It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F the poor. Watch this, you'll get the message.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
A little something that was brought to my attention a moment ago. It will be crystal-clear to you in the end and probably something I have always known.
WARNING: f-bombs.
www.youtube.com...

edit on 9-4-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I see the point they are trying to make with this video but to be fair I wouldn't give money to a random guy wearing a sign I would rather give it to an actual charity I have done research on, as someone who commented said.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I would give it to anybody giving out flyers or wearing a sandwich board or a chicken suit. Because you KNOW they need money.

link   

Shepard64
reply to post by FlySolo

I see the point they are trying to make with this video but to be fair I wouldn't give money to a random guy wearing a sign I would rather give it to an actual charity I have done research on, as someone who commented said.

Just curious, do you do that on a regular basis?

What about giving money to the homeless guy on the side of a street? Is the excuse that he will spend it on booze? What is $2 to you?

Edit to add:

Nobody even bothered to stop and ask him what he was up to or if he had some information on his organization. Poor excuse imo.
edit on 9-4-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Holy crap, that was an awesome video. Raises an amazing observation about people.

Shepard64
reply to post by FlySolo

The problem with an "actual charity" is that a lot of times they actually pay 6 figure incomes to many of their executive and managerial employees. The actual amount of money that may end up going to the very cause that you're donating to is oftentimes a fraction of what you originally gave. You did say that you research the charity beforehand so I hope that you mean that you investigate how much of your donated dollar actually gets to the cause in question.

I prefer to cut out the middle man in assisting others. There's a pub that I'll regularly get take out from and I know that one of its employees is probably having to face a lot of medical bills due to a problem. I give her bigger tips than I normally would because it's not hard to figure out that she's probably under financial stress. I also used to regularly buy coffee or hot cocoa, meals and etc for the overtly homeless downtown back when I went downtown. I had an instance where a very clearly homeless guy had the money to buy himself a hot cocoa but was denied service. My daughter and I went in and ordered one. It was really hard for the both of us to not burst out laughing as they gave "her" extra whip cream, sprinkles and two cookies. When they were done, we signaled the elderly man in and handed it right on over.
Good times.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
While I understand the message, I don't agree with the portrayal. This is the definition of propaganda. The two sides being compared are not at all black and white.

"Help the Poor" was obvious. He wanted people to give their money to the poor. "# the Poor" was an ambiguous insult to the poor. The opposite of a "# the Poor" sign would be a "The Poor are Quite Tolerable" sign.

One person is even heard saying, "What do you mean, '# the Poor?'" We all know what he meant by "Help the Poor."

Good intentions, but questionably put together.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Very interesting video, thanks for the share.

Speech comes at no expense, but when it comes to giving away even if it's a few cents, everyone just ignores, I always, always, whenever I have some money, give out some spare change to beggars in the subway and in downtown, most of them are 60 to 70 years old, some are blind and some are lacking limbs, probably from the Colonial War, veterans the government didn't give a # about, I know there are alot of hobbos that would just spend it on drugs, but I can tell when they're crackheads, most of the times, I'm sure my eye scanner is not foul proof though, and there are few homeless people I spent some time with, talked to and got to know their situation, and some of the stories are heart breaking really, I wish there was more I could do for them, but sometimes I cannot even provide for myself, most of them are old, some have a degree, I remember one dude that lived in his car, a smart for two, he parked right in front of a childrens playground and whenever I went to walk my dog I would talk to him, his story, he was 54, an architect, he got fired from his firm, 2 weeks later wife dumped him for another guy, no money to keep the house, moved to his car, and he had been living there for 2 months, I couldn't feel anything but sadness for him but also admired his strenght, he wouldn't accept any money or food, a very gentle and wise dude, he disappeared a few weeks later, this made wonder how he's doing... I hope good.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I prefer to cut out the middle man in assisting others. There's a pub that I'll regularly get take out from and I know that one of its employees is probably having to face a lot of medical bills due to a problem. I give her bigger tips than I normally would because it's not hard to figure out that she's probably under financial stress. I also used to regularly buy coffee or hot cocoa, meals and etc for the overtly homeless downtown back when I went downtown. I had an instance where a very clearly homeless guy had the money to buy himself a hot cocoa but was denied service. My daughter and I went in and ordered one. It was really hard for the both of us to not burst out laughing as they gave "her" extra whip cream, sprinkles and two cookies. When they were done, we signaled the elderly man in and handed it right on over. Good times. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Awesome! Little things like that can make someones day. I understand why some people are hesitant to give the homeless money because they think they will just spend it on drugs or alcohol, but the way I look at it is that those people are probably suffering a great deal more than I am, and if a bottle is going to make them feel better I don't really care. It's not like my refusal to hand over a couple bucks in change is going to change their addictions overnight, and a couple bucks isn't going to make or break me.

I guess I just have the attitude that the difference between me and a homeless person is one bad month. As someone who isn't very wealthy, I've walked that fine line many times, where getting sick and missing work can be the difference between paying the rent or not. All it takes is one bad turn of events and any one of us could be in those worn out shoes.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

DeadSeraph
All it takes is one bad turn of events and any one of us could be in those worn out shoes.

I recently bought a guy on the street some food. While talking to him I discovered that he was made redundant from work, and it took less than three months to find himself homeless and on the street.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
He should have done it the other way around. He should have done the help the poor video first , then when he started doing F the poor and people started complaining he could have showed them the help the poor video and shamed the complainers for not helping but willing to complain about the F the poor thing.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
# the poor yes I agree to some extent, are they really the poor.

I was in the City, there was this women with her child in a pram, the women tears in her eyes, was asking passers-by for $2 so she and her baby could get home on the bus. I was watching this for a while and I have no idea how long she had been doing this on that day.

She would have picked up $30 or more in the half hour or so I was watching, not a bad days pay for the poor down trodden bitch.

I was gob smacked, a BMW pulled up, she loaded the child into the back and she jumped in the front seat, the BMW drove off.

Similar story, (no BMW) same location in the city. Told to me by a friend, Andy.

This guy was asking for the usual $2 donation for a bus ride home (average fare is $3.40) Andy was headed to the pub, the guy asked Andy for a donation, he refused.

45 minutes later, this poor guy walks into the pub Andy was sitting at the bar, the poor guy sits himself at the bar and starts counting his money.

Andy spoke to the guy. "wtf man you just tried to get $2 off me about an hour ago and now your sat in the pub"

The guys answer was simple "yeah I do it everyday"

Andy "Fk, how much do you make"?

Reply. "depends, today was a bit slack, only $150, some days $200"

The creep is making more than the average guy with a wife, kids and mortgage.

You know what, if you want to help the real poor and homeless, tell these $2 donation freak's to Fk off and donate to the Salvation Army.

You sometimes don't know whether to laugh or cry.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

That's kind of how I see it, too. I lived out of my car for 9 days once and I still had it better than a lot of people living on the streets. Way better. When I used to live downtown, I'd actually sit down on the street and talk to many of the homeless to hear their stories. They felt totally ignored as human beings by the majority of the population and the fact that I'd plop down to listen to them meant a whole lot. I learned a lot from doing that and to this day, when i see someone homeless looking at me, I look at them and acknowledge their existence even when I can't buy them that cup of coffee because my bank account is low and I've got two kids eying me for food, lol. Even just doing that means something.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by keenasbro

You should probably watch the video in the OP, keenasbro. Based on your response, I think you're responding to the OP's title and not the content of their post.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I don't give people money. I worked for it, I'm entitled to buy things with it. If you're hungry, I will buy you a sandwich. If you're thirsty, I will gladly buy you water.
Otherwise chances are they are gonna spend it on drugs/booze.

edit on 9-4-2014 by rangerdanger because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

wow say f tha poor and he's ostracized, help the poor and no one pays attention. I cant say i'm surprised. people care only when it's convieniant for them.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

True WhiteAlice, True. I did watch the vid but got carried away with the two stories, then went off to put the washing on.

As to the vid part one, the responses by the people imo, were over the top, except one guy who said he was homeless once.

What I would have liked to see, is another banner further up the road catching the same people walking by that responded to the # the poor.

I wonder if they would have donated to the help the poor banner.

I think not to many would.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Wo wo do not jump to conclusions, I live in an area where there are no pan handlers but when I do go to the city I always give 5 bucks to a homeless person I see. And I always give that 1 dollar to the cashier asking for a donation to United way.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by keenasbro

Hee hee, it's okay. I was doing laundry yesterday as well (how the hell does it breed so quickly?) so I know how it goes.
In a lot of ways, it could've been done better and I kind of like the idea of one on each street corner. Then it would show the same exact people reacting to one and ignoring the other. Would have had even more impact.

People regularly act over the top to things that offend them, even if the offense is indirect. I see that all the time and not just on this subject. It's apparently a heck of a lot easier to get mad than it is to feel bad. Kind of a weird quirk about people that I see time and time again.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Very powerfull vid! I always drop my spare change in a charity thing if they are asking, i also donate too Amnesty monthly from my bank, Im not sure how i would feel about giving a random guy with a random sign any more than a couple dollars though because he could easilly have just made that sign and belong to no charity and go use the money on himself for whatever reasons. Majority of the ones in my area are Salvation Army that shake their tins.. Although with larger charities like even Amnesty that i donate too i have to wonder with all the pointless junk mail they send to my house if my money is merely fuding that and im not actually making a change to human rights at all..

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Great video and great point. If you stand out there with a sign reading "F the poor", people will confront you and tell you what a cold hearted bastard you are or thinking that way.

If you actually do something to HELP the poor however, they ignore you or, if they act in an official capacity, they may arrest you for feeding the poor or not having a license to collect money.

It seems most people would rather argue than actually do something to help someone in need.

new topics

top topics

join