It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remembering Steve Irwin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   

This is the interview with Steve Irwin's underwater cameraman, Justin Lyons. Seems like the kind of person anyone could call a friend. He details the events of the video shoot of Mr. Irwin and a massive 8 foot wide stingray that stabbed at him hundreds of times in a few seconds. He says it happened so fast that he kept the camera trained on the stingray as planned and only realized Irwin was injured after the planned shot was complete.

edit on 1132014 by Snarl because: ETA: Part 2 of the interview

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I don't know why the camera man is coming out now ... after all these years ... and telling the world that Steve died 'in extreme agony'. I mean ... that is something that his family doesn't need to be reminded of, ya' know?? It's unnecessary information.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   

FlyersFan
I don't know why the camera man is coming out now ... after all these years ... and telling the world that Steve died 'in extreme agony'. I mean ... that is something that his family doesn't need to be reminded of, ya' know?? It's unnecessary information.

The guy was a good friend. I don't know why he waited so long, but I'd like to think it was out of respect for Mr. Irwin and his family. I was glad to hear him say that Mr. Irwin died calmly. I had just been thinking of him the other day and browsing through some of the videos you can find of his shows on the Internet. This kind of brought a little closure for me.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I was in college and loved watching Irwin. Whether it was him in the wild grabbing all manner of beasties, or just giving an interview, the enthusiasm and passion he showed for Life was awe inspiring.
I always list him on those "Five people through history you could have a beer with" because he was that kind of guy.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
There are few people in the entertainment industry who are "real". Hell, there are few people in LIFE that are real. But everything I heard about Steve Erwin was that he was exactly what he acted like. He was kind, caring, and funny. I have heard lots of different people from different walks of life describe meeting him and they all seem to say the same things. He is someone I would very much have liked to meet.

I hope his family caries on his attitude and kindness.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
That guy was my hero, we saw his show all the time, some people complains he risked his kids life or that he died in a fool way for his reckless actions but i wonder what is best, to reach 90 and just sit all day crapping our self, or do what we want to do in life. At least he died doing what he enjoy the most and dint harm anyone or anything in the process.

For Irwin

edit on 11-3-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

network dude
There are few people in the entertainment industry who are "real". Hell, there are few people in LIFE that are real. But everything I heard about Steve Erwin was that he was exactly what he acted like. He was kind, caring, and funny. I have heard lots of different people from different walks of life describe meeting him and they all seem to say the same things. He is someone I would very much have liked to meet.

I hope his family caries on his attitude and kindness.

I've never met him, but as an Aussie, i can vouch for him.

'Twas a sad day in Australia when everyone learnt of his death...the guy deserves a great statue built in his honour.

Unfortunately, his family hasn't done much to carry on his legacy...besides making more money and launching other endeavours. It seems as if it has become less about the ideologies carried around by Steve Irwin, and more about the money...

edit on 11-3-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Unfortunately, that was my perception as well, from the states...
Our dvr is still set to record Steve whenever he may be on so the kids can see just what you can do with Life. He was an inspiration. Hell, I even had an action figure of him as an adult that would say "Crikey!!!" Or "Look at the Size of that One!" When you pressed his pocket. It also had a croc he could wrestle. Yes...I did play with it. And im not ashamed.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Because of Steve Irwin I can grab a rattlesnake by the tail and show him to my friends. They think I am nuts but his techniques work. Last year in Costa Rica I was diving and found myself in a school of dozens upon dozens of Sting Rays. Usually I would have been all about grabbing one, not any more. Steve taught me that lesson also.

He may have acted like a cracked up wanker upon occasion but I truly dug what he was about. It was a sad day I will always be inspired by him.
edit on 11-3-2014 by Mamatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Crikey!

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I remember all the nasty stuff people said about him and how he died. Things like, "That's what he deserves for messing with the stingray." Stuff like that.

Hearing this made me feel better, and I think it vindicated him a little. From what it sounded like, they weren't manipulating the ray at all. It just get freaked out and lashed out. In other words, it sounds like it was something that could have happened to anyone who swam even in the general vicinity of that animal whether they knew it or not (rays can hide real well).

It was a sad day for the world, but how many people can say they went doing what they loved and felt passionate about?

For what it's worth, I always figured that he'd either get tagged by a snake or get taken out by one of his crocs.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Some of the things the guy got up to were just crazy to say the least!

Its was always going to end in tears im afraid!

R.I.P Steve you certainly had plenty of bottle!

edit on 11-3-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

andy06shake
reply to post by Snarl

Some of the things the guy got up to were just crazy to say the least!

R.I.P Steve you certainly had plenty of bottle!

Yes, but when you say that, you think of it ending because he was directly manipulating something.

In this case, he was simply diving, not actually interacting with the ray. He didn't get attacked because he was touching it or anything.

The camera man says he thinks it may have reacted to his shadow, and if that's the case, any other diver could have caused the same response. In other words, it could have been anyone. How many people swim over rays all the time?

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Buddy even a Cat only has nine life's. Mr Irwin used up many more than that! And more the power to him.

Diving carries with it some risk at the best of times. When your time's up, that's it! I'm not taking anything away from him.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

andy06shake
reply to post by Snarl

I think, deep down, we all knew it would ... and hoped for the best. I found myself holding my breath many times watching him do his thing ... gasping when the snake finally got ahold of him and drew blood.

One of the most telling things about Mr. Irwin, IMO, was that no one tried to capitalize on that last bit of film. There was honor in that.

posted on Mar, 19 2021 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
I had just been thinking of him the other day ... This kind of brought a little closure for me.

top topics

join