It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Keep Raw Meat From Contaminating Surfaces

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by RammerJammer

I realize I was not very clear... lol I meant to use the ice cold technique to help meat defrost a bit faster... sorry for the mess.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Bilk22
Oh a quick way to defrost without using heat is to get yourself a slab of marble or granite, unless you have a counter surface that's either, and put the frozen piece of meat on it. You can keep it loosely wrapped in plastic wrap for this if you like. It will defrost rather quickly but it's obviously dependent upon the thickness of the cut.

Thanks for the tip. I had never heard of that.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I'm guessing the OP has left the thread. I hope he's not boiling more plastic. I will say that if are going to boil your meat in plastic,you might as well eat the plastic too.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

NowanKenubi

I realize I was not very clear... lol I meant to use the ice cold technique to help meat defrost a bit faster... sorry for the mess.

Yes. If you are using water to defrost meat, use cold water. As some people have mentioned in this thread that they have used hot or warm water. If you let the meat get to warm it encourages the growth of bacteria. Especially the larger the cut of meat, the exterior will be absorbing the heat while the interior will still be frozen.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

RammerJammer
I'm guessing the OP has left the thread. I hope he's not boiling more plastic. I will say that if are going to boil your meat in plastic,you might as well eat the plastic too.
Well it was for to good of culinary kind that we set the record straight LOL

All the talk about food made me realize how hungry I was so I grilled up a really nice Angus burger in a pan (rare of course) with some fried eggs over easy
Oh also had a spring mix salad with fresh strawberries, Persian cucumbers, pignolis and a vinaigrette I made. Yummy and no real carbs

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

This was my first thought also.

By the way, are you British? Boiling meat?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I'm more scared of the endocrine disruptors in the plastic than the bacteria on the meat. I'll stick to what I do, I make sure I clean up the area where I work on the meat well, and do not use the area where we process veggies we eat raw for working with meat. I do go through a lot of paper towel, hand towels in the kitchen do not work well either. Wiping ones hand on a hand towel after handling meats or other veggies just makes a breeding ground for the bacteria because it has a moist place to grow.

Most bacteria is not a problem, even the dangerous bacteria only hurt us if we have a weakened immune system. Some people live symbiotically with bacteria that others cannot tolerate. We can smell the excretions of the bacteria we cannot tollerate and avoid these people. Perfumes and colognes and also some deodorants cover up our sense of detecting bacteria that are a threat to us. Then we get exposed to the bacteria instead of being repelled from the excretions. This makes some people get sick.

We live in a very deceptive society nowadays. Nobody can tolerate constant exposure to every kind of bacteria. We have created a very susceptible society to spread of disease. We cannot hang around with others that have a bacterial flora that we have no immunity to. This is disregarded by most, covering up the scent we naturally have on us. Well, it is good for the medical industry, they can sell more antihistamines and medicines to treat infections. Not everyone can be friends, the bacteria and fungi living symbiotically with us will cause us to not get along with others. This does not make any person better than the other, just different. Many times the people laughing about the other person getting sick all the time is causing the sickness.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

soulpowertothendegree
One of the biggest dangers of cooking with raw meat is having the blood or fat or liquid of any kind escaping the package and contaminating the kitchen area.

I could name about 50 more dangerous situations that could happen in kitchens.

Sorry, but your solutions, however kind and optimist, are almost totally counter productive towards good tasting and healthy cooking.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

PLEASE PROMISE ME YOU WON'T DO THAT ANYMORE!!!!!

As some one who has spent their life working in kitchens 4* and 5* I am warning you that you are causeing more harm then good to your self. The packaging (styrofoam/plastic wrap) has dangerous chemicals that will leech into the meat when they are heated up.

NEVER DO THAT UNLESS YOU WANT TO INGEST THAT STUFF.

This is what a professional would do.

I would clear my sink, sanitise it, then place my meat in a dry sink and open the package and take the meat out there. The you can transfer the meat to a dish for seasoning or what ever.

If you need to cut your meat make sure you have a seperate cutting board. It is best to have different colour cutting boards. For example I have 3 cutting boards blue for Veg, pink for meat and white as a spare. Doing so reduces the risk of cross contamination.

Also one must remember pathagins and bacteria thrive at warmer temperatures. Make sure you meat DOES NOT get warmer the 32 degrees F. At warmer temperatures above 32f the number pathagins and bacteria doubles every 15 -20mins of being exposed to room temperatures.

If you for what ever reason dont want to use your sink to open meat, buy a small plastic basin so you can have a more portable option. That is another pro tip (make sure you sanitise it first inside and out)

Please dont do that anymore you will slowly kill your self by boiling meat in plastic and styrofoam as it is not designed for that purpose. I wish i seen this earlier beacuse this is such a bad Idea and I am trying to warn you for your own safety.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

TDawgRex

I've been mindlessly doing your process for years. Never really gave that much thought to it. But I switched to Pyrex after everything about BPA came out.

But you are right, it does work very well. Kind of cool how you broke down everything. You have a career in front of you as a lawyer or engineer.

To every one who is complaining about "Boiling a steak". Letting a frozen steak sitting in a sealed container set in 165 degrees for 5 minutes is not boiling it. It's just a speedy manner to defrost it.
edit on 9-4-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

I can tell you know nothing about cooking. most of the people who are saying its a bad Idea are people with training in the trade of cooking. you will never see that in a real kitchen as it is a sure fire way to get shutdown. It is very dangerous to let the meat sit in a package of 165 degree plastic and styrofoam. The microscopic gases and particals released by the plastic and styrofoam will saturate the meat and the get absorbed into the meat just like a good marinate. Have you ever wondered why the pakage puffs out when doing that? Its not just steam.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

snypwsd

TDawgRex

I've been mindlessly doing your process for years. Never really gave that much thought to it. But I switched to Pyrex after everything about BPA came out.

But you are right, it does work very well. Kind of cool how you broke down everything. You have a career in front of you as a lawyer or engineer.

To every one who is complaining about "Boiling a steak". Letting a frozen steak sitting in a sealed container set in 165 degrees for 5 minutes is not boiling it. It's just a speedy manner to defrost it.

I can tell you know nothing about cooking. most of the people who are saying its a bad Idea are people with training in the trade of cooking. you will never see that in a real kitchen as it is a sure fire way to get shutdown. It is very dangerous to let the meat sit in a package of 165 degree plastic and styrofoam. The microscopic gases and particals released by the plastic and styrofoam will saturate the meat and the get absorbed into the meat just like a good marinate. Have you ever wondered why the pakage puffs out when doing that? Its not just steam.

And I can see that you know nothing about reading comprehension either. No where did I mention Styrofoam, I never use that crap. Nor did I say I use plastic. I use Pyrex. Everything in my kitchen is glass or stainless steel.

But drive on Gordon Ramsey!

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

gloves are not used just for the purpose of keeping hands "clean" . hands are incredibily dirty. your hands could potentially have as much or more pathagins on them then the food yoyr handling. Thats why professional cooks constantly wash their hands.

Gloves are extremly helpful when you dont want cross contamination as you can always change gloves before touching another product which inturn DOES help prevent cross contamination.

Also if you are using utensils and you have to put them down for some reason. grab a plate or dish/container to place them on/in to prevent contamination.

If you want to know anything just ask one of us. Im obviously not the only professional here... All of us who said its a bad idea are only trying to warn you for your sake. we are not making fun, we just physically have to warn people when they are doing something wrong in a kitchen.

I want you to stick around as long as possible, just think about it as pro tips for good health. If you want to get some helpful tips go to google and look for a free pdf of FoodSafe level one. You will learn so much. Here in bc it is maditory for even dishwasher to have. you dont need the course just read the book you will learn things that will change the way you cook and even arrange your kitchen, it wouldnt hurt to educate your self on the subject.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

TDawgRex

snypwsd

TDawgRex

And I can see that you know nothing about reading comprehension either. No where did I mention Styrofoam, I never use that crap. Nor did I say I use plastic. I use Pyrex. Everything in my kitchen is glass or stainless steel.

But drive on Gordon Ramsey!

Does not matter if it stainless or glass. Putting raw meat in lukewarm or hot water is bad. With a very young or older person you could easily kill them. Yes you may have not had any problems with it so far, but that's the same thing many people that I know that smoke cigarettes say. Listen to people that are trained to cook and work in commercial kitchens. This isn't about my way is better than your way. It's about how to properly handle food. If you don't believe what people are telling you please look it up online. In fact as another poster mentioned you should read up on food safety. If you enjoy cooking you will probably enjoy learning more about food.

I've study cooking my entire life. I've gone to culinary school in 3 countries. I learn more each day.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

And again. I don't put meat in water, unless I'm making a broth. I speed defrost by putting the container that the meat is in (sealed) in the water in a clean sink. Water never touches it and it's not boiling either.

Fer cripes sake! I already apologized for mis-reading the OP post.

But then again, I also think a little bacteria is good for us. I believe it strengthens the immune system. (I just know I'm going to get blasted for that one
)

No one has ever gotten sick off my cooking. But there are plenty of lawsuits out there because of restaurants who have supposed professionals preparing food making people ill.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Indigent

intrptr

Washing ones hands and a little lysol go a long way, too.

Its not wise to use antibacterials for common things like this, you may create resistance in bacterias to the active compound.

Bacteria don't create a resistance to Lysol like they do to anti-bacterial agents. Lysol acts in a chemical manner rather than a metabolic manner when it kills bacteria. They can get around the metabolic stuff. Figuring out how to get around the chemical stuff is much, much different.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   

TDawgRex

And again. I don't put meat in water, unless I'm making a broth. I speed defrost by putting the container that the meat is in (sealed) in the water in a clean sink. Water never touches it and it's not boiling either.

Fer cripes sake! I already apologized for mis-reading the OP post.

But then again, I also think a little bacteria is good for us. I believe it strengthens the immune system. (I just know I'm going to get blasted for that one
)

No one has ever gotten sick off my cooking. But there are plenty of lawsuits out there because of restaurants who have supposed professionals preparing food making people ill.

Your not listening. It has nothing to do with touching the water. It's about defrosting at an unsafe temp.

m.wikihow.com...

www.fsis.usda.gov... ing-methods-for-consumers/

answers.yahoo.com...

Understand, don't put frozen meat in a warm environment to thaw. It's really simple. Thaw in the fridge. Take a basic cooking class.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
the op's last visit was: Apr, 11 2014
and his last post was in this thread on: 5 Apr, 9 2014 @ 9:20 am
this is the last thread he made, he has had plenty of time to see all the replies and choose not to respond to them.

i think this thread is a great example of something, you really cant ever change someones mind, they have to choose to change their own mind, you can only present information that aids them in making that decision, if they are not already set on making such decision, then no amount of "everyone disagrees with you" or "endless amount of scientific source material proving your wrong" will change your mind,

certainly the op is still boiling his meat in plastic, and has given up on his own thread, because there was too many people in the thread telling him its a bad idea for numerous reasons, and to many posts containing scientific evidence of WHY its a bad idea, he could no longer argue with the logic, and resolved to quit the thread, to continue living as he has already chosen too, without having to witness and combat this disagreeance.

this fact is why i very quickly gave up on adamantly replying to threads, when i started on this site i'd argue my 'opinion' to the bitter end, but this lesson right here i quickly learned, and thus i have given up on the effort to ever convince someone, if they are inquisitive then you have someone interested in deciding their own mind, if they are combative and argumentative then their mind is already made up and nothing you say will change it, so dont waste your energy and breath on them. let them learn their lessons the hard way.

edit on 4/11/14 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Like some others in this thread, i strongly disagree with OP.

Couple things to notice:

afaik,

a) WOOD is antibacterial. Common, perhaps ancient knowledge? Always use wooden cutting boards.
b) Processed food (anything you buy from stores) is always packaged with "protective gas", i would not try to heat (and merge) the gas with the food. Generally, any food tastes noticeably better when left alone for de-gassing for some time before cooking.
c) Like others have said, it is not wise to heat the plastic package at all.

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if food-industry uses the packaging gas in every western country, but i believe so.

I would be rather worried about the fact, what industry is feeding to the cattle. Dead parts, any1?

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Any chef or person who knows how to cook will tell you that it's best to let meat warm to room temperature before cooking it.

Meat doesn't spoil in an hour.. Last night I left two New York Strips out on the counter for an hour, they were about as tender as you could as for.

With a name like "butcherguy" one would assume you knew something about how to prepare a steak...

Oh sh**! Some science!

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 12-4-2014 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join