It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.4M Earthquake Strikes SoCal

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Centered inland in Westwood, CA. Is this the beginning of something more to come given the 6.9 that just struck off the coast of San Fransisco? Hopefully not. Stay safe.

Edit: Downgraded to a 4.4, still paralyzed me though. I am about 15 miles from the epicenter.
edit on 17-3-2014 by kushness because: Updated info

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Certainly feels that way....can't remember the last time a earth quake in the los angeles area actually was powerful enough to wake almost everyone up.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by kushness

I felt that one and now I'm on alert.

That was a huge jolt!

Eta
Local news said it was centered near Sepulveda and Mulholand.

Correction, epicenter was just changed to Encino.
edit on 3/17/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

kushness
Centered inland in Westwood, CA. Is this the beginning of something more to come given the 6.9 that just struck off the coast of San Fransisco? Hopefully not. Stay safe.

Last time I checked, san fran was not in Oregon..

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
It's earthquake season, expect more shaking in the next few months.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

bkaust

kushness

What? 6.9 Earthquake Rocks San Francisco

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
4.4, barely enough to shake the mud off my shoes.
edit on 17-3-2014 by shappy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

You're closer than me. I'm in Pasadena and that sucker hit hard!

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by shappy

Not sure where you're located but, if you've ever experienced an EQ in the past, you wouldn't be saying that. That was a hard jolt...not like the softer rolling EQs.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

ThePublicEnemyNo1
reply to post by shappy

Not sure where you're located but, if you've ever experienced an EQ in the past, you wouldn't be saying that. That was a hard jolt...not like the softer rolling EQs.

Yes I had a 4.5 whilst I was in bed one early morning LOTS miles away, my apartment bed shook, no big deal, and early morning or sleeping time is one of the most deadly times they can happen for obvious reasons.
edit on 17-3-2014 by shappy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
This one got me out of bed and I also felt the one on Friday that was a 4.0 in Castaic.

2 days 2 quakes....

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
That was a pretty powerful quake.. Woke me right up here in Santa Monica haha.
But the thing is the other night I dreamt I was in the Beverley Center and there was a huge earthquake. Not the first time my dreams have predicted something.
edit on 17-3-2014 by NightFlyer96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   

bkaust

kushness

it's ok...there are people back east that think Colorado is out west...even though it's 1000 miles inland from the Pacific ocean. that like saying Iowa is back east because it's also 1000 miles from the Atlantic ocean

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

That was a hard jolt…not like the softer rolling EQs.

That jolt you felt are the initial p waves that roll out from the epicenter like ripples on a pond from a stone tossed in. They pass by at supersonic speed on the surface and the feeling is associated with your dwelling being suddenly picked up and dropped-- "Bang".

The later deeper rolling waves follow on. I think those are called s waves (like motion on the ocean).

S and P earthquake waves defined
edit on 17-3-2014 by intrptr because: correction

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I was in my bathroom washing my hands and the strangest thing occurred seconds before that EQ hit. I felt a roll of energy go through my body just seconds before. It felt like being next to a huge speaker and feeling the sound waves emanating. Then Bang! I thought briefly for a second, "what the heck was that", then the quake hit.

Not sure if anyone else noticed that.

ETA
So, I guess I felt the P wave before the jolt? Just read your link.

Thanks for the info 👍
edit on 3/17/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Yeah, That was a pretty good shake, I was here in Santa Monica at the gym working out, I was nearly knocked off my treadmill LOL! That was a lot bigger shake than the other day, I hope this isn't a fore shock, like one of the ones we has here leading up to the '94 Northridge Quake. It was Mayhem for a while here after that one.

Namaste, Arjunanda

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by arjunanda

I think you'll be alright… for now. As long as the earth is moving in little fits an starts pressure on the plates is being relieved, not built up.

And if a bigger one was to kick off from the littler one it would have happened almost simultaneously (historically).

If the earth is moving thats a good thing. Smile, you have just survived an earthquake.

I am on the west coast too and I'll take those and the weather any day. Back east a ways they got every hell known to man, out here we got sun and rollers…

(shhh) keep it on the lowdown though we want the easterners to stay where they are.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Google Earth Picture of Epi Center
It's someones back yard. I bet that pool was sloshing.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

I was in my bathroom washing my hands and the strangest thing occurred seconds before that EQ hit. I felt a roll of energy go through my body just seconds before.

Actually, the way you just described that it may have been the "ESP" wave. The first physical wave to arrive is the P (or Primary) wave. It is the first physical sensation we experience.

Maybe you had a psychic experience just prior to that?

edit on 17-3-2014 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Yup, It woke me up and for some reason I thought it was "the one" but fortunately it wasn't...

Didn't sleep after that..

Eta: by the way, I live in the LA area, and it wasn't a smooth wave it was pretty intense. Got me right out of bed and into a survival instinct mode haha
edit on 17-3-2014 by PurpleVortex because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join