It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science is Boring

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

LesMisanthrope
reply to post by Kashai

Actually I was thinking the opposite as the term "Rabble" is a well known stereotype.

It did take the opportunity to contact the rabble and there response to you can not be posted in this forum.

However it does begin with you are an ....... and then continues.

Of course. Only the rabble would resort to name calling. That's to be expected.

And that is exactly what the word Rabble is. Name calling.

Thanks for clearing that up LM.

edit on 15-4-2014 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

And that is exactly what the word Rabble is. Name calling.

Thanks for clearing that up LM.

Except one is said in jest, the other with malicious intent. One is hyperbole, the other is a personal attack. One is aimed at no one in particular, the other is. One has been used by poets, philosophers and writers for thousands of years. The other? Maybe found in a schoolyard playground?

Show your cards. Let me know the insult you had in mind. I promise I will not be offended.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Actually you should check Wikipedia.

Rabble is name calling LM no different than any other such term. And yes it is a term that can and has been applied to individuals.

There is nothing funny about it. It is a term intended to degrade others and in your case, the capacity to understand knowledge.

In reality the two words could be considered synonymous as the intent of both is to suggest the person so named is of low class.

Altogether it is name calling and does not belong in a civilized conversation.

Would you not agree?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Actually you should check Wikipedia.

Rabble is name calling LM no different than any other such term. And yes it is a term that can and has been applied to individuals.

There is nothing funny about it. It is a term intended to degrade others and in your case, the capacity to understand knowledge.

In reality the two words could be considered synonymous as the intent of both is to suggest the person so named is of low class.

Altogether it is name calling and does not belong in a civilized conversation.

Would you not agree?

I would disagree actually. Find me some evil quotes with the word rabble in it.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Synonyms: proletariat, rabblement, ragtag and bobtail, riffraff, rout, scum, tag, rag, and bobtail (or tagrag and bobtail), trash, unwashed

Antonyms :A-list, aristocracy, elite, gentry, quality, society, upper class, upper crust

Related Words: dregs; commoners, commons, herd, hoi polloi, masses, millions, mob, multitude, people, plebeians, populace, public, rank and file; bourgeoisie, middle class, working class

Near Antonym: select, establishment; gentlefolk (also gentlefolks), nobility, peerage

Source

"I hate the irreverent rabble and keep them far from me."

Horace

"If the rabble were lopped off at one end and the aristocrats at the other, all would be well with the country."

Andrew Johnson

"I never desired to please the rabble. What pleased them, I did not learn; and what I knew was far removed from their understanding."

Epicurus

Any thoughts?

edit on 15-4-2014 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

I'm flattered. You compare me to Horace, Johnson and Epicurus? Such evil men.

Now. What name were you going to call me, and we'll compare.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Remember this insult?

Is it possible you are using this forum to compensate for your feelings of inadequacies???

I think that was directed at me as a person, but I'm not too sure.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I am happy that you consider yourself one of them. As the term itself is clearly derogatory which reflects negatively upon them as well.

LM you comment was in very poor taste get over it

Any thoughts?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

It is an expression of inadequacy to essentially refer to people as scum, trash and so on.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

I am happy that you consider yourself one of them. As the term itself is clearly derogatory which reflects negatively upon them as well.

LM you comment was in very poor taste get over it

Have I insulted you Kashai? Or are you just very comfortable up there on that moral high-horse?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

It is an expression of inadequacy to essentially refer to people as scum, trash and so on.

So in other words a hypocrite.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
ATTENTION PLEASE

Please return the conversation to the topic and knock off the bickering.

Do not reply to this post.

edit on 4/15/2014 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
But forsooth, whither hast thine mud pit gone?

2nd

edit on 15-4-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I think that each us are no better than the worst of us, no matter what status we happen to have achieved.

Even in as much as you claim that it was in jest. It is a term, implied to the issues of a caste system.

Besides, boring is in the eye of the beholder and you seem educated enough to understand that.

So given that. Why the attitude with science (getting past our recent bickering).

Myself, I am not a fan of scientism and in relation to your comments in this thread it seems something we have in common.

edit on 15-4-2014 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

I think that each us are no better than the worst of us, no matter what status we happen to have achieved.

Even in as much as you claim that it was in jest. It is a term, implied to the issues of a caste system.

Besides boring is in the eye of the beholder and you seem educated enough to understand that.

So given that why the attitude with science getting past our recent augments.

Myself, I am not a fan of scientism.

I'm not an aristocrat. I don't see class or caste. I hunt and fish for my own food. I live on modest means, often off the grid. I've travelled most of my life throughout every culture. This is the only reason I choose to separate myself from the rabble, because I can self-sustain—And because they can't, I have to watch my beloved world swallowed by their destruction. Sure, I'm bitter, but whatever, that's my problem. This is what worries me about scientism—the debasement of science into a tool of destruction.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I am a member of an indigenous culture. By virtue of my birthright I have access to ancient accounts that relate to the history of Western Hemispheric society prior to the integration of European society. English is my third language, Spanish is my second and my first is Nahuatl.

To the best of my knowledge the reason the Toltec language is so difficult to interpret. Is because words related to feelings have many more terms implied. So the word kindness would be another word if it was related to say a relative or a friend. In example if your sister did something kind for you it would be a different word than had an acquaintance, done the same thing.

Scientism is a religion especially without any real evidence, done scientifically. In relation to current practitioners of ancient indigenous conclusions (Religion).

I compliment your efforts to learn to survive on your own But nonetheless a New York Strip cooked to order along with Rice Pilaf and Asparagus in butter, at a four star restaurant, in New York tastes really good.

edit on 15-4-2014 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I think the term "boring" is boring. I prefer "insipid".

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Nicely put Mister I don't trust or I hate people.

Look we are looking for knowledge these days and wisdom took a back seat because wisdom is what they now made boring.

It is better to know how to destroy the world than to know not to know how to destroy the world.

We rather make more and more medicine when we know the placebo effect cures just about anything.

Wisdom doesn't help the economy, as a matter of fact, wisdom condemns interest on loans because it leads to problems. We just had to do the experiment one more time to make sure.

F*ck it! I am a Misanthrope as well.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Like those who promote their particular view of science, namely, as being some grand all-knowing entity, someone can come along, look at the exact same phenomena, the exact same results they procure, and present a completely different ideological view of it. So much the better.

Ideological? Maybe those that would use science ideologically have caught your full, unwavering attention and you've missed the point of science

What am I really dismissing here? Have I dismissed the scientific method? Have I dismissed the body of facts? Have I dismissed experiment? Curiosity? Have I dismissed speculation or prediction? I merely dismissed the ideology of Science with a capital S, which essentially, is nothing but people forming a dogmatic view about a practice that has little to do with dogma. No actual science was harmed in the making of this thread, only feelings and sensibilities. No one likes to hear their worldview called “boring”.

Or maybe the time to say what you meant to say was really in your OP

So, is this what you're all about - the hurting of feelings - sewing discord? Can you think of no better way to use your skills or make your point?

Like advertising...or politics :-)

Perhaps I do not. What is this real target and enemy?

I've wondered more than once - you're not American are you? And probably too young for Walt Kelly

:-)

Hasta la vista LesMis - can't wait to see what bothers you next

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Eh... science can be boring... art too... food can be boring... sex can even be boring (I've heard)... it's all as boring as the mind involved... heck, your OP was boring... this reply is really boring... and one day the whole universe might comprehend itself and grind to an entropic end... bored to death with literally everything!

I think I forgot my meds... apologies...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join