It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latest Fatwa - 'All You Can Eat Buffets Against Islamic Law'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
A restaurant offers an all you can eat buffet and people buy it. Basic economics and basic supply and demand. It's good business to offer them. It's also a good deal for many people. Welcome to 2014 Mr. Cleric. You are becoming obsolete. From the comments I'm seeing left by Muslims at news sites, I'm thinking this cleric is going to be mostly ignored.

Eat up me hearties YO HO!

Al Arabiya - Saudi Cleric Declares Open Buffets as Un Islamic

The cleric, Saleh al-Fawzan, recently issued a fatwa through a kingdom-based Quranic TV station prohibiting open buffets, saying that the value and quantity of what is sold should be pre-determined before it is purchased.

“Whoever enters the buffet and eats for 10 or 50 riyals without deciding the quantity they will eat is violating Sharia (Islamic) law,” said Fawzan on al-Atheer channel.

Using the Twitter hashtag “prohibiting-open-buffet” (in Arabic), some of the site’s users criticized Fawzan’s fatwa.

Saudi Cleric Issues Fatwa Banning All You Can Eat Buffets

Allah doesn’t want Muslims indulging in all-you-can-eat buffets.

At least that’s what Saudi cleric Saleh al-Fawzan says. On a Saudi Quranic TV station he issued a fatwa –or religious edict -- against the buffets saying dinners should pre-determine the value and quantity of the food to be eaten before buying it, reports Al Arabia.

Also covered by -

International Business Times

Huffington Post

Arabian Business Times - Viewer Comments

“I gather that marrying nine [year] olds [is] halal but sadly buffet meal is haram,” wrote one user, Bee Nish.

“In defiance of the Fatwa... my wife & I head to the breakfast buffet,” said user MooreLiberty.

"I wish one day some sane scholar will issue a fatwa against stupidity,” added another, Omair Aslam.

More on Saleh Al Fawzan

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Well. Hm.
While I do think that people overeat (and it shows), Why would anyone go to an all-you-can-eat buffet if they know they'll only eat one plate? I can't even eat an entire single meal from most restaurants. The portions are too big.

This just seems really bizarre. Now, if there was a fatwa against wasting/throwing away food, it would make sense....
but this is a strange way to go about it.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
All you can eat pork?

That is sinful...

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Actually I live in a country that has gained in Islamic influence over the last 10-15 years. Once the Netherlands were a very free country, but today we ain't nothing like a free country anymore. I haven't personally noticed the change, because I was serving my country and the Western World NATO overseas, battling against Islam. So after coming back to the Netherlands, and being away for almost ten years, i noticed my fellow countrymen gave away almost all of our freedom, because more and more Islamic people feel offended by our freedoms. And even after suffering all this # and now getting treated as some third rank citizen, seeding Muslims having good a good life ,enjoying what they want and they think is good, having jobs, while I see lot of native Dutch people suffering without jobs, without welfare etc. It sometimes makes me sick! Especially because I notice that politicians openly support Islam and defend Muslims against those who try to say anything about the fact that it is wrong And I can go on for hours about this...

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

benrl
All you can eat pork? That is sinful...

All you can eat BACON!!! MMMMMM .... that's heavenly!

Seriously though. Back before I got sick with autoimmune, after church on Sunday mornings we'd go out together as a family and do the breakfast buffets. All you can eat/drink. Coffee with nutmeg and french vanilla creme, omelette with cheese tomato onion mushroom green peppers and covered in ketchup, bacon french toast, tomato juice. My breakfast of choice.

It was a nice family time for after church. The restaurant did well. We did well. It was all good.
NOTHING evil about it.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Bacon french toast????

YESSSSSssss........

do you have a recipe?

I feel bad for people who've never tried bacon. One of mankind's most sublime inventions.
But at the same time, I'm an animal-rights person! It's a real conundrum, I tell ya.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

FlyersFan

NOTHING evil about it.

I have this saying, if God didn't want us eating Pork, he shouldn't of made the little guy so delicious.

But besides that, there certainly is something in general wrong with the decadence and gluttony of a buffet.

With that being said though, I do on average 10-20 sins daily, a buffet being the least of them.

Isn't it great having a belief set that wont damn you for bacon.

ETA: IN a way, Jesus died so I can eat Bacon. loosely speaking that is.
edit on 16-3-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Funny, on Sundays after church we'd go home and Mom would make BLTs. Every Sunday. Then she and Dad would take a "nap", heh. But the BLTs were awesome. Still love them.

Oh, and tomato juice is my juice of choice as well...

But back to the topic - how many fatwas do these guys get to call in a lifetime? Is there a limit? Like - you get to make 15 fatwas as an Islamic leader. Subject up to you.

I don't get it.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I understand why there was the original proscription against eating pork. If you didn't cook it right, you risked trichinosis which is a very unpleasant disease. However, in today's world, it's not necessary. We both know how to cook pork correctly to kill off trichina parasites, and we understand how to make sure most of our pigs don't carry it in the first place.

Sometimes, I think Mohammad had to be the most controlling dude, ever. He saw the old Jewish laws, and decided that would work out well and took the religion from the spiritual freedom of Christianity's doctrine of Grace back to Judaism's doctrine of Mosaic Law, then amplified that times 10.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I always go with how can eating something damn you to hell, the whole, its not what goes into the mouth but what comes out of, because from the heart the mouth speaks.

I had a friend that used to take great pleasure in Surprise porking people that couldn't eat it (he was an ass ok) Carnitas burrito being his chief weapon.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
You must decide the quantity you are going to eat before hand or it offends mr fancy pants?

Imagine the unholy abomination he must see if he were to visit a Golden Corral on a Sunday afternoon. You know I wonder how this occurs, is this guy just sitting in a room thinking... Ok I got the cool hat, how can I F with the avg person today? How may I confound their lives.... What can I bannnnn?

THAT

or

He was at the buffet and someone ahead of him snatched up the last bbq rib and he thought to himself VILE GLUTTON! I shall issue a fatwa, mauahahah...

or at least I like to pretend.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

FlyersFan
A restaurant offers an all you can eat buffet and people buy it. Basic economics and basic supply and demand. It's good business to offer them. It's also a good deal for many people. Welcome to 2014 Mr. Cleric. You are becoming obsolete. From the comments I'm seeing left by Muslims at news sites, I'm thinking this cleric is going to be mostly ignored.

Eat up me hearties YO HO!

Al Arabiya - Saudi Cleric Declares Open Buffets as Un Islamic

The cleric, Saleh al-Fawzan, recently issued a fatwa through a kingdom-based Quranic TV station prohibiting open buffets, saying that the value and quantity of what is sold should be pre-determined before it is purchased.

“Whoever enters the buffet and eats for 10 or 50 riyals without deciding the quantity they will eat is violating Sharia (Islamic) law,” said Fawzan on al-Atheer channel.

Using the Twitter hashtag “prohibiting-open-buffet” (in Arabic), some of the site’s users criticized Fawzan’s fatwa.

Saudi Cleric Issues Fatwa Banning All You Can Eat Buffets

Allah doesn’t want Muslims indulging in all-you-can-eat buffets.

At least that’s what Saudi cleric Saleh al-Fawzan says. On a Saudi Quranic TV station he issued a fatwa –or religious edict -- against the buffets saying dinners should pre-determine the value and quantity of the food to be eaten before buying it, reports Al Arabia.

Also covered by -

International Business Times

Huffington Post

Arabian Business Times - Viewer Comments

“I gather that marrying nine [year] olds [is] halal but sadly buffet meal is haram,” wrote one user, Bee Nish.

“In defiance of the Fatwa... my wife & I head to the breakfast buffet,” said user MooreLiberty.

"I wish one day some sane scholar will issue a fatwa against stupidity,” added another, Omair Aslam.

More on Saleh Al Fawzan

As though they actually listen. I know restaurants in North Carolina that are owned by Muslims and sell, you got it, pork.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I'm just one of those people who could eat bacon or not, it doesn't seem to be my taste. That being said, my Conservative Jewish friend regularly eats bacon when she is not at home.

At home, different story.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

Does she say why? So - it's just customary but not really important, I guess? Depending on the circumstances the rules are gumby!

Very interesting.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
It should fall moreso under general over-indulgence. The local halal shop I go to provides all-u-can-eat buffets of Arabic food on fridays, it's mostly for the Mosque clientele. I can say for sure, no harm is done and everybody is happy. It's actually a service to the less fortunate members, and they likely look forward to it. I'm Vegetarian, there for falafel sandwich, but my question is how is proving all this food, all that people wish to eat, different than a gracious host who feeds his guests all they like?

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

edit on 3/16/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: nm being silly

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Last I checked, Gluttony was one of the seven cardinal or deadly sins in the Christian faith, in particular, Catholicism. To overeat or to be overly obsessed with eating is a sin as it is associated with selfishness and a preoccupation to the pleasure of the self over the need of others.

I am an atheist and even I have respect for the seven deadly sins as I see their value as being a list of vices against both humanity and self. I support this cleric because it seems to me that many have forgotten that these vices were once forbidden.

Seven Deadly Sins

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs
reply to post by WarminIndy

Does she say why? So - it's just customary but not really important, I guess? Depending on the circumstances the rules are gumby!

Very interesting.

I will put it this way, at home she keeps kosher because home is home. She doesn't say anyone else should not eat pork, her son has always eaten pork outside of home. She said that was going to be his choice as soon as he understands about eating pork. So he chose to eat pork outside of home, no consequence, matter of choice.

When I go to visit, she doesn't have bacon at home, but when we go out to eat, she doesn't mind paying for something not kosher, including cheeseburgers. I'm not Jewish so it doesn't matter. But at home, that's home.

I just talked with her a little bit ago and told her that I have come to realize that Jewish identity is individual and in how one identifies with being Jewish, she said that's a perfect understanding. Only Hasidic and Orthodox have problems with eating pork anywhere.

But home is home, even people who smoke or drink might do that away from home. It depends on the individual.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Lysergic

He was at the buffet and someone ahead of him snatched up the last bbq rib and he thought to himself VILE GLUTTON! I shall issue a fatwa, mauahahah...

or at least I like to pretend.

fatwa!!!

cmon ATS I am disappointed that it took over 10 replies for that joke!
It was my first thought!

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

DistantThunder
It should fall moreso under general over-indulgence. The local halal shop I go to provides all-u-can-eat buffets of Arabic food on fridays, it's mostly for the Mosque clientele. I can say for sure, no harm is done and everybody is happy. It's actually a service to the less fortunate members, and they likely look forward to it. I'm Vegetarian, there for falafel sandwich, but my question is how is proving all this food, all that people wish to eat, different than a gracious host who feeds his guests all they like?

I bought falafel from a store, not so keen about it.

I suppose if you really like chickpeas then that's what you like. Is it about overindulgence? I thought as a rule Muslims only ate a little bit anyway. There are rules about that, and they don't eat more at one bite than than what they can pinch with their fingers.

Funny how they don't approve of tobacco, but invented the hookah.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join