It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four eyed fish discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Four eyed fish discovered

Researchers have discovered a new species of fish with four eyes, giving it 360 degree vision. The silvery ‘Glasshead barreleye’ was discovered by German researchers in the Tasman Sea and can grow to 18cm in length.

The fish inhabits the murky depths between 800 to 1,000m and has two pairs of eyes, allowing it to spot danger from any angle.

Click link for remainder of article.

Harvested fresh from Lake Springfield and located in the heart of Chernobyl Farms.

We think we are so smart and yet we are reminded every day that we have not even begun to scratch the surface of our world around us.

1 set faces up to see predators and a mirror like set can detect bioluminescence from other sea creatures. I am curious if we are seeing a "transitional" species - IE eyes for deep deep use while also having eyes to see whats above them. I would assume (and someone correct me if I am wrong) since light does not extend all the way to the deepest parts of the ocean that the eyes that face up would depend on surface light filtering down.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Interesting, the fish has specialized sunglasses built into two of it's eyes.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Meh, that's nothing new.

The Incredible Mr. Limpet

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Great, more to cut out before I eat it.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Pffffffft...all mothers have eyes at the back of their heads

The part about different fish having eyes in different places and that other four-eyed fish with eyes all on top is pretty interesting too.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
There are actually several four eyed fish, although this is the first one I've heard of from the ocean.

The four-eyed fishes are a genus, Anableps, of fishes in the family Anablepidae. They have eyes raised above the top of the head and divided in two different parts, so that they can see below and above the water surface at the same time. Like their relatives, the onesided livebearers, four-eyed fishes only mate on one side, right-"handed" males with left-"handed" females and vice versa. These fish inhabit freshwater and brackishwater and are only rarely coastal marine. They originate from lowlands in southern Mexico to Honduras and northern South America.[1]

four eyed fish

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Evolution / species design / nature amazes me...

I wonder what it would be like actually having / processing a constant 360 view of the world. What kind of higher brain functions would be required to process that much information while at the same time identifying threats / non threats / food etc...

edit on 26-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Xcathdra

Evolution / species design / nature amazes me...

I wonder what it would be like actually having / processing a constant 360 view of the world. What kind of higher brain functions would be required to process that much information while at the same time identifying threats / non threats / food etc...

edit on 26-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

I would imagine that a great part of their brain would be dedicated to image processing.The visual cortex is more than likely huge. These fish were avalible in the aquarium hobby years ago.The fish can only mate right to left or left to right so the male and female must matchup in the correct direction.Kind of a wierd mating setup.

I knew somebody who bred these fish many years ago.They always had problems with the left right thing.These fish are livebearers like guppies.They are also jumpers so their tank must be well covered.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

The strangest things occur in nature where one would think Darwin's survival of the fittest would apply.

I am still trying to digest the 360 constant view.

Either way I for one welcome our new 4 eyed overlords.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Xcathdra

Either way I for one welcome our new 4 eyed overlords.

Lol, you'll have to come visit Australia or New Zealand to see them.

The Tasman sea is one of those antipodean curiosities
edit on 26-3-2014 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Wow cool find thanks for posting!
It amazes me what could live in the deep dark seas , anything could be hiding in them, we really have no idea.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Was going to mention this one. I saw one two weeks ago when I took my kids to the aquarium in New Orleans.

new topics

top topics

join