It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSNBC loses another 1/4 of its viewers... is the Mainstream Media in decline?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by madmac5150

Yes more and more people are getting not just the news, but the entire gambit of media solely from the Internet.
However, all MSNBC does is bitch about Fox News and other conservative outlets- it's pathetic and annoying. Plus Obama has been such a terrible disappointment to his supporters and MSNBC has been frantically grasping at straws to defend him, but even Obama supporters/dems/liberals are waking up from their delusion...
The fact is, MSNBC's desperation is the only thing about the Obama administration that's transparent.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

In my opinion the main stream media has been dead since after the election of Obama. It seems as if they sold their soul to the devil.

When you spend all of your time toeing the line (in this case stepping completely over the line) you become untrustworthy. Now one pays attention to someone or something that cant be trusted. There has been no honesty in news coverage for decades. The ones that are honest are simply put to sleep. I wont name names, but you get my drift.
edit on 27-3-2014 by Diisenchanted because: fixed

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I think television is dying (may be a bit dire so in trouble might be better used there) - but the MSM is alive and well on the WWW (a blessing and a curse IMO) - and no one is getting off that without being forced lol. A lot of MSM material comes through this very site even. It's pretty alive I think.
edit on 27-3-2014 by Floydshayvious because: boop

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Floydshayvious

The MSM died for me a long time ago. I will watch local news, but even that is getting annoying lately. They never get the weather right either.

I will check the multitude of news sources out here on the interwebs, but if it is video only...I shut it off and move on.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
IMO, MSNBC died in 2002... The shift change ruined them.. and headline news was the bomb in the late 80s and early 90s, but its crap now..

And a quick rant. These overlays MSNBC, FOX and CNN use take up about 30% of the dang screen... They should be more like (ugh) Al Jazeera's overlays.. tiny ticker, with logo. done.

Watching both Fox and CNN, seeing each slanting their views--when the news SHOULD be unbiased, but these days, they are debasing themselves for ratings...

I watch both CNN, FOX, and then BBC and (ugh, yes) Al Jazeera. mostly because they cover serious news stories the US doesn't cover. Then I make up my mind. (also check the net for news).

The news should not be about ratings. It should be about informing people with FACTS, Unbiased Reporting, and not "did the plane fly into a black hole". lol..

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I'm probably going to do a thread on this at some point, as it's something we're looking at in my journalism course. However, the loss of all MSM isn't good. Not good at all.

I first thought a bit different or was indifferent, but not so much. It's not media that has been the problem, it's been the systematic and near total consolidation of media, down to daily newspaper level, to just a half dozen or so companies between TV, Print and Digital.

Local looks similar to National because in many cases, it's all produced from a central location and dispatched out to subsidiary companies within the organization. Not the myriad of independent and competitive news organizations and companies which existed not that long ago.

When all that is gone (and the layoffs and bankruptcies are ongoing and don't look good for slowing), online sites will have a tough time finding news ..when no one is actually "there" to physically see the news. Realistically, a large % online at this stage is reporting each other's things in different ways ...but the original sources still need to be there.

It's a complex thing the more I've been learning about it.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
It would be nice to find the decline is due to people being more conscious, and realizing that it is entertainment more than an objective informational medium where all of the facts are forthcoming. There has been a huge decline in trust with people I know who rarely tune in. It became clear many years ago that the platform was being exploited to push agendas. FOX was popular for awhile due to the "fair and balanced" thing but it doesn't live up to that rhetoric.

Reasons IMO:
Other sources - where people can discuss the news and dig deeper - with feedback.
Why put up with commercials when you don't have to.
The glitz of it all - phony and so staged it's difficult to get past that.
Agendas - they choose where the emphasis is placed and the viewer has to be in a passive position and accept as is.
Limited stories - get way more news on sites like this.
Political stuff is overwhelming - there "are" more important things than Obama playing golf - what about the people.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

This is part 1 of 3 from the 1976 July 5th ABC News Broadcast. It contains the commercials that aired.
    • Henry Reasoner uses the word "terrorist".
    • The Report is almost like a History lesson on the Entebbe Raid.
    • He gives operational details including transportation, casualties, and troop numbers.

I think Henry Reasoner accidentally laid out the earliest precedent for the definition of terrorist.
Most of the report would probably be classified these days.
The commercials are transparent in their emotionality and appeal to pioneering (which was all the rage back then).

I have found no news, these days, that delves either into the definitions of terrorism, the case histories, or the precedents. And when ever people start asking those questions the answers quickly get swallowed by the newest crisis.

Caller question: Exactly what is "Terrorism"?
Valley Girl voice: "like oh-muh-gawd a plane from Malaysia is missing."
Caller: But what is "Terrorism", can you define it?
Valley Girl voice: I know right! It must be terrorists. Can you help me find the plane!?

But that is not the real reason that Television is dead.

In the early 2000's the nielsen ratings reported a strange finding for the new Fall-Line-Up. No one was watching. Advertising rates are charged by the potential viewership that a show has. And suddenly none of them had any viewers to speak of. Where had all the viewers gone? Well ... they were all online playing games with people all over the world, and free from any of the mental tyranny of advertisers.

For a brief moment, the Internet was a sanctuary away from advertisers.
This ended around 2006 (Google buys Youtube, Facebook open to everyone.).

Presently the entire internet has been hijacked by Advertisers, Advertising, and data mining.

What these self justifying mega corporations refuse to understand is that We The People hate them. They destroy everything they touch. Families, Food, housing. Everything.

We _would have_ watched television, if we could stomach the commercials anymore. And people are beginning to hate the internet for the same reason. It is infected with adds. When is the last time anyone clicked on a youtube video and didn't have 30 seconds of their life sucked away by the vampiric adds.

The poorly coded, buggy, internet-experience-destroying adds.

Lately even the few hit shows on Cable, are really just rehashing the stories that people were living in the early era of online-gaming. Game of thrones, Walking Dead; people were having clan wars and zombie mods a decade before these shows. Online, and advertising free.

Advertising destroyed Television. And like a parasite that has to find a new host, because it killed the last one, now they are destroying the internet. Facebook is the case study in this epidemic.

Facebook has succeeded in only one thing. It has created an environment where I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR FROM MY OWN MOTHER BECAUSE HER MESSAGE COMES WITH GORRAM ADVERTISMENTS. They, Zuckerberg and co., have spread their infectious poison inside the family circle.

The TV is dead.
The internet is dying.
I just heard that the future (Oculus Rift) has already sold out to the same evil forces.

... and we still don't have a definition of "terrorism" that the talking heads and pundits all agree on.

Mike Grouchy
edit on 28-3-2014 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
No surprise really due to the advances in this information age. MSM, bought and paid for administration influence, had it coming as well due to their agenda campaigns that were very shameful, namely as of late. Surely the MSM will find some kind of blame other than their own influence and the changing of how information is shared. Can see it now "Alt media" and social media is filled with "kooky conspiracies" is a new "damning trend" in "false" media!
The bigger factor is to what percentage, if it matter much anyway, is due to social media or people finally figuring out that mainstream news is filled with agenda and sensationalism. Would it be that it's most likely, as it would seem so, due to social media as opposed to watching news for an hour plus waiting through commercials for a breaking story when it's already being shared...tweeted. Now the raw news can be shared on a time-line as opposed to having to wait for a spun report.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

mikegrouchy

This is part 1 of 3 from the 1976 July 5th ABC News Broadcast. It contains the commercials that aired.
    • Henry Reasoner uses the word "terrorist".
    • The Report is almost like a History lesson on the Entebbe Raid.
    • He gives operational details including transportation, casualties, and troop numbers.

I think Henry Reasoner accidentally laid out the earliest precedent for the definition of terrorist.
Most of the report would probably be classified these days.
The commercials are transparent in their emotionality and appeal to pioneering (which was all the rage back then).

I have found no news, these days, that delves either into the definitions of terrorism, the case histories, or the precedents. And when ever people start asking those questions the answers quickly get swallowed by the newest crisis.

Caller question: Exactly what is "Terrorism"?
Valley Girl voice: "like oh-muh-gawd a plane from Malaysia is missing."
Caller: But what is "Terrorism", can you define it?
Valley Girl voice: I know right! It must be terrorists. Can you help me find the plane!?

But that is not the real reason that Television is dead.

In the early 2000's the nielsen ratings reported a strange finding for the new Fall-Line-Up. No one was watching. Advertising rates are charged by the potential viewership that a show has. And suddenly none of them had any viewers to speak of. Where had all the viewers gone? Well ... they were all online playing games with people all over the world, and free from any of the mental tyranny of advertisers.

For a brief moment, the Internet was a sanctuary away from advertisers.
This ended around 2006 (Google buys Youtube, Facebook open to everyone.).

Presently the entire internet has been hijacked by Advertisers, Advertising, and data mining.

What these self justifying mega corporations refuse to understand is that We The People hate them. They destroy everything they touch. Families, Food, housing. Everything.

We _would have_ watched television, if we could stomach the commercials anymore. And people are beginning to hate the internet for the same reason. It is infected with adds. When is the last time anyone clicked on a youtube video and didn't have 30 seconds of their life sucked away by the vampiric adds.

The poorly coded, buggy, internet-experience-destroying adds.

Lately even the few hit shows on Cable, are really just rehashing the stories that people were living in the early era of online-gaming. Game of thrones, Walking Dead; people were having clan wars and zombie mods a decade before these shows. Online, and advertising free.

Advertising destroyed Television. And like a parasite that has to find a new host, because it killed the last one, now they are destroying the internet. Facebook is the case study in this epidemic.

Facebook has succeeded in only one thing. It has created an environment where I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR FROM MY OWN MOTHER BECAUSE HER MESSAGE COMES WITH GORRAM ADVERTISMENTS. They, Zuckerberg and co., have spread their infectious poison inside the family circle.

The TV is dead.
The internet is dying.
I just heard that the future (Oculus Rift) has already sold out to the same evil forces.

... and we still don't have a definition of "terrorism" that the talking heads and pundits all agree on.

Mike Grouchy
edit on 28-3-2014 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

This is why i gave your post a star. I fncking hate (yes i said hate) advertisements. Everytime i watch a youtube video (whether it be AJ, or YongYea, or even stormcloudsgathering) i always run into these 30 sec ads. and everytime i go on another forum site like gamefaqs i run into more ads like these match dot com sites some other bull$hit ad. Thank you! You just took the words outa my mouth.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Lately I have been noticing two things when I talked to friends, relatives, and co-workers in the real world:

1. Those in their late 30's - late 40's are either misinformed or completely uninformed about what's going on in the world. They stick mainly to reading and watching the local news with the most popular being the local Fox station.

2. Those in their 20's and the ones in college get their info from social media and shows such as Daily Show and Colbert Report.

3. Public places around here (i.e. McDonald's) now keep their tv tuned to HLN network

4. People like myself have an HD tv and HD cable box and keep their settings on HD channels. The big MSM networks aren't offered in HD and I have no idea what channel they are because it means changing my settings to find them. It's much faster to find news online than to find CNN on my tv.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by halfpint0701

Those in their late 30's - late 40's are either misinformed or completely uninformed about what's going on in the world. They stick mainly to reading and watching the local news with the most popular being the local Fox station.

Help me out here.

What, exactly, is "going on in the world" that viewers of mainstream media are unaware of?

Russia/Ukraine? Malaysia #370? Dead bankers? GMOs? NSA and other government spying? Venezuela? Syria? Turkey? Corruption in the Vatican? Extreme weather?

I've seen stories on 'em all on either ABC or NBC News in the recent past (I switched from watching ABC to NBC about a month ago.)

Now, if you want to say that there's a dearth of stories about alien abductions, HAARP, chemtrails and other assorted fringe topics, I'd agree, but I'd hardly say such absence leaving one "completely uninformed about what's going on in the world".

If you want to say that they're covering a subject, like Snowden, but not covering it to your satisfaction, then we're back to the whole "bias" thing -- like Snowden? Watch a network that does, too. Hate Snowden? Watch a network that does, too.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

What, exactly, is "going on in the world" that viewers of mainstream media are unaware of?

Good question,deserves its own thread.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse

Good question,deserves its own thread.
i will start with the obvious dumbing down of the populace,the mass poisoning of the populace,the distruction of freedom, basically the enslavement of mankind.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

As in people who watch the local news not even being aware that there was even a situation going on between Russia and the Ukraine or that Crimea was part of the Ukraine and not it's own country. Or how about it was 2 weeks into the protests in Thailand before people first heard about it and asked me about it (my mom is from Thailand and I have A LOT of family there). My favorite is the number of people who didn't know there was a deadline for Obamacare signups and that the deadline was extended.

These are all examples from people who watch the news every morning, yet it's impossible to have a conversation about current world events with them.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by halfpint0701

My favorite is the number of people who didn't know there was a deadline for Obamacare signups and that the deadline was extended.

These are all examples from people who watch the news every morning, yet it's impossible to have a conversation about current world events with them.

Frankly, that says more about Ohio, or the people you talk to, than it does anything about the media.

The local channel that I watch had a bit this morning about extensions to MNSure (the Minnesota health care signup -- story here) and here's a story that NBC News ran two days ago:

First Thoughts: Obamacare Deadline Extended, Again

Just because the mainstream media covers something doesn't mean that people are paying attention. As I said, I've not seen any significant national or international story of late that hasn't at least received a mention on the national or local mainstream media news.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

That's why I made sure to state these were things that I have personally noticed and did not make a blanket statement about all local news stations. Forgive me for chiming in on the way things are where I live.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:55 AM
link   
My thought on this is that the MSM has been beaten at it's own game.

First we had the idea of 24 hour news networks. They were horribly repetitive and prone to error with the desire to get a story out and follow it up later with corrected reporting. After that we got our current product of entertainment news. The news no longer seeks to inform, it seeks to entertain by appealing to political leanings. Now when people watch the news they don't seek actual journalism but rather they seek a validation of their own beliefs, and the news media gives it to them. This worked for the news for awhile but now we have social media. Instead of getting validation from a tv show, a person in a social network can grab a tweet of a story, use that for validation, and then proceed to use this validation to tell everyone around them that they're right (usually to an echo chamber of similar opinions).

Because of this, no one actually needs to watch the news anymore. They're getting the same thing they watched the news for, in an improved form.

If the CNN's of the world want to fix this they need to go back to real journalism. Because with the internet any random blogger can make fluff that aligns with a persons position. Real reporting shouldn't be subject to a partisan split.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   
This is almost as bad as the millions of viewers that Fox and Rush Limbaugh have lost

MSNBC is still gaining on Fox

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

beezzer

Bottom line?

Everyone has an agenda. Don't let them tell you different.

amen amen amen

Every single person is biased myself included so I don't really feel like I trust news from anywhere these days...so where the heck can I go that doesn't include spin? -shrug-

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join