy products they like and enjoy, or Google Glass, providing a product which evidently people want?

reply to post by MConnalley

How is it going to give you eye cancer? More baseless claims.

reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

20 years from now if the world still exists there will be a class action law suit against Google for creating severe eye problems from the usage of their Google Glass...people will get severe headaches, have major eye problems (cancer or cataracts or vision loss)...it might not even take that long, but I will tell you without a doubt, if you don't already have eye problems you will and if you do they will only get worse.

And your proof behind these claims is? Are you an authority on the subject?

reply to post by TKDRL

These things are big brother's wet dream. You know they will be tapping into these cameras....

No, you don't know that. That would depend on the software installed.

reply to post by Silcone Synapse

What a mindless futile excuse for an intelligent species we have become.

Bring on the solar flares...

You wish for a global disaster because you don't like a product? That's pretty disgusting. I would post what I actually felt about this but I'm afraid I don't feel like being banned today.

The last thing I will say is you're all Luddites. If you don't like Google Glass then don't buy it, otherwise quit acting like a bunch of angsty teenagers.
edit on 14/4/14 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

juspassinthru

An Orwellian wet dream.

More than that its an Orwellian multiple-orgasm. This goes way beyond what Orwell proposed because people are absolutely loving it and the surveillance of everything is not just limited to a few Government employees. Its going to be a blanket super-invasion of not only our most private spaces but of our very minds.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Larry Page, is that you?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

C0bzz

It's not up to you to decide how others should spend their money.

Is it up to me to decide who gets to make video-recordings of my life?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

First, I like your avatar. It's pretty trippy and surreal. That being said, this whole thread was made to ask ATS members if they wanted to buy Google Glass or not, you don't need to be a condescending asshole to everyone who says that they aren't going to buy the glasses. In fact you are acting like one of those Google Glass evangelists that the OP was talking about, getting offended because someone has the AUDACITY to not like something that you love. How about instead of berating other posters for not liking something, you give some reasons why you WANT to buy this product?

P.S. F Google Glass. As an IT professional as well as someone who knows how Google operates, screw this product.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Every time I see these I think of The Jerk and how he lost all of his money as a result of lawsuits from his "Opti-Grab." Instead of making us look cross-eyed, our eyes will just gradually keep floating to the upper right corner.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Is it up to me to decide who gets to make video-recordings of my life?

If you're in public then no, you don't get to decide what others can and can not see, photograph, or record. I believe in the USA this applies to authorities too. It might also be useful for other situations, like in cases where an employee has abused their power, car-accidents, police incidents, etc..

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

C0bzz

If you're in public then no, you don't get to decide what others can and can not see, photograph, or record.

Oh I see. So I am fair-game to every antagonist turned paparazzi. They can follow me and record my every move.

You do sound like that new generation of new worlders who say "Who cares about privacy? If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about. Now let me stand there and point the camera at you 24/7, then upload it to the Internet. We have the right to know where you are going and what you are doing all day".
edit on 2014 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Oh I see. So I am fair-game to every antagonist turned paparazzi. They can follow me and record my every move.

People can already do that with a smartphone. Or regular phone.

But this makes it a bit easier and more difficult to detect. It's one way the technology could be misused which also why stalking and harassment should remain illegal. Perhaps the law should be strengthened as a result of this new technology. And if the data is uploaded online to e.g. Facebook, there should be provisions to request removal of that data. And perhaps laws should be implemented to prevent them from automatically uploading video to the internet (although this would be so data intensive it's probably not feasible anyway on a large scale).

For example, in Australia we make it mandatory for mobile phones to make a sound of a certain volume when taking a photo.

You do sound like that new generation of new worlders who say "Who cares about privacy?

Privacy is something that is extremely important to me, especially my emails, online conversations, and what I do within my own home. I don't expect privacy when going out into a public place. As long as you don't follow or harass me, then film me all you want in public.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

C0bzz
For example, in Australia we make it mandatory for mobile phones to make a sound of a certain volume when taking a photo.

I like this. I`ve actually once had the idea to turn off the sound on my smartphone to be able to secretly take a picture of someone doing something embarrasing that I could use against them. I didn't do it because I have a conscience (and because I wouldnt want the same done to me), but the possibilities are endless. I really like this sound idea.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   

C0bzz

reply to post by Silcone Synapse

What a mindless futile excuse for an intelligent species we have become.

Bring on the solar flares...

You wish for a global disaster because you don't like a product? That's pretty disgusting. I would post what I actually felt about this but I'm afraid I don't feel like being banned today.

Don't get your knickers in a twist CObzz-The solar flare commet is a tongue in cheek line I use quite a bit when I see a technological development which will ultimatley be used to further enslave us as a species,while making out its all "cool" and "fun" and "the next big thing."
Chill.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jdoors

Price 1,500 dollars.

In my experience, you never buy 1st generation technology of "any kind" not worth it. Over priced, will still have numerous bugs and your exactly correct, you will get jumped for a pair of overpriced glasses.

Just not worth it. If you have the $ for it, yea ok I can understand the splurge on a item. However, I will not be financing these, now or in the future until it becomes more "Cost Effective". Until that point I will just point and laugh at the jack wagons for spending that kind of money.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jdoors

I think I'm going to wait until we can have the Google Eye (or whatever they'll someday call the implants and contact lens versions).

My defense of this sort of tech is that we can't stop the government from spying on us. We need to accept that. But what we can do is make it impossible for them to get away with anything as long as people are around to witness it.

Just imagine a world where everything that everybody sees is recorded somewhere. After a few years of people feeling very uncomfortable and some major laws being placed to protect citizen privacy rights, I think the world would vastly improve. There would never be another police abuse scandal, for example.

Also... how do you think the 9/11 event would have played out if we had every witness account recorded. Including the victims? Including any people in power that may or may not have had something to do with it?

We just might end up with honest politicians some day.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

sulaw
reply to post by jdoors

Price 1,500 dollars.

In my experience, you never buy 1st generation technology of "any kind" not worth it. Over priced, will still have numerous bugs and your exactly correct, you will get jumped for a pair of overpriced glasses.

Just not worth it. If you have the $ for it, yea ok I can understand the splurge on a item. However, I will not be financing these, now or in the future until it becomes more "Cost Effective". Until that point I will just point and laugh at the jack wagons for spending that kind of money.

It's not that you'd get jumped for the glasses like they're some kind of expensive name brand sneakers. You'd get jumped because Google Glass, should it become as commonplace as regular spectacles, is quite literally a potential violation of privacy on a national level. Pretty tricky, actually. What do you do when the general public accuses you of violating their privacy? Give them a way to join in the fun. People are hypocrites like that. Always love to talk about other people and snoop in their business and speculate about their private lives - until its their turn to be talked about.

It'll be a regular game of Spy vs Spy.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jdoors

Nope, won't be getting Google's glasses. I respect my and others' privacy way too much to do that because, well, Google has just been getting creepier and creepier. Kind of an over the top view of former CEO and now executive chairman Eric Schmidt but humorous nonetheless:

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Only way I'd ever get this thing is if it was given to me, or was a huge steal. And I'd most likely only use it around the house or while maybe on a hike. I hike a lot and if the reception is good it may come in handy to identifying plants, trees, rock formations and what not.
But I'd never be caught walking around the street with this thing on, it's like people who walk around with Bluetooth headsets, you just stick out like a sore thumb, and what's wrong with holding a phone up to your head?
I got a friend on facebook who got his hands on a beta model about a year ago, he gave updates and such and he said it was terrible when driving a car, and walking around the street was just to much, people looked at him differently, acted weird around him, etc.

But as in Google fashion, it's just one step closer on a project to get the 'one up' on everyone else. They have money, they have talent, and they can afford to make a bold move like this. The device will only get smaller and more useful from here on out, to the point where it'll literally just a bluetooth sized device mounted on a pair of glasses and no one will be the wiser!
Makes me think of the last episode of Sherlock.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I think everyone should be concerned about The Glass.
First: There are apps that turn off the "camera in use" light so you may never know if someone is videoing you.

Second: we don't really trust Google do we?

Third: The NSA ('nuff said)

There are already privacy lawsuits and assaults due to this "awesome" bit of tech.

I will pass and hope that I don't encounter someone insisting on videoing me I may use poor judgement in my response.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Not just no but HELL NO! Bad enough I am stuck with a smart phone for work.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join