It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arrested for Preaching the "Word of God"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Thanks OtherSide...it just shows that freedom of speech isnt respected everywhere. A shame...

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I don't know, he may have been one of the three people who called the police - it kind of looks like a set up. And I think if you intentionally set out trying to get martyred, then it's suicide, not martyrdom.

That is, I don't think you're supposed to intentionally provoke your enemy to act unjustly towards you. However, if your intent is to do something else, and that subsequently provokes them to act unjustly towards you, then that is their injustice, not yours.

As for his rights to preach - yes, he should have the right to preach, but I do not agree that shouting is synonymous with preaching.

(post by seabhac-rua removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

LightningStrikesHere

seabhac-rua
Well I for one have many times in the past felt like walking up to one of these 'preachers' and taking the microphone out of their hands and throwing it in a bin.

What annoys me is that if this guy was a Muslim preacher there would be bloody war if the cops arrested him.

Really? A bloody war? ....little extreme buddy...

I am Muslim & if this happen to me i would simply move on . I don't know how it is in the UK ,but here in the USA the majority of Muslims don't go put and "preach" as you put it ...

At least none that i have seen , i had to go out searching to the local masjid to find answers ...

Just saying

No, not extreme at all.

It's different in Europe, believe me.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

DenyFlatulence
reply to post by ~Lucidity

all the police were doing really was asking him not to shout and he didn't feel like complying.

The question is, whether he had the legal right to be annoying.
I feel that he did. Granted I'm not at all familiar with Scottish laws..
edit on 29-3-2014 by DenyFlatulence because: (no reason given)

Oh please. What does the law and legality have to do with people being rude to others?

It's obnoxious people like this who force other people to pass more stupid laws. If you're talking about rights? Same thing.

Not everything is a constitutional or "god-given" right. Some things are plain old civility and gracious behavior.

Keep making a big whoop about every little thing and soon we'll have laws for everything because people are just morons. And won't that be lovely?
edit on 3/29/2014 by ~Lucidity because: rights...not right

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by seabhac-rua

Now to be fair, he was not using microphone.

Where I live these guys have mikes and amplifiers, at the kind of volume that'll wake a sleeping baby a couple of blocks away. I used to busk in my city centre, and these 'preachers' are nothing but a bloody nuisance, to put it mildly, nobody likes them or wants to have their version of reality blared into their ears as they're going about their day.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

seabhac-rua

LightningStrikesHere

seabhac-rua
Well I for one have many times in the past felt like walking up to one of these 'preachers' and taking the microphone out of their hands and throwing it in a bin.

What annoys me is that if this guy was a Muslim preacher there would be bloody war if the cops arrested him.

Really? A bloody war? ....little extreme buddy...

I am Muslim & if this happen to me i would simply move on . I don't know how it is in the UK ,but here in the USA the majority of Muslims don't go put and "preach" as you put it ...

At least none that i have seen , i had to go out searching to the local masjid to find answers ...

Just saying

No, not extreme at all.

It's different in Europe, believe me.

Ill take your word for it , but ill also contact some brothers in UK to ask them their take on the situation .

They way i see it (religion aside) if anyone is wronged by any type of law enforcement regardless of situation ,they should stand up and fight ! .

Now bringing religion back into this convo.
Muslims who have issues with the law in a "non Muslim " (meaning islamic law based ) country should ,simply put......LEAVE ! and go to a country that support all aspects of ISLAM. This has been ruled upon many times over , along with respecting other country's LAWS ,unless otherwise oppressed ....and i don't believe Muslims are oppressed in the UK

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

~Lucidity

DenyFlatulence
reply to post by ~Lucidity

all the police were doing really was asking him not to shout and he didn't feel like complying.

The question is, whether he had the legal right to be annoying.
I feel that he did. Granted I'm not at all familiar with Scottish laws..
edit on 29-3-2014 by DenyFlatulence because: (no reason given)

Oh please. What does the law and legality have to do with people being rude to others?

It's obnoxious people like this who force other people to pass more stupid laws. If you're talking about rights? Same thing.

Not everything is a constitutional or "god-given" right. Some things are plain old civility and gracious behavior.

Keep making a big whoop about every little thing and soon we'll have laws for everything because people are just morons. And won't that be lovely?
edit on 3/29/2014 by ~Lucidity because: rights...not right

While I agree wholeheartedly that we should not be rude and uncivil to one another, in this case the law had very much to do with a thing that shouldn't be concerning the law.
Would you please go back and read your second sentence? "force people to pass more stupid laws"????? Seriously?
It's not illegal to be annoying---if so all the prisons in the world would be overflowing.
You know what annoys me---stinky people who come to the doctor's office smelling like they haven't bathed in a week or so and sitting beside me causing me to become nauseous. Or people who bathe in perfume or aftershave and come into the bus and sit beside me and clog up my sinuses. Or people who pull up beside me at red lights with vulgar music blaring from their speakers at volumes that literally shake my car? What about those annoying bicyclists who stand on the street corners and shout their "Climate Change" gospel to passersby? Should they be arrested and taken away to jail?
I'm certainly not a religious person but I am a person who believes in freedom, especially of speech, yes, speech with which I disagree. I can disagree, I can walk away. What's so hard about that? Why would anyone waste a copper's time with such a trivial matter?

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

I don't think Muslims are oppressed in the UK either, but those who criticise Islam are deemed as racist. Where I'm from you can criticise any religion you like, except Islam. I'm not trying to say that a religious belief system automatically deserves to be criticised, but it is true that religious beliefs systems are not exempt from criticism.

The PC brigade have ran amok here, the issue has become dreadfully polarised, I feel that those most affected negatively are ordinary law abiding Muslims.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Well I am definitely not religious and street preachers are annoying as hell almost as bad as people knocking on my door on Saturdays to pass out religious literature but I am not for restricting free speech. Now from what I can tell he did not get arrested so I am not sure about his rights being violated and there is an issue of him being an annoyance to potential customers which IMO is probably the real case. I am willing to bet that if he moved his act to another area where businesses didn't mind or where there were no businesses to disrupt then the police wouldn't get involved.

It seems to e the guy wanted to be detained and make a scene. If he had given the officer a chance to talk then things may have gone different, but he was pretty rude by cutting her off continually. I guess it all hinged on the fact that there were complaints against him and his unwillingness to comply. From my understanding if the other street performers had complaints against them at that point the police would become involved as well.

All things said though I will say this. Those officers were pretty soft spoken and nice you will not get kid gloves like that here in the US.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Christian Voice

Well, I tell you what. Anytime you want to try it, you are welcome to come and try to take the microphone out of my hand. It would not end well for you. I'm not one of those turn the other cheek kinda Christians.

My initial response to you was removed due to bad manners, so, let me put it this way, I would love to take the mike out of your hand, and believe me mate it's you who things wouldn't end well for.

You're not a Christian.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
smacks of prejudice all right. notice they didn't say boo to the heckler who is almost at the same volume as him. also it would seem that there were other things going on making noise but they didn't get a complaint about them so no problem, that right there should scream prejudice. otherwise they would have gone after everyone making noise at that level. not to mention prejudice on from those who made the calls in the first place, if they were not complaining about the others than it should be obvious that their real issue was with what he was saying, not the volume of it, or they would have complained equally about the others as well.

you know i do find street preachers annoying, (even worse when they do it on a bus), just as annoying as buskers, and crazy people yelling, not to mention some of the ultra loud music some stores play outside their shops. but you know what? not ONCE have i ever considered calling the cops. heck where i am right now there is even karaoke (and why is it the worst singers are also the loudest singers), in the middle of the night from a few blocks away, which is rather loud, i still don't think of calling the cops. i just do as person who is not a jerk does and ignore it, it's not like it's going to hurt me. in fact the only times i have been even tempted to call the cops over noise is when i lived around where they held the stupid carabana parade/event. even tho it was several blocks away, and across a major highway the volume was still at ear piercing. but i never bothered, just easier to turn up the volume of my stuff to tune it out. i had neighbors that did try to complain about it, only to be told they should not be so racist, it was only for a day or two, and not behave like children towards a city sponsored event.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
If he was neutral in his God saves message then
there would not have been a problem. (and I'm not babtist ect.)
The problem was he was very biased, saying Jesus was not
the messiah but God himself.
I can see how that would offended people, especially as
the bible says contrary to what he was saying.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

That's the way it works where I live, if a busker or street performer is too loud, causing an obstruction or generally putting off potential customers from the premises he/she is standing outside of then the management of that shop or whatever usually call the police, who will move the person on, an arrest will rarely if ever happen.

This guy looks to me like he just wants to provoke, "in the name of the Lord".

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

It does seem like he purposely provoked the situation to its outcome which the cameras being there were probably planned to record it.

There are those that do such so they can claim their faith is being persecuted but in reality it is their mouth that is being prosecuted.

IMO it was a completely avoidable outcome.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Grimpachi

There are those that do such so they can claim their faith is being persecuted but in reality it is their mouth that is being prosecuted.

Word.

So true it almost has religious overtones

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

sheepslayer247

I don't know who is right on this one and will have to think on it for a bit.
edit on 29-3-2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

what If it was someone expounding anything other than religion?

or is it all forms of peaceful freedom of speech you are unsure of?

every concept might 'bother' someone, is that now our bar for censorship?

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

If you've got a half an hour to waste(well the first 15 minutes) and feel like a laugh, the first bunch of hecklers are from Galway, and when they start chanting the American preacher guy thinks they're shouting "GO AWAY". This is a typical saturday night atmosphere in Temple Bar Dublin.

edit on 30-3-2014 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   

That was pretty funny. Once his amplification was gone it fizzled but the real funny part was how he was like man I really had a crowd going. They then go rat out anyone else who has amplification. Tipical.

I really want to go to Ireland I have been seeing deals online to go, but I haven't looked up where to go or costs while staying. Getting there is no problem. Maybe I will go ahead and book a flight next week. Just do it.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Well, to be frank, this is over in the UK. There's whole sections of various cities where it's dangerous to walk because of Muslim men that will enforce Sharia and beat you if they catch you with a beer over there, but if you speak up about this or talk about deporting such people from the country, you will be deemed to be inciting racial hatred and possibly arrested.

Now, the EDL is a bit too extreme for my taste, but they do have decent points.

My point in all of this is that the UK is obsessed with being PC to the point that it makes even the most radical of U.S. progressives look like children from everything I've seen and heard, and preaching Christianity is definitely not PC.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join