It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Answer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Bold claim I know, but hear me out.

The only thing we can be sure of is our own existence.

Regardless of the world we believe we live in, we will only ever be sure of a tiny percentage.

---The above is undeniable---

Live life under the assumption that everything you hold most dear is quite likely wrong.

---That's it---

That's the answer, and the only sensible one I can make of the very little I know.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Krahzeef_Ukhar
Bold claim I know, but hear me out.

The only thing we can be sure of is our own existence.

Regardless of the world we believe we live in, we will only ever be sure of a tiny percentage.

---The above is undeniable---

Live life under the assumption that everything you hold most dear is quite likely wrong.

---That's it---

That's the answer, and the only sensible one I can make of the very little I know.

Your OP is contradictory, you first state that the only thing we can be sure of is our own existence, but then turn around and say that we should life life under the assumption that everything you hold most dear is quite likely wrong. Well which is it? Does existence get a pass here? Are you sure that you exist? What if the universe is a giant simulation in a computer somewhere and we are all just bits of code passing through a processor? Buddhists claim that reality is an illusion as well.

I do like your conclusion, it is very agnostic of you, but you need to expand your thinking to actually include everything instead of making exceptions for things even if they seem blatantly obvious to you.
edit on 14-3-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Krahzeef_Ukhar

Interesting take..

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
if one listens quietly
true spirituality will whisper
no religion about it

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

How about,,,,All we are is dust in the wind...Kansas

For you younger fellows this played during the movie Old School when blue died...

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

I exit. If I exist in someone elses memories, or a simulation or whatever. I think therefore I am. That's the only thing we can be sure of and even that is in question.

Sorta the point really.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Exactly, there is NOTHING we can be sure of. Humans frankly don't have enough knowledge of the universe to be sure of anything, including our own existence. We may never have enough knowledge of the universe to be sure of anything, some things may just be unknowable.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Yes?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Renee Descartes says that the only thing we can ever prove is that we exist, and even that, we can only prove to ourselves. So according to that assertion, my mind is the one and only absolute fact in the entire universe I have observed from the moment of my birth to this very moment. To question that fact is to question existence in itself. And that doesn't lead anywhere helpful or constructive - from my perspective, at least. If there is, in fact, such a perspective at all.

See what I'm saying?

edit on 14-3-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Krazysh0t

Exactly, there is NOTHING we can be sure of. Humans frankly don't have enough knowledge of the universe to be sure of anything, including our own existence. We may never have enough knowledge of the universe to be sure of anything, some things may just be unknowable.

Precisely the reason I separated my poor attempt at an answer with ---xxxx---?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I know, I've been essentially agreeing with you the whole thread. Just kind of nitpicking it a bit.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Hardly thread material but good luck.
Maybe you can flesh this out a little and maybe include some kind of conspiracy theory . You know so that it fits the forum you put it in.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
Renee Descartes says that the only thing we can ever prove is that we exist, and even that, we can only prove to ourselves. So according to that assertion, my mind is the one and only absolute fact in the entire universe I have observed from the moment of my birth to this very moment. To question that fact is to question existence in itself. And that doesn't lead anywhere helpful or constructive - from my perspective, at least. If there is, in fact, such a perspective at all.

See what I'm saying?

I cannot disagree with anything you have said.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

See what I'm saying?

What about all the other minds, that you know are not yours because you observed them in real time without knowing the course of action those minds will take?
Where do they fit into this? How do you relate specifically to having your own free will and then also knowing there are other fractals of the same mind having their free will. You cant claim any thought without giving respect to the potential muses that inspire and drive your motive.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by UltraverseMaximus

How do you know that you witnessed other minds at all? What if you are currently plugged into a private matrix and everything around you is just simulations created by the computer for whatever purpose?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

Yea this thread should have been put into the philosophy and metaphysics forum.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Krazysh0t

How do you know that you witnessed other minds at all? What if you are currently plugged into a private matrix and everything around you is just simulations created by the computer for whatever purpose?

Because I know what reality is and I have tested through experience, the limitations and boundaries.
I know I witnessed other minds because I know my own mind. If you fail to understand this than you simply cannot have a mind of your own. Reality has a computer code yes. Do I care, no. Why? Because I control my perception and not even the puppet masters can do a thing about it. I am being serious here.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

And you know that your brain isn't playing tricks on you how? I'm not trying to be condescending here, I'm just saying that nothing is definite. It's a hard concept to grasp, but it makes sense if you think about it. Keep in mind, just because I say that nothing is definite, doesn't mean that it inherently doesn't exist. I'd say that probability of reality including yourself and others existing is quite high, but I would never say it is 100%.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Krazysh0t
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

Yea this thread should have been put into the philosophy and metaphysics forum.

I just checked the different forums. I thought the choice was between origins and this one.
My bad.
I do however think it's more suited to Religion, Faith, And Theology now that I have realised my mistake

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Krahzeef_Ukhar

That's the Answer?

Thank you! Thank you! I have been searching for the answer for so long; gurus, shrinks, spirit quests, est, Scientology, self mutilation, hypnotism, microbiotic diets and all sorts of other stuff and untold thousands of dollars spent....

An to think the answer was here on ATS in a thread and all my searching was in vane.

How can I ever thank you?

edit on 14-3-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join