It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iraqi Political Parties Seek Vote Delay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Key Iraqi political parties including Secular Groups, Sunni, Kurds, and Christians are demanding a hold be placed on the Iraqi election scheduled for January 30, for up to six months or at least until the polling stations can be secure. President Bush insists he is hopeful the elections will be held as scheduled in January. Iraq it seems may put democracy on hold. Is this a small victory for terrorists and insurgents in Iraq?

CBSNEWS.com Full Article

The New York Times reported that the group included parties led by Prime Minister Ayad Allawi, a secular Shiite, and Sunni elder statesman Adnan Pachachi. Both men are backers of U.S. policy in Iraq. The two main Kurdish parties also supported a postponement. The Kurds have also been strong U.S. supporters.

The declaration was signed at Pachachi's home during a meeting attended by three Cabinet ministers.

Asked about their demand for the election to be postponed, President Bush, at his vacation home in Texas, said, "The Iraqi Election Commission has scheduled elections in January, and I would hope they'd go forward in January."

But Iraq's deputy prime minister told an audience Friday in Wales that sticking to the election timetable would be difficult because of the security crisis.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Is the reality of the crisis and continued violence in Iraq escaping President Bush?

It seems that Democracy will be delayed.. Or is it being denied?

The Iraqi people need this election, but the U.S. may need it more because it has promised the world free and fair elections in Iraq under the banner of democracy and freedom. It is also a signal that Iraq belongs to the Iraqi people. However it seems that the Iraqi political parties are not yet ready to have control over their own contry, and for good reason. Iraq is very near out of control of both U.S. and Iraqi forces. If the common Iraqi does not feel safe enough to vote, would the results really speak for the Iraqi people? This could indeed be a small victory for terrorists and insurgents in Iraq if the elections are held up out of fear or security issues.

Is Iraq a better place now?

Can democracy ever work in this Islamic nation?

It seems we could have to wait up to six months longer than expected to find out.

Scroll through thread for updates.

[edit on 27-11-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Delaying elections would be a bad idea.
They should stick to the January deadline.

I remember months ago, the Iraqis wanted elections no later than November 2004.

Fox News: February 09 2004, Iraq elections (streaming media)

Fox News: February 26 2004, Iraq elections (streaming media)

It was already pushed back then.
It can't be pushed back again.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I dont believe it. Its this government wanting more time. I knew something would happen in order to buy more time.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Geez, just put Bush's guy in power already, and save everyone the charade on an election. Maybe the violence will be less, since innocent Iraqis who might think their votes count could get hurt by 'terrorists'. Let them stay safe at home and make the puppet the permanent US liaison.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
You know I could had predicted the delay a long time ago, but I would have been accused of anti- American and anti- Iraqi democracy and who knows what else.

But you don't have to be blind as to see that an election for only one part of the population of Iraq and disregard of another part will cause the worst civil unrest in that country.

The people in Iraq wants elections but without the intervention of the US.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 06:34 AM
link   
With the current state of Iraq, I am sure voting is the last thing on the peoples minds. I think the majority of people are thinking about getting clean water, food and somewhere safe to live.

If the elections happen in January I would be very surprised.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Despite the demands from key Iraqi political parties for up to six months delay in vote. Top Iraqi government leaders are determined to hold January 30 elections as scheduled.

Iraq Determined to Keep Election Date

BAGHDAD, Iraq Nov 27, 2004 � Prime Minister Ayad Allawi's spokesman said Saturday that the government is determined to hold the Jan. 30 elections on time despite calls by Sunni Muslim politicians to delay the balloting for six months because of deteriorating security.

About 17 Sunni Muslim politicians urged the government Friday for postpone the elections, in part to convince Sunni clerics to abandon their call for a boycott and to enable the authorities to secure polling stations.

However, the interim constitution and the U.N. Security Council have mandated a ballot by the end of January to meet demands by religious leaders of the majority Shiite community, which has been insisting on elections since the early months of the U.S. military presence.

"The Iraqi government is determined, as I told you before, to hold elections on time," Allawi's spokesman Thair al-Naqeeb told reporters. "The Iraqi government led by the prime minister is calling for all spectra of the Iraqi people to participate in the elections, and to contribute in the elections to build a strong democratic country."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems for now the Iraqi leaders will push forward with elections as planned. One can only wonder how the Iraqi people feel about this situation. If the key parties are pushing for a delay in the vote because of security concerns, Why would any Iraqi want to risk their lives on January 30 to show up to vote?

Maybe that is just the way some in Iraq want it to be.

Related News:

Iraqi Election Boss Says He Alone Can't Delay Poll

Other News Fron Iraq:

Insurgents Occupy City Hall Near Baghdad

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The update is to make Bush look good.
This man cannot do anything right.
Yes we can, no we cant. Yes we can.....

top topics

join